What 40-man roster crunch?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What 40-man roster crunch?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Wiley
    Participant

Free

Right now we have 44 players (including 60-day DLs), we’ll lose Norris, Ross and Adams as free agents. I’m pretty sure Carson Kelly will be kept as the backup catcher in 2019 so DFA Pena and resign him to a minor league contract. That brings us down to 40. So who do we really need to protect? Helsley is #1 on my list. Do we need to keep Shrock and Urias or are they redundant? Tommy Edman is on the rise, with Sosa waiting in the wings already, so I’m not worried about losing either. Someone might wrongly gamble on Cabrera as a Loogy for the season or take Fernandez to be that 8th man. Wadye Ynfante could be taken in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft, although I could be wrong on that. He had a horrible year, but he can bounce back. So to answer my own question; I need spots for Helsley, Cabrera, Fernandez and Ynfante. The solution is to DFA Derian Gonzalez, Patrick Wisdom, Connor Greene and Brett Cecil. Let Cecil relieve in Memphis and earn his way back to the majors. We can’t trade Cecil, but we can let him be claimed. If some team takes Wisdom then good on him. We need room at the top for Elehuris Montero anyway. If there is a chance we’ll sign free agent players like Rosenthal and Donaldson, then we can DFA Ynfante and Greg Garcia at a latter date. This of course is subject to Mozeliak doing nothing to improve the team again trade wise. Ozuna being the outlier. Did anyone really notice him this year, he was suppose to be the difference maker. Anyway, that’s my take on things.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ynfante is unlikely to be taken in the major league portion of the rule 5 draft. He doesn’t need to be on the 40 man roster to be protected in the minor league portion

Lane Thomas also needs protecting.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Thanks CC, I’d protect Lane Thomas over Ynfante for sure. Thomas has had an Andy Young type progression, although not quite as good. It will be interesting to see how much Lane can improve next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was just finishing our upcoming Player of the Year comparisons this afternoon so want to comment about Young vs. Thomas. In counting stats, the latter finished ahead of the former this season in doubles, triples, homers, RBI and steals. Thomas is also two years younger and has moved faster. In the percentage numbers, Thomas looked a lot like the improved Patrick Wisdom this season.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Wisdom would be a fairer comparison because of the low batting average for sure. Young has been a more consistent player when it comes to making contact. So I agree with your assessment that Wisdom is the better match.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If my math is right, at least 9 players will be in their third (and final) option year in 2019. Perhaps some with no options, or those with options and deemed worth the risk of losing will be outrighted just before the Rule 5 draft deadline.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley, Thomas, and Cabrera must be protected. Maybe Urias if they create enough openings. The rest of the eligible players probably wouldn’t be claimed.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think Fernandez will be claimed if not protected. Better projection than Perdoma and performed at a higher level. Would not be surprised to see Shrock claimed but harder for him to stick with a team all year unless he is 100% ready. Depending on a team’s needs and what they like, Ellis, Ramirez, and evem Dombrowski could be selected. Some think Ortega would be at risk of being taken but I dont and wouldn’t hurt much if he was.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

CC – I think you mean Bryan Dobzanski, but heck if management were available in the Rule 5 draft that would be pretty cool and Dave Dombrowski would probably get taken. Maybe John (baffle them with bull$#!t) Mozeliak would get taken by San Diego.

On the whole, there’s no one I’m really worried about losing this year other then Ryan Helsley, so the rule 5 juggling act shouldn’t be that difficult.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock to me is not a loss even if he is taken. A no power 2B only prospect is not very exciting to me. Edman, Young and Muñoz all look better IMO and Sosa is probably a wash if you had to choose between the two.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sosa’s negative is only one option left.

Part of the issue with Shrock is whether the FO can stomach the idea that all they got for Piscotty was Munoz

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder about Conner Greene. His control issues haven’t improved since
    joining the Cards organization, including his AFL performance thus far.
    Will he keep his spot on the 40 man?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Barring a trade, I think Conner Greene is definately at risk. We might get lucky and he might pass through waivers but with 2 options left I doubt it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Step one.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure hope they don’t lose Derian Gonzalez. I think he has potential as a reliever.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pena was outrighted and went unclaimed as expected.

Cardinals Part Ways with Greg Garcia

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Brian:

What does outrighted to the minors mean?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Removed from the 40-man roster and unclaimed by other organizations. There is more detail in the article.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So D Gonzalez is now available via Rule 5 draft. But going unclaimed on outright makesv it less likely. Still seems rather strange the pecking order of their 40 man roster, as he wopuld not have been my #40, 41 or 42.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

C27, where are you getting that D.Gonzalez is no longer on the 40 man roster?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gonzalez is not listed on our 40 man roster per our site. He is on AA roster, unless that is an oversight. Not that I agree with removing Derian, the timing would be right as Pena and Garcia have been removed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only 40-man roster listing in one place here at TCN is on the Roster Matrix, which was just updated yesterday. Those players’ names are in bold. Gonzalez, who is assigned to the Springfield roster, is among them.

In addition, on the Springfield roster, you can see “40-man” listed at the right of Gonzalez’ entry.

Players on the 40-man can be assigned to any level from St. Louis on down.

I have no knowledge of a roster move with Gonzalez at this time, though I guess he could have been put on waivers and the alloted time for teams to decide whether or not to claim him has not passed yet. I guess we will see.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Brian, I am glad you cleared that up. Seemed odd that Gonzalez, who had a very good spring, would be removed before other possibilities.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other possible casualties currently on the 40 man roster:

Greene- Very shaky in the AFL with terrible control. Throwing 100 mph means little if is out of the strike zone. The FO probably will keep him on the roster through 2019.

Bowmann- I see this as very likely. I am assuming he is healthy, and can be released or outrighted.

Gregerson- I doubt the Cardinals will eat 2019 salary, but a roster spot has value.

Sosa- He had his cup of coffee and on a 3rd option next year, again doubtful they would not give him 2019 to prove himself, given the AAA infielders that are free agents.

Cecil- Wishful thinking, as mid 2019 might be the earliest he will be off the roster.

Fowler- Looking for a Leake type deal, where we pay part of the salary. or trade for an albatross contract. Again wishful thinking, and far less likely than Cecil being removed. Seager and Greinke have been mentioned as players who could be swapped. Problem is, his value is near 0.

Wisdom- A personal favorite of mine. He has value as a cheaper version of GYorko with a lot of similar qualities.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would cerrainly add Webb to the above list.

Mayers is also a possibility. Dominating at times but struggling at others. His biggest negative is that he is out of options.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.