Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t say Carp was worse than Jose. I said we might need to move Carp to get a high caliber player in return, such as Simmons, Donaldson, Yelich, Stanton, etc…..

If we do that do we turn 1B over to Jose (making league minimum) or go after Hosmer and his $100M contract?A GM has to think of budgetary issues also. It might make sense to move a guy making $28M the next two years instead of a guy making the league minimum if the production isn’t that different.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My latest ideas:

Re-sign Lynn
    Re-sign Nicasio (if he is effective this month)
    Trade for Simmons and Bedrosian
    Trade for Yelich
    Sign Hosmer? (if we move Carp and if we don’t think Jose can handle it)

Players I would consider trading: Carp, Gyroko, Fowler, Cecil, Diaz, Grichuk, Piscotty, one or two of the young OF’s, and any young pitcher not named Reyes or Weaver. Obviously not all of those would be traded but that would be the most logical group to pick from.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d being willing to bet that Matt Carpenter’s numbers would increase dramatically if he were traded to another organization. His first year at the new club would be a wake-up call, and in the second year he would be playing for a new contract.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My reasoning for making the link of Carp being worse is that I think Jose is worse than Carp…thus degrading 1b…if it is to acquire an upgrade somewhere else great..but we degrade 1b

i get your ideas though…i just dont think anyone will value Carp high enough to make him worth dealing after his down season this year…even if it is injury related…

as for your latest ideas:

sign me up, if we could pull that off…THOUGH I would say that trading for Yelich and Simmons/Bedrosian is going to be VERY expensive in terms of prospects so i am not sure we could pull of TWO big trades like that without severely hurting our depth or forcing us to invest in FA’s to fill gaps

i do think we need to add a backup catcher to that list though…unless we really plan on Kelly playing 1 game a week for the next 3 years

Any team will want Weaver and Flaherty if they want a ready to go young pitcher…and both the Angels and Marlins would want at least one ready to go AND probably one close in deals for their superstars, the Angels need hitters too and we could help them with that but the Marlins need pitching mostly nd know the value of Yelich…and i dont think they take on salary to move him and have no reason to sell him cheap in any way

-Simmons Bedrosian deal, we MIGHT be able to swing Diaz + Wong or Gyorko + Flaherty +another at least but i see no reason they’d want Carp with Pujols and Cron there…eating up 1b and DH……or you coudl throw a deal like Kelly _ FLaherty at them with DIaz and maybe that woudl stick…they might have SOME interest in an OF so that coudl help

-Yelich deal…we could mightbe able to keep it low cost if we had Weaver available…but if not I dont think Hudson + whatever will entice anyone unless they really want Kelly…theyd probably want a replacement OFer too…but it wont be Fowler or Pham or Piscotty…probably not Grichuk either… Bader is probably the high value guy and Sierra is close

nevertheless if we add:

Simmons at SS…we need to move at least one MLB infielder if not two
    Hosmer at 1b we have to move at least 1 more MLB infielder
    Yelich we have to move at least 1 MLB OFer
    Lynn forces us to move one of Wacha Weaver Flaherty..and if only to AAA then we still need 40man space
    BEdrosian and Nicasio are two more RPs…they replace Oh and Duke on 25 man…so that plays out well and Rosy’s spot is taken by a youngster

to make it all work I might see: (if it all worked out in our favor …which it will probably not)
    Simmons and Bed
    for
    Diaz + Kelly + PIscotty + Hudson + Arozarena

Yelich (they force Dee Gordon into the deal to save money)
    for
    Flaherty + Bader + Wong + Tuivalala

then add the guys you say we add and you have:

-Cmart, Lynn, Wacha, Waino, Weaver
    -Nicasio, Lyons, Bedrosian, Cecil, Bowman, Brebbia, Sherriff
    -Carp(2b),Pham, Yelich, Hosmer, DeJong(3b),Fowler, Yadi, Simmons
    -backup catcher, Garcia, Gyorko, JMart, Grichuk

is it a better team?…probably…

As for the players to consider moving…

my untouchable list is:
    Reyes, CMart (value and upside is way too high to move either of them)

Guys that won’t be traded for various reasons:
    Yadi, Waino, probably Fowler and Carp

but that’s it

I like all the other players, but i think we have the depth to move around several pieces to get what we want and still have a good system and have good depth

im babbling..

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Okay, here’s more babbling.

Sign a top tier closer if we can find one. Otherwise, it will have to be Alcantara, Wainwright etc.

If Nicasio is worth his asking price, bring him back.

Re-sign Lynn as long as his demands are within reason.

Cardinals offer Piscotty, Grichuk, and Flaherty to the Marlins for Stanton plus $50M. (That, no doubt, sounds absurd to a lot of posters. But don’t forget that the Marlins have a mandate to dump whatever salary is needed to get their balance sheet in order. And there doesn’t appear to be a rush of teams wanting to take on Stanton’s contract as is. The sale price is reportedly $1.2B. It would seem that Loria would be able to comfortably take back the $50M in order to close the deal. The downside for the Cardinals is that they will ultimately have to pay an aging player $25M in the last year of his contract. BTW, if the average ticket price is $50. and the attendance is 3 million paying customers, about $8.00 of that $50.00 ticket is going to pay Stanton.)

Find out if Donaldson will sign for a reasonable contract. If so, offer Kelly and Matt Carpenter to the Blue Jays for Donaldson. (I don’t think I would trade Kelly for anything less than a Donaldson-type player. But, if I thought there was a reasonable chance of getting a top tier shortstop, I’d go for that instead. Then, move DeJong to third.) P.S. I’d rather see the ball bounce off Jose Martinez’ glove once in awhile, than watch Carpenter do his back bend routine at the plate, then take ball four.

Like I said, more babbling.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we don’t re-sign Lynn we need to sign a veteran innings eater to a one year deal to bridge the gap. I’m thinking someone like Lackey or RA Dickey.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking Scott Feldman who had a solid season on a losing team. Solid not spectacular guy

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He will be pricey but I think we have to consider JD Martinez this off season. He is off the chain.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I know the power #s aren’t the same, but I’d like the Cards to get Miami’s Yelich.

Is that Jack Clarke? I’ve been wondering for a while.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes it is Jack Clark. The ’85 team was my favorite Cards team ever.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Joel Sherman of the NY Post recently had a column where he mentioned that the Cards and Mets might make good trade partners this off season. The Mets need OF’s and we have a surplus. He specifically mentioned Dexter Fowler as a possibility. From a budgetary point of view I would like to move Fowler, however, he is one of the few LH bats we have. We don’t need an almost all RH lineup next year.

It also occurs to me that the Mets desperately need a 3B considering David Wright’s injuries. I don’t know much about the Mets farm system but how about we send them Grichuk or Pham, Piscotty, and Gyroko in exchange for Matz and Harvey. Both pitchers have had injury problems so we would be buying low. Matz has four years of control left and a ton of potential. Harvey has one year of control left and might be suited to put in the bullpen to see if he could recapture some of his old glory.

If we could sign JD Martinez we would have an outfield of Fowler in LF, Martinez in RF, and CF could be Grichuk or Pham, Bader, Sierra, etc… Carp maybe could slide over to 3B and Jose could play 1B if we don’t sign Hosmer or Morrison; or Carp could stay at 1B and DeJong could move to 3B if we could get another SS (Simmons of course would be the dream scenario.)

PadsFS
    Participant

I have no idea how to value the trade value of Tommy Pham. His vision issues and age kill most of the value, but he’s one of the top 15 players in baseball this year!!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham is definitely hard to figure out value for.. i think there are plenty of caveats that any other gm could bring up that might be true but still dont change the fact that he has performed as well or better than most other OFers…

ultimately i think we will keep him, perhaps using our OF depth as a fallback option if he diminishes…

i was thinking the other day about how to value Pham if i was given the opportunity on another team to acquire him…lots of flags, but the production is real and dynamic…i was trying to think what type of player i’d deal for that?

what i ended up thinking was a fallen top prospect with potential upside but a faded prospect rating….maybe a guy like Profar….PEraza from the Reds?? I;d wonder if a guy like Healy would match up

and even after that I still didnt know if i would WANT to deal Pham for anyone like that if i were the Cards…

Way i see it…we hold him, and worse case scenario he fades back into the 4th OFer we all figured his role and future woudl be…which is still pretty valuable…best case scenario we get a dynamic hard nosed player for a few more years…

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

If you keep him and trade fowler you eliminate a lot of the negatives by putting him at a premium position.

That ops in center gives him top 3 or 4 in of value (still way behind trout but still. .900 ops nothing to sneeze at with cheap control).

You can also sell him as a cf pretty easily with the same logic in my opinion. Might not get everything you wish for but you’d get quite a lot.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would trade Pham in a NY second.I no reason to believe he can repeat his season next season.Cards have other younger options.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

As far as I’m concerned we need to trade at least three outfielders… And I agree.

PadsFS
    Participant

I wonder if we could get Seattle to do another trade. Weaver’s value is at an all-time high. They will definitely decline Iwakuma and Gallardo’s options for next year. Thus they’ll have F. Hernandez, Paxton, Leake, and M. Gonzales in their rotation. How about a trade centered around Luke Weaver and Jedd Gyorko for Kyle Seager and Edwin Diaz? We would get a MOTOH that can play 3B for several years and a closer. They get a Seager replacement and a rotation piece for the future.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Weaver’s value now may not be close to his future value. I have some good feelings about him being with the Cards for a while. How about CMartinez and DeJong… they’re at peak value now.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t know that Weaver can last 200 innings. He had 120 innings in 2015, then another 120 innings in 2016, and he is at about 130 this year.

Martinez has gone 180, 195, and will top 200 this year.

PadsFS
    Participant

Weaver also still doesn’t have an effective curve and has abandoned his cutter.

It’s not terrible, but it’s something to monitor. Wacha was very, very similar when he came up with the elite fastball/change-up combo that dominated the league in 2013, incl. the playoffs.

Crazy that rotation consisted of Wainwright (2.94 ERA), Lynn (3.97 ERA), Kelly (2.69 ERA), Miller (3.06 ERA), and Wacha (2.78 ERA) plus Garcia and Westbrook.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If we trade CMart, aim for Arenado, Trout or Freeman.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why trade Weaver?Give him a chance for at least half a season to see how he does.He improved tremendously since last season and with the question marks after Bluehair and Wacha is never a sure thing to stay totally healthy.Wainwright is likely done as a reliable effective starter.Alex Reyes probably will have to be eased into very reduced role next season.Flaherty still very young.John Gant is another option to start.Lynn probably chases big money elsewhere with the premium on Starting pitchers.Otherwise you have a young bunch like Herget,Zac Galen,Ryan Helsey,Austin Gomber,Dakota Hudson to battle for a spot next Spring training.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still think Jay Bruce OF would be a prime target for a big bat.He recently said he wants to stay in Cleveland but maybe money talks.I think Hosmer stays in KC since he is a priority with KC.I think Moustakas stays also.hat leaves JD Martinez,Todd Frazier,mark Reynolds,Lucas Duda,Logan Morrison,Yonder Alonso as hitters .Duda -Matt Adams version 2.Mark Reynolds-been here before.Yonder Alonso-good 1st half,not much 2nd half.Logan Morrison-career year in free agency walk year,caution flag up,seems i read somewhere Morrison is nota positive influence in the clubhouse and is rarely welcomed back.So that leaves D Martinez and Todd Frazier-Frazier having poor season but still has okay OBP and power and can play 3B-1B.Might be a little cheaper because of down season and turning 32.I think Jay Bruce,Mike Moustakas,JD Martinez should be big targets for the Cards with Todd Frazier as a option if unable to sign any one of the big 3.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like you never hear of one organization trading a top prospect to another organization for one of their top prospects. Not sure why. Here’s a trade that I think makes sense. Trade Carson Kelly to the Reds for Nick Senzel. We could use a third baseman, and the Reds could use a top tier catcher. The GM’s could modify this trade in some way, if need be, to make it happen.

PadsFS
    Participant

I believe the Reds are going to move either Senzel or Suarez to 2B, when the time comes to bring Senzel up.

They also have Scooter Gennett and Dillson Herrera for 2B for the time being.

I think a more likely move would be to land a younger 3B that’s lost their prospect status, like Nick Castellanos.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.