What 40-man roster crunch?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What 40-man roster crunch?

Viewing 16 posts - 101 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good points, C27. All I can offer is a generic observation that we are only a few weeks into a long off-season that may have many twists and turns still ahead.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a shame that the Cards have a need and maybe urgency to trade, while other teams are waiting for the dominoes to fall.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The chance of losing Gonzalez in the rule 5 draft are almost nil. If a team wants him they will take him when he goes on waivers not in the rule 5 draft. That way they dont have to keep him on the big league roster all year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They will need to learn to spell their new acquisition’s first name.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gonzalez was not claimed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish Greene would have had one more chance, but sometimes pruning dead branches will allow others to grow. He didn’t seem to improve much in his short stint here. I am very glad to keep Gonzalez. If healthy, he’ll be back on the 40mman.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Greenes loss also gives Helsley a better chance, although at this point he was already ahead of him any way. (Or Greene dropped)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, forget Rule 5. The 40-man is full again. The Cards have claimed RH reliever Ryan Meisinger off waivers from the Orioles.

Participant

Free

Info about waiver claim

struck out 21 batters in 21 big league innings this year

The results in that small sample were not great, though, with Meisinger allowing six home runs and a 6.43 ERA overall.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

252 Ks in 205 innings with an ERA of 2.39 coming through the minors. Nice pickup.

Participant

Paid - Annual

2 things of note to me about the roster:

1) There are 13 pitchers without options, and there could be lost to other teams when cut time comes.
    2) There are 22 pitchers on the 40 man roster, which seems imbalanced with position players.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I only have 10 without options

Cecil
    Miller
    Shreve
    Gant
    Myers
    Gregerson
    Martinez
    Mikolos
    Wainwright
    Wacha

Leone most likely wont be sent down but I believe he does have an option.

Who else do you think is out of options?

Participant

Paid - Annual

You are right CC. I thought Brebbia and Gallegos were out of options. Along with Leone those 3 have 1 option left each. Mayers and Schreve are on the roster bubble, but Gant had a good 2018 and I wouldn’t want to lose him for nothing. Injuries too, as always will sort some of the roster out. I imagine they might put Reyes on the 60 day DL when they sign a backup catcher?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, just one point to be aware of. There is no 60-day DL until the end of spring training. They could still do what you said though by signing the catcher to a minor league deal now and promoting him when camp is breaking. That is what they have done in recent years.

Viewing 16 posts - 101 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years