Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Viewing 19 posts - 376 through 394 (of 394 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

I mean Harry is a part of our broadcasting history. It should be considered.

And if this is a cub thing then it’s immature. I thought about this the other day. It’s cute and rivals are nice but I consider most any team an enemy whose trying to take what’s ours. I might hate LA and Boston more.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree 858. Harry was an iconic part of Cardinal history. My parents and grandparents listened to him on the radio every single night for years and years. I understand he may not have left the organization on the best of terms but I imagine most fans don’t worry about that. What is crazy is that most younger fans, especially Cub fans, don’t even know that Harry was with the Cardinals. A lot of Cub fans think he was always in Chicago. Some people need a history lesson.

If we are going to require Cardinal HOF members to have spent their entire career with the Cards then membership will shrink a lot.

I think Steve Carlton should get serious consideration as well. I bet his numbers in St. Louis would compare to John Tudor, even though most people remember him as a Phillie.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Some guys just end up having a big impact on multiple organizations, but that should not detract from their contributions to either group. Harry’s Cardinal legacy is every bit as strong, maybe moreso, than his Cub contributions. Plus people forget that he called White Sox games for 11 years as well.

Gussie Busch actually wanted Harry back around 1976 or so, when Jack Buck was going to be doing a network show and it looked like Jack would not be calling Cardinal games anymore. But Harry was with the White Sox and at that point decided to stay put. I am sure Gussie’s tantrums probably did not help, as Harry might have felt he could be tossed out again when Gussie was upset about something he said.

But Harry was no angel. There were all sorts of rumors of him crossing the line in Gussie’s world when he was fired after the 1969 season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great news on Simmons. He was a childhood hero of mine in the 70’s.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ted Simmons was my favorite player back in the day. Hated when he got traded though from bad things sometimes good happens. Im going to two games coming up, so will get to see the statue. Very deserved.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Me too, Willie. Simmons, Herr, McGee and George Hendrick were my childhood favs. I was about 5 years old when I first started following the Cards…..Dick Allen totally ruled. I vividly recall Jack and Harry calling his homers on the radio. It really seemed as if he homered every other at bat. In Janesville, Wisconsin, the radio signal would only come in when the sun went down. Early evenings were always a challenge in locating the perfect position to point your antenna. It was a constant struggle in contorting the radio in a myriad of different positions. Once you found that sweet spot, you still couldn’t rest easy, as in a minute or two you’d start losing your signal again. After around 10pm, it was pretty much clear sailing, as it would come in as clear as a bell. West coast night games were a thing of beauty.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea right there with you pugsley with all those guys. Allen was a little before my time far as a cardinal. It was the mid to late seventies for me but I really became a bigger fan in the eighties.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Simmons was my favorite Cardinal in the ‘70s as well.

I loved it when we got Richie (later “Dick”) Allen in the deal with Phildelphia, although I was a little concerned about giving up McCarver. But the plans were to have Joe Torre go back to catcher, and that seemed like a great lineup with those two.

After things went a bit sour for the Cardinals and Allen in the latter part of the ‘70 season, they dealt him to the Dodgers for Ted Sizemore. I did not like that deal at all and thought the club should have stuck with Allen for awhile longer.

By 1972 we were playing Matty Alou at first base, while Allen was winning an MVP. Sounds a bit like the current club.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How many statues are there around Busch Stadium? And who are the players that have statues?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stan Musial
    Enos Slaughter
    Dizzy Dean
    Rogers Hornsby
    Red Schoendienst
    Lou Brock
    Bob Gibson
    Ozzie Smith
    George Sisler
    Cool Papa Bell
    Jack Buck
    Ted Simmons

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The St. Louis Cardinals will hold a special ceremony outside Busch Stadium this Saturday at 2 pm, unveiling the new bronze statue of Hall of Famer Ted Simmons.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They just gave out the replica plaques for the cards hall of fame to tommy herr, John Tudor, and Keith Hernandez. Well deserved by all but I was hesitant on Hernandez. But he actually kind of choked up so you know that it meant something to him. Changes my opinion a little bit. While I liked Keith I was a really big fan of Tudor and herr. Kind of wish I could be there for their red jacket ceremony. I look forward to seeing their name on the walk of Fame next time I go probably next season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And remember that the Hall with the plaques on the second floor of BPV is free. If you have time while there, I highly recommend the Cardinals Museum as well.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep I love the museum. I went there with my son when we was in for a couple games two weeks ago. Got to hold a stan Musial bat. That was pretty cool. I was kind of surprised at how light it was. You might have thought a bigger guy like him would have used one a little heavier. Also first time I realized they had a walk of Fame. Didnt know it was called that til watching them give out them plaques today.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder that this is induction day. With MLB.TV having finally added pregame and postgame shows, perhaps those outside of the Bally Midwest area can catch the festivities, too.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw where cubs have set up their hall of fame. Has 56 members. That’s the biggest farce in history.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

55 members of the Ricketts family and Ernie Banks! 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 376 through 394 (of 394 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years