Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The rub always seems to be years and money.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Carioca:

A word of advice regarding MO. Do not believe ANYTHING he says. Believe what he does.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agreed, but also pointing out that just because it was on the Cards official site doesn’t make it the position of the team.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i have been interested in Archer and Stroman as a starting pitcher upgrade and both seem like they could be available…but both teams seem to be stuck in the middle…so why not switch gears to a team who is rebuilding now

Tigers and Michael Fulmer…he is cheap and been good…and there have already been murmurings of the Tigers moving him and just about anyone on the team to help the rebuild…they could use young outfielders and starting pitching and though Fulmer is the type of guy they want to keep they know his value is right now and they wont be in it for a while

and look they have a nice under the radar reliever who can close who would be great too in Shane Greene

i might even be interested in Jose Iglesias as a Andrelton Simmons-lite….

Fulmer and Greene
    for?
    a lot, but probably less than we think…but we’d get some pretty good young guys back

combine that with the Stanton deal

and a trade for maybe Colome

and boom you have a scary lineup…a bolstered pen with two quality back end arms..and a long term starting pitching upgrade which could mitigate losing any young starting pitcher prospects in the deal for him or Stanton

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager- i thought Fulmer had arm surgery late last season

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep

3-4 month recovery and would be ready for spring training

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Saw on msn that there was an article about who each team should go after in terms of trades and free agency, for the Cards they had Avisail Garcia from the White Sox as a much cheaper alternative to Stanton, and for the White Sox Bader from our AAA roster, they had Stanton going to either the Giants or the Red Sox…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

No way in heck would i trade Bader for Garcia that helps us ZERO again

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i dont see who Garcia helps us especially at the cost of Bader…now if that deal happened and we got Garcia AND Abreu…and used BAder plus some other prospects…i’d understand the thinking

Garcia + Abreu
    for
    Bader + Hudson + Helsey + ?

that’s 2 years of control of Abreu and Garcia..both being FA’s in 2020

i could get behind a deal for those guys

we’d probably also have to find another deal too to clear up some outfielder and infielder (now) glut…but maybe like the deal i said above for Fulmer and Greene, or Stroman and Osuna, or Archer and COlome..well maybe just Colome…

how about:
    Colome
    for
    Flaherty + Diaz + Voit (they need middle infielders and a 1b…FLaherty is the key though)

and

Stroman
    for
    Gyorko + Sierra/Grichuk (whether they want power or defense) + GGarcia/Sosa (if they want aprospect more than utility) + Seijas (they need an outfielder, and Gyorko is a good contract and power, Garcia helps their middle infield too, and Seijas still has upside)

I am tempted to use Kelly in these deals…and wouldnt be against it

but adding:
    Abreu + Garcia provides some fear with Abreu and more pop with Garcia…
    Stroman takes away the need for Flaherty to be our backup to Waino…and doesnt rush Reyes
    Colome slides into the closer role

we lose depth in the outfield but ti’s still deep…Carp is at 3b which isnt great but manageable i think… we lose some starting depth..but we really dont need it with such a young rotation…and Reyes is still there

lots of moves…but we dont take on crazy salary…clear up our gluts…and make the team better all around without sacrificing Reyes or Kelly potentially..

thinking out loud…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I often forget to look wbo wrote a thread before I start reading it. But when I am in a thread and realize it is really long with a lot of spitball proposals, I never have to go back and look who the author is! 🙂

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If you think Garcia’s 2017 was real (I have no opinion) he is worth much more than Bader. I would bet on Garcia more so than Grichuk or Piscotty. But I would prefer a more sure thing.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with that assessment too…

But if we can’t pull off Stanton perhaps the fear for the middle of the lineup could come via Abreu. And backing up that with Garcia would give us 2 yrs of a solution instead of a 1 yr solution of Donaldson or long term openly investments in potential fear of Hosmer or CarGo.

Also, and apologies if I am wrong.

I don’t know if you’re trying to be condescending (and I interpret it that way as you use the “spitballing” word even though I didn’t put it in the post and of some reason several posters seem to believe that I am somehow insulted by you making in of that entirely normal and commonly used idiom when discussing ideas) but I am happy to post exactly how I do you don’t have to agree or discuss if you don’t want. I’ve made it abundantly clear over and over that I don’t ncesarily think any proposal I hypothesize on or put forward Ian my opinion. Or even the best or even appropriate. It’s a means to think through thoughts that I think or are influenc d by other ideas or posts. Lambasting me or my style is not really worth anyone’s time. Participate or don’t. But I’m allowed to post how I want just like anyone else

I am VERY interested in continuing the discussion on Garcia but I wont respond to anything future about the potential personal attacks on posting style or word usage that have no place in a discussion about trades and trade ideas rumors etc.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If you take a simple observation as criticism I’m sorry. If you see that little thing at the end of my comment it was supposed to be a smiley face but I guess this site doesnt support those. I certainly didnt say anything even insinuating that your right to post as you see fit should be restricted or even that I want it to be.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have zero interest in Garcia.

I would have interest in Abreu.

I also think Cargo would be a good complimentary piece if we could also get an Abreu, Donaldson, or Cozart.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLBTR lists the Cards as a good match for Brad Hand.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

At 5’8″ and 180 lbs. Stroman is a good candidate to have a short career as a dominant pitcher. I wouldn’t be willing to give him a lucrative long term contract.

There are 71 pitchers, including the Negro leagues stars, with plaques in the Hall of Fame. Of those, only 17 are under 6 feet, and all except one played most of his career before World War II, with most playing in the late 1800s and first decade of the 1900s.

In fact, there’s only one Hall of Fame pitcher under 6 feet who played his entire career in the post-Ruth era – Whitey Ford of the Yankees. Ford has the highest winning percentage of any starting pitcher in Cooperstown.

Lincecum looked promising until he fell of the proverbial cliff a few years ago. The only exception I can think of is Pedro Martinez.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t you mean two HOF pitchers – Ford and Pedro?

Since Carlos Martinez is a listed 6-0, he could not join them, though he is close (in stature at least).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we don’t get Stanton, I say let’s sign Cargo and either Cozart or Hosmer, then focus on trading for Archer and Colome.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really dont want to hand CarGo a big contract

and i dont know why a big contract to Stroman is something that is being discussed?

he is arb eligible until after 2020…even at his short stature picking him up for low money for 3 yrs of good play is not bad

same goes for Garcia and Abreu…it isnt that any of them are perfect players…but they have more than one year control and would give us flexibility of sending them away if they dont work out without losing too much..BUT while we’d give up some good pieces to get them all 3 are good right now and would help for the control of them we do have…2 yrs of two power hitters…and 3 yrs of at worst a #3 young hurler

cozart for super cheap is intriguing…Donaldson for 1yr is a waste of the talent we’d have to give up to get him unless he comes for nothing (which he wont)….CarGo is trending down, JD will cost 30mil, Hosmer at least has age on his side and some good defense, but he isnt a scary enough bat IMO, Moose is an injury and performance risk IMO but has age on his side, Morrison seems a big risk for performance

I just dont see the FA market being worth the investment it seems like it will take to land the true impact bats we seem to need…to me JD works as a solution but the price is too high…and outside of him i think it’d take two gusy to fill the need for impact we need.. Homser and Moose…Morrison and Moose maybe…Moose and Morrison maybe…

Stanton is an obvious target
    Abreu is too
    Garcia alone isnt worth the look
    Ozuna is a good target but at what cost for 2 yrs? similar to Abreu and Garcia in what id give up but i
    think the Fish woudl want more
    Yelich has great contract but isnt as impact as we seem to be targeting…
    Longoria might be a target but is getting old and isnt as much of a threat as we are looking for…but if
    he was required to get ARcher and/or Colome id be interested i think

any other trade targets for the bat in the lineup we want that might actually be available?
    Machado, Trout, Arenado, Harper, Goldy arent…who else woudl have the kind of impact we are looking for?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good move protecting Derian Gonzalez. (I had a feeling the Padres would have taken him, as they could have for the third year in a row.)I have always been high on him. He could move quickly as a reliever, and we need relievers for sure. Too bad we couldn’t find a spot for Wisdom. Seems funny for a team not scoring runs to bypass a player who hit 30+ home runs. I would like to at least seen him play for the Redbirds, given that they gave CHad Huffman (who??) a chance. Also, Martini might make someone a good 4th outfielder.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Washington’s FA Brandon Kintzler seems to be on the Cards’ radar screen. He could be a perfect fit.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess i just dont get the fascination with Kintzler… can someone educate me on why he is a really good fit for us?

14NyquisT
    Participant

ESPN released that rumor saying that the Cards and Rockies were suitors.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Report says Cards offered Piscotty and Grichuk for Stanton. I am assuming such a low offer would indicate we’d pay Stantons entire salary.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also if Stanton has anything close to his production in 2017 for the next 3 years, he may opt out. With Harper, Machado, and Trout hitting free agency salaries, their salaries will sadly get ton$40-$50 Mill a year.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.