Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arizona has announced a two-year deal with Japanese RH closer Yoshihisa Hirano. $6 MM total with another $1 MM in incentives.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No worries the will sign Machado next year. They will give him 350 for 10 yrs. Problem solved.

I appreciate your sarcasm.

My point is that at some point we have to stop worrying about what is going to happen five years from now and get aggressive to win NOW!

14NyquisT
    Participant

It looks like Cole to the NYY is a done deal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure it is a done deal yet but it sounds like they are getting closer.

Yankees have certainly won the offseason so far.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the best thing that could happen to the Cardinals rotation would be to get Lance Lynn back. No way we should offer him five or six years, though. And if Alex Cobb thinks he can get 20M/yr., what on earth must Lynn be thinking?

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Gscottar:

That’s the problem with this front Office. They play scared. They’re so terrified if trading away a prospect that might become a star that they sit on all of them until the wash out and they have nothing. As long as they are scared the team will stagnate.

NJ315
    Participant

Please no Lynn. He is not that good.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Hypothetical:

If you were the Cardinals front office, and you were trying to upgrade the team now and in the future, would you trade Michael Wacha for $25 million per year of Zack Grienke’s contract AND 1 or 2 prospects?

Greinke is due $31+ million each of the next four years, but in this hypothetical, the Cardinals are assuming $25 million per year.

Wacha is projected $3.2 million this year, and is under team control this year and next.

Diamondbacks are rather desperate to get out from under Greinke’s contract, as he accounts for more than one-third of their payroll.

So,
    1. Would you make the trade?
    2. Which two prospects would you seek in return IF you would make the trade?

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t make the trade Greinke seems on shaky ground to me so I’d keep Wacha in that case…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FYI, Cot’s is projecting Wacha to earn $6M this year.

Yes, I would strongly consider doing that deal but instead of getting prospects I would ask Arizona to eat a little more of Greinke’s contract.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Pavin Smith and jasrado Chisholm is where I would probably go with that.

1b who will hit and should develop some power. Good eye.

Toolsy ss with big upside, younger and did passably in the midwest league.

Not sure I would take all of that contrAct for those two.. But that’s who I would look toward.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Free

I like the idea. Without looking at the expert forecasters, I would guess that there is less difference in their expected WAR’s than there is in their Salaries. If that is indeed the case, then we could take a prospect or 2 in exchange for the surplus value.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Here’s the logic behind that type of trade:
    – An “average” to slightly above average pitcher like Lynn or Cobb is going to cost you about $15-20 million per year in free agency
    – Greinke offers the upside of being an ace, even though he is two seasons removed from pitching like one
    – Greinke has pitched 200 innings in four out of the last six seasons. His lowest innings total was 158. Wacha has exceeded 158 in two of his five seasons (last year pitching 165)
    – Some have suggested getting the Diamondbacks to eat more salary – this is a trade the Diamondbacks are forced into doing to unload salary, and the Cardinals would only do if it strengthens them now and in the future (thus getting prospects back).

My choices would be Drew Ellis, who played LF and 3B in college, and Matt Tabor, a young pitcher with a lot of upside.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

A writer’s take on how the Yankees make trades

Yankees-Cole

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free
    NJ315
    Participant

Carpenter is not underrated. He is 32 yrs old. Has had many nagging injuries including fatigue. I like Carp but he is better suited as a DH. His production will start trending down. It has already. This is one writer’s opinion so why would it change the mind of those of us who would rather have a younger and stronger 1B?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate saying it. But to me Carpenter plays like a rich and entitled major league baseball player. I don’t see the enthusiasm. I don’t see the drive. He looks like he’s doing everybody a favor whenever he comes up to the plate. I know my opinion is nothing but subjective, and that I could be reading it wrong. But that’s how it looks to me. That’s why I’d rather see Jose Martinez play first and let Carpenter be the ‘super sub’.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind finishing the offseason with:

Adam Lind
    Archer or Arrieta or Darvish
    Reed. Colome, or Davis

A bat, a starter, and a closer. If we don’t get Donaldson or Machado right now we should go for a platoon at 1B with Lind and JMart. I don’t want Moustakas or Frazier because that would block us from pursuing Donaldson and Machado in July or next winter.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I don’t see the point of Adam Lind. Get somebody who can play SS, or don’t get anybody at all for the infield and rely on Memphis if there is an injury. We have three first basemen – Carpenter, Martinez and Voit.

Trade wise, Barraclough or Streckenrider from Miami make more sense than Colome. Worst case, we take on Zeigler’s contract to get one of them. Best case, trade Grichuk and pay his salary since Miami is going to be starting two AA outfielders.

With Tampa, they probably want 3-4 prospects for Colome. I would choose to sign Reed over Davis, but I don’t think the Cardinals will pony up for either.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I want nothing to do with Barraclough. I can’t believe he has lasted this long in the majors.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lind and JMart could platoon at 1B. Carp or Gyroko would become super sub. We already have a SS. Donaldson could still be in play later in the year.

This isn’t the time to go cheap on the bullpen if we aren’t going to get another big bat right now.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

We have one SS and three 1B’s, and you want to add a 1B?

The path of least resistance as far as relievers is free agency – just pay a closer. But if you read Derrick Goold of the P-D, they seem set on trading for one or developing their own. Because they don’t like to pay for past performance, only future performance.

Given the Cardinals have now twice in ten years traded multiple prospects for a player, we can assume Colome is out of the running, as Tampa surely wants more than one prospect going back.

So, who is a closer or setup man with closer capabilities on a team that we can get in a 1:1 trade?

OR, do you just go into the season with Tuivalala as the closer?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have one SS and three 1B’s, and you want to add a 1B?

The path of least resistance as far as relievers is free agency – just pay a closer. But if you read Derrick Goold of the P-D, they seem set on trading for one or developing their own. Because they don’t like to pay for past performance, only future performance.

Given the Cardinals have now twice in ten years traded multiple prospects for a player, we can assume Colome is out of the running, as Tampa surely wants more than one prospect going back.

So, who is a closer or setup man with closer capabilities on a team that we can get in a 1:1 trade?

OR, do you just go into the season with Tuivalala as the closer?

Carp is not just a 1B. He can play 3B or be a super sub. Voit doesn’t have to be on the big league roster. He can go to Memphis. Lind/JMart would be a good platoon.

I don’t think we really know how they are going to solve the closer issue. At this point it could be trade or FA.

I wouldn’t base our current decisions on how we have done it in the past. The FO has acknowledged, at least verbally, that they are going to have to get out of their comfort zone. The Cubs becoming a superpower and dominating us is forcing us to re-evaluate our philosophy.

No, I would not go into the season as Tui the closer, unless we really enjoy 2nd and 3rd place in the standings. A lot of names could be in play: Davis, Holland, Reed, Colome, Herrera, Hand, etc….

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I have pointed out when other first baseman platoon additions have been suggested, do you understand/care that it would preclude the Cards from carrying eight relievers, as they did for much of 2017? The roster limitation is one reason Matt Adams was traded away.

P.S. Why are you suggesting Carpenter is a better third baseman than first baseman? Just an honest question. I haven’t seen the data, but my eye test conflicts with this assertion.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have a 1B platoon wouldn’t necessarily do away with an 8 man rotation. Gyroko could be traded for example. That would mean a bench of Kelly, JMart, Garcia, and Grichuk.

The reasons for going for a Lind/JMart platoon is that it would be much cheaper than signing Hosmer and probably not a significant reduction in Hosmer’s production.

I’m not suggesting Carp is better defensively at 3B. I’m still keeping the door open to a Donaldson acquisition at some point. Carp could then be moved to 2B or super sub role.

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years