Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Viewing 8 posts - 426 through 433 (of 433 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Willie. Comiskey was gone from St. Louis by 1892. If the position is that Comsikey did not play for the organization, then what are they doing? Alternatively, if his play with St. Louis in the 1880s was not MLB, then what are they doing? It is not a HOF for non MLB players and it is not for players who did not play for the organization.

It should be noted that Comiskey’s career stats in STL are not really HOF worthy on their face. They gain prominence in the context of the American Association, and the St. Louis teams’ successful years in it. Overall, he is most notable for his role in the founding of the American League. I don’t really favor him or Von der Ahe for the team HOF. Not because of the era, but just that neither did anything HOF worthy IMO.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well bling I don’t have an issue with him getting in. I’m not one of those that think a player lowers the standards just because they aren’t as great. It’s called tiers. It’s like a birthday party. Not everybody deserves one but I have no issue with everybody except myself having one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Comiskey was player-manager for teams that went to the World Series four consecutive years, winning one and tying another. How many managers in team history can say that?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have made my opinion known before on this, and am firmly in the camp of the Cardinal organization originating in 1882. As a kid when I first became interested in baseball history, everything I read about the Cardinals started with the 1880s Browns. Books by Bob Broeg and J Roy Stockton that my dad had, and now and then getting a listen to Sports Open Line on KMOX when Broeg and/or Bob Burnes would host, would reference those early powerhouse clubs. Broeg wrote a book in 1981 subtitled “100 Years of Cardinal Baseball.”

I can understand differentiating the team’s time between the AA and the National League if they want to do that. But the franchise that is today’s St. Louis Cardinals was formed and first played major league baseball in 1882. That is clear.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am excited to be making some headway on the 1882-1891 years. Hoping to share more soon.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The chap looks like the prototypical Good Humor Man…….Biff Jones was his name….I think.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps if you overlook the black eye…

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well where is Charlie’s ghost. Let’s hire him now

Viewing 8 posts - 426 through 433 (of 433 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years