Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 548 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Well byciclemike, I totally agree with you on carpenter. I’m going with carpenter far as last 25 years or so but other than him, morris would be my guy. Going further back would be more complicated but I’m trying to stay closer to current.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

If you didn’t see Hernandez play you missed a player that is in another league compared to those being voted on. He didn’t ask to be traded. Should he have just quit playing? An all time Cardinal great should be in the Cardinal Hall. If not it isn’t legit.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If you didn’t see Hernandez play you missed a player that is in another league compared to those being voted on. He didn’t ask to be traded. Should he have just quit playing? An all time Cardinal great should be in the Cardinal Hall. If not it isn’t legit.

From a brief meeting and dialogue with Keith a year ago, I get the sense he really wants to be in the Cardinal’s Hall of Fame. It would mean a great deal to him. He knows he made mistakes when he was younger – most of us likely did things years ago that we now look back on and think now how dumb we were for doing it.

But he came through the organization and played 10 years as a Cardinal. He identifies with that as much or moreso than as a Met, even though he has been involved with them in his post season career. When pressed for an answer between the two organizations he has said, “I am a Cardinal”. He would be thrilled with enshrinement here, and I hope he does not have to wait for the later induction from the veteran’s group.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the reminder. I just voted for Keith Hernandez.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Big news coming on the pregame show this afternoon! Catch it if you can!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow, this a great class!

Hernandez, Herr, Tudor, and White. All Cardinal legends in my book.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well a lot of your guys got your way. The bum got in. Now at least I won’t have to see his name on the next ballot.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great to see Keith finally get in, and with another great Cardinal first baseman as well. Both guys with similar numbers in their Cardinal careers. Both win a bunch of Gold Gloves.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Nice chat with Hernandez. Deserved to be in awhile back, but wrong righted.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

lol Willie! Will you be boycotting all the hof ceremonies and games as well for the next 20 years?

A 6 time gg, 2 time all star and 1 time mvp is now classified as a bum now. I’ve heard it all!

1982 willie
    Participant

No 858 I won’t. Hernandez was one of my favorites early but something about him just rubbed me the wrong way and then he became a met which is almost as bad as being a cub,back then anyway. Was the best defensive first baseman I have ever seen, he deserves it but I wasn’t going to vote for him.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not too mention a World Series ring with the club. Keith now in two franchise Halls of Fame. Who else might have that distinction? Frank Robinson has to be in both the Reds and Orioles Halls.

Going back aways, Eddie Collins could be in the Athletics and White Sox HoF. If Arenado stays here awhile he could get to ours and the Rockies. Matt Holliday might one day do that as well.

1982 willie
    Participant

I would think barry bonds though I don’t know.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paul Molitor maybe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What about Reg-gie?

Some teams have Monument Parks. Some retire numbers. Some have Halls of Fame. Some have two. Reggie is in Oakland’s HOF and has a monument in Yankee Stadium. His number was retired by both teams.

But no one can top Nolan Ryan, who is in three Halls – Astros, Rangers and Angels – all with retired numbers too.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Just spitballing here but would the Cardinals consider fast tracking his Cards HOF to next year or if Waino and Yadi retire they all 3 just get in? It’s something to consider IMO.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good call on Nolan Ryan, Brian. Reggie too. Molitor and Bonds are good ones as well.

Got a dark horse candidate for the veterans to consider as a Cardinal Hall of Famer. Larry Jackson. Has a higher Cardinal WAR than anyone not named Hernandez on this years latter-day players ballot. Number 9 on the team’s all-time list for pitchers. Pitched 8 years with the club, 429 starts, 101 wins.

Under-rated career – lifetime WAR just a little less than Koufax. Pitched on mostly mediocre teams, so never got a chance to pitch in a World Series.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Larry Jackson is among those reviewed by the committee.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sort of a random thought on this Saturday morning, but now that Keith Hernandez is in the Cardinal Hall, not too mention Bill White who is much deserved, there is only one other major omission. And that is Harry Caray.

Once Harry Caray gets inducted, I think the Cardinals’ Hall will have all of the obvious selections to date. Then going forward, we will see some additional historical members enshrined who made an impact, not only players but perhaps coaches and possibly scouts as well.

But I cannot think of anyone who had the impact on Cardinal baseball that Harry did and who is not already in the Hall.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Over the last two months, each Monday, Marilyn Green has been highlighting the Cardinals Hall of Fame case of a different non-player. All were good, but here is the Caray piece specifically.

St. Louis Cardinals MLB Notebook – Week of April 12-18

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Harry was a big part of my early years as a fan. I can still see him hanging out of the booth with his net trying to snag a ball. Listening to him on my nifty battery powered transistor radio under my pillow so my mom wouldn’t know I was listening after bed time. But man, it is hard to embrace anyone so tied to the Cubs in more recent memory. The sight of that hideous statue one walked past coming up to Wrigley from the Red Line station is forever burned into my retinas.

1982 willie
    Participant

No harry is etched as a cub broadcaster in my memory, that’s where he belongs.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 548 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years