Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

This topic contains 173 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I recall a Cardinal broadcast from years ago where a ball was sort of topped and hit slowly to the right side of the infield. Hernandez ran in and grabbed it, and Jack Buck goes something like “Slow roller past the mound, and there is Hernandez….boy he’s good”.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody please slap me soundly for saying something nice about the cubbies, but the only 1st baseman I’ve seen in Hernandez’ elite defensive class, would be Mark Eugene Grace.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Dibs tix please

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

so cal, you are the winner. Please contact me with your mailing address. Either pull my email address from the bottom of the article or use the CONTACT US form in the red menu bar at the top of the page. Congratulations and thank you for reading. I think you will enjoy the exhibits as I did.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Thanks Brian.
    We are in Minneapolis now for college. I hope we can drop down for a couple games in late May. I’ve been a couple times when it was in with the Bowling HOF so another visit is def in order!

First stop: visit the shredded shirt shrine!

Frank.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The larger half of Freese’s uniform top is there, his left side. The other part is in Cooperstown, if I remember correctly..

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I remember! Kicking myself for not adding ‘shared’ to my alliteration!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tom Alston was mentioned way back when this thread began.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I voted for tudor and morris. tudor is a no brainer to me, he pitched awesomely for the cardinals and that’s what you are voting on here in my mind, not overall career. in fact, you could argue based on his cardinal records and stats, he is one of their best pitchers. morris was also a really good pitcher for them. if I was just purely voting without other considerations I would take rolen over morris cause I think rolen is one of the best third baseman ever period and definitely belongs in cardinals hall cause he was great when he was here but I usually vote for the older of the candidates that I believe deserves it cause as time goes on they will get less votes normally.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I voted for Hernandez and Tudor.

Hernandez seems like a no-brainer to me. He was co-MVP in 1979.

The second vote came down to Tudor and Rolen. I went with Tudor because the 1985 team is probably my all time favorite (despite Denkinger) and Tudor’s season that year was just unbelievable.

Maybe I can vote for Rolen next year.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

gscottar, cant fault a vote for Hernandez. it still bugs me he went to the mets back in the day. but a great first baseman he was.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, Hernandez’ actions surely caused him to be traded, but I don’t understand how he can be blamed for the destination. Besides, that has nothing to do with his accomplishments while a Cardinal, which is what matters here.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Interesting that the Alston uniform display is from ’56, the year the Cards did not have the Birds-On-Bat jersey. He came up in 1954, but perhaps the earlier uni’s are no where to be found and a ’56 is all they could get. He only played in 3 games in ’56, the least of any of his years in the majors, so that is a rare one.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…and on Hernandez, his book written sometime in the late ’80s talks about the deal to New York. He did not want to go there, as the Mets were going through tough times then. He talked about some sort of sign they had when you approached Shea Stadium – do not recall exactly what it said, as I read the book some 30 years ago. But it was something like “The Magic Is Back”, and Hernandez said the Cardinal players all made fun of that sign as the Mets were still bad.

But as it turned out, he hit town just as they were bringing up good young players and rode the wave with them.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt Mike. During the middle and latter half of the 80’s I think the Mets were the Cardinals biggest rival. We had some ferocious series against them. The Cubs were pretty much an afterthought except for’84.

That rivalry with the Mets may influence some people against Hernandez but as Brian pointed out we are only supposed to evaluate what each player did in St. Louis. I know it is difficult to block out the rest of his career though.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

when you vote for someone, its your vote. so basically you as the voter set your own criteria. I agree a players stats with another team or teams shouldn’t figure in but withholding a vote for a player because they ended up playing for a rival or in the case of the cubs an enemy, is perfectly fine. in this case it was a rival. now I was young and it was before 24/7 sports news so I didn’t know why he got traded or how he ended up a met even but didn’t really matter. though I may soften as time goes forward if he doesn’t get in this year. I stand by my picks this year regardless.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tudor is an absolute no brainer, so for me it’s him and Morris. I wouldn’t tab Rolen because he would select Philadelphia over us if he were to ever be enshrined. And you know Hernandez would have went in as a Met if had made it to Cooperstown…..so nuts to them! I’m not putting either in our Hall.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With all respect, Pugs, you are wrong about Hernandez. If you had read his book that came out last year, you would know he still considers himself a Cardinal today. I won’t change your mind, but I at least wanted to set the fact straight. After all, we want informed voters. 😉

Regarding Rolen, he pretty much seemed to be angry about everywhere he left. He is a very private man, so I have seen no clues about what he might do. There is no doubt that his greatest successes were in StL. He never played in the post-season in Philly or Toronto. Seven of his nine playoff series were with the Cards.

1982 willie, I agree 100% that voting is an individual matter. I can only share what we discuss as we consider who gets on the ballot, as that seems relevant.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it should be Rolen and Hernandez. They were great all around players.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You did change my mind as I never would have dreamed that Hernandez considers himself a Redbird, Brian. Appreciate the enlightenment! I now have to go Tudor and Hernandez……with a nod to Mr. Morris.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I sense it is kind of like a home town. No matter where you live later on, you grew up in that prior place.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe a long stay in the Met’s press box will change Keith’s mind…. if it hasn’t already(what year did he write his book?). Now he’s a New Yorker and doesn’t remember where he was born. I doubt that he even follows the Cardinals anymore, and IMO he would choose go in as a NEW YORK Met. He’s as NY as a bagel.

Who really knows what he considers and would call it a FACT?? Sorry, not on board with that. People change their minds anyway.

The two most deserving are Tudor and Morris.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, Hernandez’ book focused on his early life and his Cardinals career was released less than 10 months ago. I recommend you check it out from your local library and read it. Then we can have more of an informed discussion.

https://www.amazon.com/Im-Keith-Hernandez-Memoir/dp/0316395730

Also, coming up on April 18, former teammates Lou Brock and Hernandez have a speaking event scheduled at Busch Stadium, with Danny Mac moderating. In the book, Keith gives Lou a lot of credit for helping him as a young Cardinal.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/cardinals-to-host-an-evening-with-lou-brock-and-keith-hernandez/c-303875468

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years