Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Listened to MLB Radio this evening. The announcers believe that the Hosmer and Moustakas markets may be leaning in the Cardinals favor. The Longoria trade hurt Moustakas and the Moreland signing by Boston indicates that the primary target of Boston is J.D. Martinez. They did not mention Moustakas having any formal offers and that San Diego appears the only club to have a formal offer of a deal to Hosmer.

Both players are winners and could help the Cards. Carp has been told to be prepared to play multiple positions (assume this means 1b, 2b and 3b). So signing one or both would appear to be consistent with what Carp has been told. However, signing both or just Moustakas may indicate Gyrko may be moving. Signing Hosmer leads me to believe that Gyrko may get the starting 3b and Carp rotates on a daily basis.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

So the Rockies have signed Shaw. Nothing else can be considered a fortification.

Gregerson has had ONE bad year as a reliever. It is not much worse than what Oh provided for the Cardinals last year. Broxton, Siegrist and Socolovich are all worse than Gregerson. I would take a bullpen of Cecil, Bowman, Lyons, Brebia, Gregerson, Tuivailala, and a closer over the 2017 bullpen. I would hope to sign/trade for 2 relievers.

Who of those players that the Cardinals came in 2nd on do you think they should have signed?

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

If you miss the playoffs two years in a row, shouldn’t you be looking for the biggest roster upgrades possible?

Ozuna accomplished that in terms of position players. The Cardinals next biggest headache last year was the bullpen. How much of an improvement do you see in this bullpen over the last one? Are you saying it is addition by subtraction?

Last offseason, the Cardinals painted themselves into a corner. They said they were going to improve the outfield defense by getting a center fielder. They waited and waited for the market to come to them, and because everybody knew they were looking for a CF, and everybody knew the supply, they ended up waaaayyyyy overpaying for Fowler. His best offer the previous year was 3/$33, the Cardinals gave 5/$82. Did their valuation model really change that much based on one season’s performance, or did Fowler have all the negotiating leverage because there weren’t many CF’s to be had and the Cardinals were only looking for CFs?

This year, the one free agent market that has been active is the reliever market. Most of the players that have signed are relievers. If the Cardinals wait too long, it is going to be the same situation. If all the relievers are gone, and they are zeroed in on Colome, they are going to waaaayyyy overpay in terms of prospects to get Colome.

Leverage is a big factor in negotiations. The Cardinals could have signed a setup man or two that profile as possible closers, just to give them a little extra leverage in negotiating for a closer. They didn’t, and now everyone who they negotiate with has an advantage, like Fowler did last year.

NJ315
    Participant

Ozuna only is not the answer. They need in order of my preference one of Hosmer, Moustakas, or Donaldson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could trade Gyroko, Grichuk, and Wacha that would free up enough payroll space to acquire Hosmer, Archer, Colome and Darvish or their equivalents. At that point, I would say we would be ready to compete with the Cubs. Less than that we are playing for the wild card.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals are still about $6 million under last year’s payroll (using $11 million projected for Ozuna and $12 million for Mikolas/Gregerson). And they have an additional $50 million in revenue from the new TV contract. And they have been talking about “payroll muscle” for years.

They don’t need to free up money.

They need to upgrade positions where it is sensible to do so.

Hosmer is an every other year type player, Carpenter is consistent. I think the Cardinals value consistency.

NJ315
    Participant

Hosmer is 28. Don’t like then Moustakas he is 29. Don’t like him either then Donaldson but he is 32.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are currently at $146M. If we get rid of Gyroko ($6.5), Grichuk ($3M), and Wacha ($6M), that puts us at around $131M.

We add Archer ($6.5M), Colome ($6M), Hosmer ($22M), and Darvish ($22M), that puts us at $188M, which is getting us close to the luxury tax.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free
    NJ315
    Participant

Two Cardinals. I never thought Hosmer was great. He is good, he is 28, and we should get him even if we pay as if he were great. They need to get younger and Ozuna and Hosmer is a good start. Yadi’s contract awful. So was Leakes’s and Fowler’s. Go younger.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We arent getting Darvish…. i have heard ZERO talk about him even considering us nor our interest in him… he has had several meetings with teams and i have heard zero about him meeting with StL…nor StL wanting a meeting

at least we heard SOME rumblings of Arrieta…

trade for Archer and Colome and sign Hosmer and a FA backup catcher…

Hosmer doesnt have to be the answer to the offense as Ozuna is here…and both mitigate either from feeling pressure

Archer is cheap and VERY VERY good and still young enough to not be in decline at the end of his reasonable contract (11mill)..he will outperform his money easily…ARcher’s ERA and low win total is a reflection of poor offenses and being in a crazy offense division

Colome is young and cheap and has shown he can do the job when called on

Hosmer at 20mil…seems high but will be what is required…even at 6yrs he still ends his career at 34 and only barely touching normal decline age….WAR is worth about 9million so he only needs to be a 2 WAR type guy to be worth his 20million

Archer and Colome are worth top end prospects…ability, age, control, and performance are all top notch…the Cardinals prospects we’d lose MAY be good enough to carry the team in a few years…but this team is trying to fix itself right NOw…not in 3 yrs…. the plan seems to fix this NOW… the prospects are nice but they are hopes… Reyes + Kelly + Grichuk + Hudson + Gomber + Tuivalala
    I’d prefer Kelly, Hudson, Wacha, Grichuk, Fernandez, etc….. but i dont see how we get them without including Weaver or Reyes… the deal would be giving up a lot of good talent…more than most would feel comfortable with…but that would the cost of getting such good players that have almost zero downsides to them and proven performance… suck it up and move on…

we are dealing to win now…we have plenty to do that and still have good prospects that will be left…the cupboard would be far from bare

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If waiting until December 9 is waiting for the market to come to them, I must have a different definition. When Fowler signed, only Steve Pearce and Carlos Beltran had signed and the Nationals had acquired Adam Eaton. Did they overpay, yes. He shouldn’t have been playing CF after about 2 months into the season and still shouldn’t. We gave him the opportunity to prove his defense had improved….it hadn’t or he made it better to get the contract. They tried and he didn’t perform bad offensively. He had a .921 OPS from June 1 to the end of the season.

As far as the bullpen goes, we need a closer and I would prefer to have another reliever, as well.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I wonder if Martinez can play 1B? I am starting to think that his bat at 1B would be better than any other option IF he could be an OK defender. I would also only want to sign him to a 5 year deal.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Prior to acquiring Ozuna, I made the case for Martinez with the idea he could move to 1B after Carpenter’s contract was up. Even after acquiring Ozuna, I still think Martinez is our best chance for a significant offensive upgrade via free agency.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Still dont know how to delete a post.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose Martinez did play 1B last year. The coaches and manager worked him into it as the season progressed. Derrick Goold from the Post-Dispatch has stated that he believes that Martinez will be playing a lot of 1B. I think that’s part of the reason we hear talk of Carpenter being a ‘super-sub’. Martinez made some great plays but he also made some of the same Little league errors that he made in the outfield, meaning that he loses track of the ball as its getting close to his glove. I have a suspicion that that’s why he never got a chance with the Royals. I hope he’s okay because I like his enthusiasm and I like his bat and I like the really good plays that he makes. I’m rooting for him.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think the discussion was about JD Martinez – at least mine was.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, there should be a line of choices on the far right of the gray bar that has the time stamp on the left. On the right there are six words: EDIT MOVE SPLIT TRASH SPAM REPLY, though some may be exclusive for moderators. Anyway, TRASH is the one you want. You only get five minutes after posting to make changes, though.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, I see that it was about JD Martinez. I keep thinking Jose is going to be our third baseman. JD in a Cardinals uniform isn’t going to happen because of outrageous cost and bad defense.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Mine was about JD Martinez, as well. I don’t want to sign him for the OF unless we get rid of Fowler. Even then, in a year or 2, he would need to play 1B. I think the OF prospects will be good enough to play by then.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like JD Martinez but he would require an extreme overpay and he can’t play defense. He needs to be in the AL.

As for Darvish, I haven’t read about him being connected to us either. I was just wishing. I think he will age better than Arrieta.

The idea of using Carp and Gyroko as supersubs and signing a LH 1B to platoon with J. Martinez has some merit. We could get a LH 1B fairly cheap. Logan Morrision would be an overpay but what about someone like Adam Lind or Adrian Gonzalez if he is physically able? That would leave us enough money to get an elite starting pitcher and an elite closer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One problem I see in signing another first base-only player is the Matt Adams situation redux. One valuable roster spot is tied up on a player that can do nothing else.

As a result, the Cards could not run with eight relievers, as they did for much of 2017. The bench would be set with Martinez, Gyorko, Garcia, Grichuk and Kelly.

(Morrison last played any meaningful time in the outfield in 2012. That train appears to have left the station long ago, so let’s not go there, please.)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not advocating for Morrison. I think Lind or AGon would be the better value, assuming AGon can physically play. We would have plenty of versatility with Carp, Gyorko, Grichuk, and JMart.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I’ve noticed in reading all of these threads is that everyone has a reason to not acquire another player.

JD Martinez: too expensive and can’t play defense
    Hosmer and Moustakas: too expensive and don’t provide enough WAR
    Darvish and Arrieta: too expensive and too old
    Donaldson and Machado: only one year of control.
    Archer and Colome: would gut the farm system in trade.
    Davis and Holland: can’t spend big money on a closer

I understand these concerns but guess what, as the team is currently constructed, we are probably a 86 or 87 win team. That isn’t going to catch the Cubs and probably not going to get a wild card so we are going to have to suck it up and do something!

NJ315
    Participant

No worries the will sign Machado next year. They will give him 350 for 10 yrs. Problem solved.

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years