What 40-man roster crunch?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What 40-man roster crunch?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, that article doesn’t make any sense.

And I still have no qualms about leaving Schrock unprotected. Name one thing he potentially can do better than a current Cards starter? He may have a slightly better hit tool than Wong, but Kolten hit nearly .300 just one season ago and the glove is superior. I just can’t see a reason he’d be a great loss.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears like MLB spent a half hour or less on rating the Cards top 30 prospects. Capel at 9, Ynfante, Gingery, Perez, and Machado also rated way too high. Gingery maybe since he did not pitch. The others, while having potential had more downs than ups in 2018, IMO.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My roster predictions for pre- Rule 5:

Release Gregerson. He probably might come to Spring Training as insurance. But no loss for me, as a reliever topping out at 90, and a good slider is not a huge loss.

Outright Webb and Mayers. Deal them if any interest, if not maybe they could thru all other teams.

Add Cabrera, Helsley, and Thomas.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think giving up on Schrock right now is a bad idea

he was on fire early last year and stumbled late, he was a major part of the Piscotty deal and i doubt they give up on him after on half poor year, which really wasnt all that poor

i think he has Aaron Miles in him and that is very valuable, maybe even a lot more

Webb seems at risk, but he showed better than Shreve IMO
    Mayers would get gobbled up i think, but he seems replaceable
    Sosa i think is replaceable even though he deserves his shot
    Cecil should just be cut, i think all confidence in him is gone
    Gregerson is borderline cut, but he isnt THAT expensive and could still be useful

We are at 39 right?
    IN-Schrock, Helsley, Thomas, Cabrera, Junior, Urias
    OUT-Cecil, Sosa, Shreve, Mayers, Gregerson

Webb over Shreve is a tough call, Mayers did well but we seem to be investing in better versions of him, and Gregerson gone without a healthy chance is tough too, but Webb showed up last year and is less expensive

The upside help of Urias and Schrock make them worth more than the hopes on Sosa
    Junior still has a high ceiling one way or another i think, and Thomas and Helsley are obvious

It will be tough decisions made…we will be losing some popular folks no matter wahat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lane Thomas will probably get protected, but as Goold has pointed out recently, if Thomas were a LH hitter he would have been on the 40 man a long time ago. This LH/RH imbalance issue is a bigger deal than most folks on this board seem to realize. I think the FO realizes it though. That is why they got Justin Williams in the Pham trade. We need LH hitters!!!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Said it at the time, bringing up and adding Adolis Garcia to the 40 man roster was a stupid mistake.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don`t have a problem dropping Adolis Garcia,Mike Mayers,Edmundo Sosa.
    My additions would be Lane Thomas ,Ryan Helsley,Genesis Cabrera.I like Max Schrock but I would chance getting him thru rule 5.Urias..just another middle in f guy IMO.Same with Sosa.I think both could be useful but other guys take precedence IMO.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

At a minimum, the team needs to make a choice between Webb and Shreve and let one of them go to create a roster spot They are servicable but I don’t see anything irreplacable.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Information starting to trickle out. No official press release yet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Greene and Derian Gonzalez end up in Memphis.Neither is MLB ready or close.Kind of surprised with Urias being added.Tommie Edman can probably handl the utilty role late next season and he is a switch-hitter with speed.
    Could be there still might be a move or two before he deadline today.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

At least they picked the best 4 to protect. I had Thomas 3 snd Urias 4 but was debating switching that.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adolis Garcia stays. I’m tempted to start a fight with CC over this, but I wouldn’t enjoy it, so I’ll let it rest.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Fernandez and Schrock were not protected and put on the Memphis roster. Any chance the Padres claim one of them? lol

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I think the Padres have a full roster right now. But the Diamondbacks only have 33 on their 40 man.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not thrilled about Gonzalex being exposed to the draft over Mayers, Gregerson, and of course Cecil’s waste of as roster space. I hope he goes unclaimed.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mud, A.Garcia should stay. He would get claimed on waivers otherwise. The point is he never should have been called up in the first place. He didn’t even need to be protected in the off season from the rule 5 draft. Williams or even Thomas could have taken his 4 hitless at bats.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure why they called him up either. Seems like there wasn’t another player that was any more ready the A. Garcia at the time. Still, there had to be somebody with authority who wanted to give Garcia a look rather than choose another player. He definitely was a bust for the time that he was up. But I’m thinking that he’s one of those players that could emerge quickly once he gets comfortable.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Regarding Adolis Garcia, its par for the course on shoddy roster make-up and management.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To be fair A. Garcia was literally destroying AAA pitching at the time of his call up. It wasn’t like he didn’t deserve it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From a pure logic perspective, I have to side with CC on this one, though I am not overly riled up about it. The issue was not whether Garcia was deserving. It was a roster management question based on the real need at the time.

It is not as if Garcia was needed to start or even got a real chance to do that. He made two starts and had 11 plate appearances his first time up. Instead, they could have just called up Justin Williams for the few days a backup outfielder was needed and saved the 40-man roster spot for someone else.

Yes, that would have also meant that Garcia would not have been called up for the final month-plus, during which he had the whopping total of six more plate appearances and some late-game defensive replacements. Contending clubs do not play green rookies in September.

In hindsight, holding off adding Garcia to the 40-man this year means they could have saved Derian Gonzalez, Conner Greene or perhaps Max Schrock or Junior Fernandez now. Each reader will have to decide how important that particular trade-off really is.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I understand what you are saying but I think the FO thought Garcia might be able to offer a significant contribution when he was called up. It turns out he didn’t and is mostly remembered for a base running blunder but I don’t fault the organization for trying to put the most talented available AAA player we had at the time in a position to try to help the team make the postseason. If Garcia had gotten a big hit to win a game in September that pus in the postseason few would care if it cost us Schrock or one of the others but it just didn’t turn out that way.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t see this as a hindsight matter. As I recall, CC first brought up his concern at the time Garcia was added.

Williams or Player x could also have had a big game-winning hit in September, but that is all a bunch of “what ifs”. The roster move happened. It can be defended, but it was questionable at the time and the jury remains out on its ramifications.

To muddy the waters even further, even if one of the four players I mentioned is lost in Rule 5 and becomes a Hall of Famer one day, we have no way to know if he would have been the one kept with Garcia’s spot.

“What ifs” are one of the fuels of a message board when real news is scarce! 😉

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, in your analysis of Gallegos’s prospect status, you mentioned a couple things that makes the latest roster moves seem inconsistent.

1) Mayers and Schreve are both out of options. Derian Gonzalez would have 2, OR 3. Wouldn’t this factor in on your decision on who to keep, given that Gonzalez also looked very good in Spring Training.

2) The possibility that Schreve could be non-tendered since he has reached arbitration, and would make 1.2 million. I know this is not MLB big money, but it seems like he doesn’t have that much value. The only saving grace is he is left handed and the Cards are in short supply. I guess he still could be non tendered if we sign say, Andrew MIller, so he is some sort of insurance.

3) With a full 40 man roster, there is no more room to sign a free agent, or participate in the Rule 5 draft.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.