2020 Cardinals schedule

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals schedule

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got the Cardinal schedule yet?

Participant

Free

Vs Cubs – 7 in Chicago, 3 in STL

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals Announce 60-Game Schedule for 2020 Season

Team to Open Season July 24 at Busch Stadium vs. Pirates; Play First Ever Major League Game in Iowa as part of “MLB at Field of Dreams” Against White Sox

The St. Louis Cardinals, in conjunction with Major League Baseball’s league-wide release, announced their 60-Game 2020 season schedule. The regionally-based schedule will feature 40 divisional games amongst National League Central opponents and 20 Interleague games against American League Central teams.

The Cardinals will open up the season at Busch Stadium on Friday, July 24, with a three-game series against the Pittsburgh Pirates and finish their 60-game slate at Busch Stadium on Sunday, September 27, versus the Milwaukee Brewers. The Redbirds will also take part in the only game to be played outside a current Major League city when they take on the host Chicago White Sox in the “MLB at Field of Dreams presented by GEICO” game at the site of the beloved 1989 baseball-themed movie in Dyersville, Iowa on Thursday, August 13.

The 2020 60-Game schedule will feature 10 home series and 10 road series, with home matchups against Pittsburgh (July 24-26, August 10-12), Detroit (August 5-6), Chicago Cubs (August 7-9), Cincinnati (August 20-23, September 11-13), Kansas City (August 24-26), Cleveland (August 28-30), Minnesota (September 8-9), and Milwaukee (September 24-27). The club will have multiple road series against Milwaukee (July 31-August 2, September 14-16) and the Chicago Cubs (August 17-19, September 4-7).

The Cardinals will make future announcements regarding broadcast schedules and any possible ticket availability for the 60-game schedule at a later date.

Printable Schedule

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A fast start is going to be very important…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs and Reds is half the Division. Doesn’t seem especially advantageous.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not think it is comparatively advantageous, either. Given those are the other two favorites in the division, chances are that at least one of them plays well out of the gate. So if the Cards don’t, too, they could be in trouble in month two when the schedule gets tougher.

P.S. The schedule might help a tad for the wild cards, though.

Participant

Free

You will never convince me a computer does the schedules. No computer is that dumb. So the Cards get to show the Cubs that they really meant business last season with that 4 game series at Wrigley. Now MLB has graciously given the Birds a chance to repeat it. Stinks.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty much every game is vital this season. I would guess that we may see a lot of short starts and bullpen type games this year. The Cards should be in solid position, with their pitching depth outpacing everyone else in the division. It will also help that they get the Royals for 6 games.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 said:

You will never convince me a computer does the schedules. No computer is that dumb. So the Cards get to show the Cubs that they really meant business last season with that 4 game series at Wrigley. Now MLB has graciously given the Birds a chance to repeat it. Stinks.

You should not expect a 60-game schedule to be totally balanced. As upset as you are about the Cubs getting 7 of 10 games at home, you should be equally happy that the Cards only have to play 3 of 10 in Great American. Considering those are the other division favorites, it balances out, IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is really interesting. Students and families can apparently get into the park when baseball fans cannot.

On a scheduled off day for the team, July 30, the St. Louis Public Schools will hold their graduation ceremonies at Busch Stadium. This is in the midst of a road trip so there should be no schedule impact even if rain comes into play.

I wonder if concession stands will be open. 😉

Participant

Free

You should not expect a 60-game schedule to be totally balanced.

Well I guess my main point of grief is what caused a lot of that imbalance within the division and that is the fact that 1/3rd of those 60 games are against American League teams. Why? I used to think that was the purpose of the World Series. Take away those 20 games and each NLC team would play each other 15 times which really reflects more on the regular season than what is scheduled now. I am sure they are using travel and variety as an excuse but the game has always been played with emphasis on division play not interleague. JMHO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is a season that is not like others in any way.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

While on the surface I don’t like the scheduling imbalance the Cards have with the Cubs and Brewers, I wonder if home field advantage will even matter this year with no fans in attendance?

(Yes I know some owners have stated that fans may be allowed before season end but I declare that to be a pipe dream).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point about fan impact, but there is also the park dimensions and how it plays. I think that could matter even more. That is why I specifically mentioned avoiding GABP and the Reds, because the Cards are a pitching-oriented team. Getting the Reds more at Busch is as much of an advantage as any disadvantage playing more in Chicago is, IMO. FWIW, the Brewers schedule advantage is only 6-4.

There were already a million ways to point out that this season is an anomaly. Now there is a million and one. Personally, I am ok with the schedule and just want them to play ball!

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Brian. Let’s just play the games. The Cards swept the Cubs 4 straight at Wrigley last year with fans. We should be fine without fans.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Plus, I think the Cubs are not cut from the same cloth as the teams in 2015-17. This is an old team that lacks depth, especially on the pitching side. 4th place finishers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Plus, I think the Cubs are not cut from the same cloth as the teams in 2015-17. This is an old team that lacks depth, especially on the pitching side. 4th place finishers.

Their lineup is still plenty stacked but you are right in that their lack of pitching depth may bite them hard. They have already lost Quintana for a period of time. They can’t afford any more losses.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I posted the following on Twitter and was met with a lot of schedule complaining about the 7-3, which affects everyone. Another point made is that they think the Cubs are better than the Reds. My guess is they are Fangraphs followers, which has this division prediction:

Cubs 32 wins
    Brewers 31.4
    Reds 31.1
    Cards 30.8
    Bucs 25.8

IMO, the decimal point “precision” here is just noise. And I think some like to make noise about everything. But to each his own.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Full broadcast schedules added…

Cardinals 2020 TV and Radio Broadcast Schedule Announced

P.S. For those in Memphis and other FOX Sports South/Tennessee locations, I hope to have their Cardinals schedule by early next week.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years