2020 Cardinals schedule

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals schedule

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One interesting thing as far as blackouts go, I have been told by a friend is to check into a VPN. A VPN subscription costs, but I have been told you can watch every game. I have MLBTV and not gotten much use yet out if it. But I plan on trying this.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

C27, the VPN approach is not fool-proof. Content providers and pirates are always using technology to leapfrog each other. I’ve read mixed results, depending on the year and VPN provider. Also, I’ve read some customers have had their subscriptions canceled when they were caught using VPNs (terms of use mention that customers shouldn’t circumvent blackout restrictions).

I’d read up on it to see what success people are having this year and which VPN providers are currently working.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well MLB doesn’t have to worry about the Rangers having home field advantage.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, that is the idea. With both Texas teams playing in the AL, MLB decided to have the NL playoff action there. Makes sense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I meant they won’t have to worry about the last place Rangers being in the World Series.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Given Miller’s prominent role in the union, this could signal problems ahead for the bubble plan.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wasn’t the player’s union the one complaing that there needed to be more done to protect the players?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Starting dates by round:

Sept 29 AL Wild Card
    Sept 30 NL Wild Card

Oct 5 ALDS
    Oct 6 NLDS

Oct 11 ALCS
    Oct 12 NLCS

Oct 20 WS

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I can live with a 16 team postseason but something would need to be done about the first round. A division winner who racks up 100 wins over six months shouldn’t be subjected to a best two out of three right out of the gate.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

According to this VEB writer, a 16 team playoff is nothing more than a ruse by the owners to line their pockets. They get more playoff revenue and they would have little incentive to spend on their team since it would be so easy to get into the postseason.

I suppose all of that is true, which is why it would have to be designed to reward the division winners.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/9/17/21441086/expanded-playoffs-are-a-bad-idea

There are two related arguments for why this should not be on the table. It will be easier to make the playoffs and the playoffs will be more random than ever, and those two things combined together means that there’s basically no reason to ever spend on a baseball team again. Why spend on a superteam when you can get knocked out by a 78 win team with two great starters? Why spend money on an 85 win team when that will easily make the playoffs? You’re removing all incentive to try to get better with this playoff change.

Here’s the main problem. Baseball is not a fair sport. Over the long run, good teams separate themselves from bad teams. But in a short sample? Anything can happen. Bad teams beat good teams all the time. The worst teams still win 50 games and the best teams still lose 60 games. The difference between baseball and the other sports with large playoffs is that the better team can be relied upon winning more often than in baseball.

Owners know this. They know that baseball is random in a playoff series. They know that if you increase the playoff teams, it will only increase the randomness. And if the entire season comes down to a random set of games, the only thing that actually matters is making the playoffs. And if making the playoffs is easy, which it very well will be, then you don’t actually need to improve your team.

Players should reject the proposal (and I do believe they have to accept this format for it to happen, much to Manfred’s annoyance I’m sure). The reaction I’ve seen on Twitter from a few players indicates they don’t want this anymore than fans do. Teams would stop spending money on free agents with less incentive to try to get better if they’re already good enough to make the playoffs. Which is exactly why the owners love this idea. More revenue from the playoffs, less money to the players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So many assumptions about matters that are not decided…

First of all, for 2020, the players were guaranteed a minimum of $50 million for this 16-team expanded playoffs – if they can make it all the way through without being shut down. The players’ alternative was to play for nothing, since the current CBA specifies they get a percentage of post-season gate revenues – of which there may be none this year. Any player concerns about having to quarantine (pointing at you, Andrew Miller) is just whining, IMO.

For the future, read Manfred’s comments in context. He did not say THIS expanded format should continue. His point is that the owners like the expanded concept. He also realizes the players must approve it. If the players are assured to get more money, which they will demand before they approve anything for 2021 and beyond, they will find a new format that everyone can agree on.

(It’s not like the players don’t understand what a lowered competitive bar could do to free agency. On the other hand, the decreased revenues across the game is a much bigger inhibitor to salaries than expanded playoffs would be. Again, the players don’t need us to tell them what is best for them.)

Assuming this cobbled-together COVID format will continue next year is a bad assumption. Assuming they cannot come up with a better idea is another bad assumption.

Expecting outrage like in the VEB article was coming, Ken Rosenthal wrote a reasoned article on this subject yesterday.

Personally, I am keeping an open mind…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m a small playoffs person, but understand that money talks. While I understand the theory that anyone can get hot for a month, the best teams still generally separate out over the playoffs. Winning 4 series in a row is tough and the scrub team that sneaks in isn’t likely to hold up over that haul. Now, the thing that definitely will happen is that some of the really good teams will lose first round series, which is somewhat unavoidable. Your 105 win Dodgers lose in a 3 game set to the 78 win Marlins, that sort of thing.

I’ll note that if the owners are set to make more money on expanded playoffs and mediocrity bonus salary suppression, I want the DH, bigger rosters and scheduled 7 inning doubleheaders for every team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Like I mentioned I am not necessarily opposed to 16 team playoffs but only if it is structured in a way to reward teams for winning their division. That way there would be an incentive to win as many games as possible, thus the need to actually be willing to spend to build a winning team. Hopefully a mutually beneficial agreement can be reached.

I guess my skepticism on this came from Manfred saying that the owners viewed the 16 team playoff favorably but there was no mention of them viewing the 7 inning doubleheaders favorably in the future. The conclusion from that is they are only worried about maximizing the $$$$$. I know that isn’t exactly breaking news but it doesn’t bode well for the new CBA negotiations.

And yes Brian you are correct in that is too early to freak out over this. Thanks for sharing Rosenthal’s more enlightened article.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian alluded to this in the game thread last night but I thought I would put it in this thread also.

Personally, I think it is a bunch of garbage. Oh it is fine for us to play 10 games at Wrigley Field but the Tigers can’t stop in STL on Monday on the way home from KC? Give me a break. I thought this schedule was supposed to have the health of the players in mind. I guess someone in our front office must have ticked off Manfred and his goons.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was also a bit surprised by this because logistically, it makes much more sense to play in St. Louis. My guess is that MLB did not want to create the appearance they were giving the Cardinals an advantage.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is an important delineation and is different from what I had thought.

“Thus, if St. Louis needs to play those two games to move into the postseason (or potentially out of it), it will travel to Detroit and play one (or both) games Monday. If the playoff field is set and the games would simply be for seeding, the Cardinals will not play them and will be seeded based on their winning percentage.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More insight from Goold:

The Cardinals offered to pay the Tigers expenses for the day. In a season where the Cardinals have played home games at Wrigley Field and at PNC Park and the Brewers will be home for a game Friday at Busch, such a move has precedent.

The Tigers declined.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/whats-the-deal-with-the-doubleheader-in-detroit-what-if-cardinals-reds-brewers-tie-why/article_64263986-b467-579c-9785-f7e7e79841d6.html

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch, Tigers. That’s a jerk move. I hope the games don’t have to be played, but if they do I hope the Cards reserves pour it on en.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Freaking Tigers. That is a bush league move. The games mean nothing to them in the standings anyway.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For sure, Scotty. We all have “nearly” all but forgot about 1968. I guess 2006 is still a bit too fresh in their minds for these guys. Our boys did lambaste and tattoo those Tigers.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years