2019 Projections thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Projections thread

This topic contains 52 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dan Szymborski’s ZiPS projections for 2019 are out. They are for individual Cardinals players, not the team as a whole. Always interesting reading.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I thought it was interesting that the “outbreak” lineup where all the Cards’ starting lineup missed the whole season would still be projected for an 80 win team. That’s depth.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Also of note…Tyler O’Neill has the best OPS+ projection of all the outfielders. Get that man a starting job! (Says ZIPS, and Bob Reed).

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Stupid Bleacher Report! They rank the Cards as being tied with the Nationals for the best off-season in the National League so far with a B+ score – and tied for second-best after the Yankees in all of MLB.

Don’t they know the sky is falling? They need to read message boards more instead of analyzing transactions and rosters! What do they know? 😉

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2816951-updated-mlb-team-by-team-offseason-report-cards-for-free-agency-trades

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Bleacher report is 100% garbage good or bad!

NJ315
    Participant

Free

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. B+ I thought getting Goldy was an A+++++++++ move. Silly me.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The offseason isn’t over thanks to the glacial market. Those rankings could change.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Certainly two big signings will cause a shift. My intent in referencing this article here is to offer an general opportunity to step back and look at the bigger picture. The other clubs in the division, for example, did not fare well at all in this assessment.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree. The Cards have had the best offseason within the NLC for sure. The Cubs and Pirates have done very little. The Brewers have made a couple of decent moves. The Reds have made some noise but I’m still skeptical about their rotation.

Having said that I wish the Cardinals would take the next step and go from a good offseason to a great offseason. We have narrowed the gap between us and the Cubs but it would be nice to purchase some more certainty. We never “go for the jugular” to use unpleasant venacular. I would like to see us do it for once.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jim Bowden projects his top 15 comeback players of the year. Alex Reyes is no. 9 and Dexter Fowler #10. (The Athletic subscribers)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

VERY different from Fangraphs. Entire NL Central at .500 or better. Division winners include Mets and Brewers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would love to see the fans’ reaction if the Cubs won 82 games. ???

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cubs end up 82-80 I will run into the streets singing and dancing but I don’t see that happening. I see the Cubs more of a 92 win team.

My predictions:

1. Cubs 92-70
    2. Cardinals 90-72
    3. Brewers 87-75
    4. Reds 80-82
    5. Pirates 78-84

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maddon would not be renewed for sure and Theo would start to feel the heat, too.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I think the NL Central is going to be brutal this year with all of the teams beating up on each other. I wouldn’t be surprised if none of the teams win 90 games.

Also, lets not forget many of the top free agents remain unsigned so these projections seem a little premature.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Vegas have under over win totals out? Surely they do with the season around the corner. Maybe they are on the Machado/Harper watch?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Eno Sarris of The Athletic digs into the discrepancy between the win projections for the 2019 Brewers and concludes that he would bet on the higher end.

https://theathletic.com/805821/2019/02/12/sarris-the-one-team-that-projections-cant-agree-on/

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They left out the part that he is a highly-biased Cardinals fan and claimed his fame as the founder of Deadspin. Other than that, I am sure he is objective. 😉

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am guessing that Carpenter does not spend time on message boards.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

to me, for the cardinals to finish first, everything has to go perfectly right and that doesn’t happen often. would I love to see the cubs stay about the same or even perform less, as a cub hater, definitely but I think they underperformed last year and im not sure that’s happening again. I think the brewers should be better. the reds I not sure about. they should be improved but we will see. I don’t think they will get off to the same bad start this year as they did last.

NJ315
    Participant

Free

Even if Carp read the message boards I doubt he would say anything different. He feels that way and he should. I am still not sold on this team too many questions but if Miller, Ozuna, and Fowler rebound then I would agree.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years