TCN’s 2023 Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2023 Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They have Jhon Torres as #47 but he was released last September. The lost 2020 season seems to have knocked him off the rails.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson is a lefty that the shift can’t touch. I have admired his ability to spray the ball to all fields, hitting it where its pitched. He will be a mainstay, if not a big star, for years to come. I hope its for the Cards. I imagine Noot flanked by Walker and Burleson for about the next ten years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like Liberatore, McGreevy is too hitable (so far).

Might as well see how he plays in AAA. I envision something like we’ve seen from Liberatore.

My glass half full outlook is that both those guys will be legit rotation contenders next spring. The glass half empty observation is that the 2024 rotation may have a big back end.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think McGreevy’s “too hittable” may be attributed to lesser defense at the lower level. I really like him in the Matt Morris/Michael Wacha/Luke Weaver/Dakota Hudson Cardinal 1st round rotation pitcher mold. He’s a strike thrower as is Graceffo. I think AAA will be telltale for both. Let’s see who they do with the short porches and more experienced AAAA ball players. I see both in the future Cardinals rotation. I see Liberatore getting traded and passed by Hjerpe. Liberatore really needs to sharpen his control to move to the next level. He seemed to hit too much of the heart of the plate with his pitches, and he got pounded because of it. Until that gets fixed, He may be a number 4-5 starter on a below average team at best.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree it will be fun seeing how Mcgreevy and Graceffo both do in AAA. I will point out that they both had the same defense behind them in AA, but some pitchers rely more on it than others, so we will see.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Graceffo, he comes a day earlier than I prefer…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Among the likely starters in Memphis this year, only Graceffo pitched his way out of AA.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My take on the writ up: Basically Hence has the potential to be Carlos Martinez if his control improves.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos Martinez would be a pretty good outcome for Hence, injuries notwithstanding. Carlos was a #1 starter over that 2015-18 stretch before the injuries really hit.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stlcard25, I agree. Can’t wait to see how he does this year. Maybe I can see for myself in Peoria.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lots to dig into here, and it is free for everyone. Enjoy!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On Winn, I like the confidence that the scout showed when he said Edman will be moved to make room for Winn. I totally agree.

Thanks for sharing all the write ups, Brian and Blake!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m pretty sure they used to say he’d get moved for Gorman.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, thank you.

Bling, what the scout said is that Edman was moved for DeJong and he will be again for Winn. Edman was moved in 2022 for several reasons. One was DeJong’s (and Sosa’s) failures. Another major factor was Gorman being called up, though it was Donovan who eventually seized the job. So whoever you are supposedly quoting was more right than wrong.

Edman’s versatility has been a big plus for the team and it will continue to be.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Edman’s versatility has been a big plus for the team and it will continue to be.

If you consider versatility to be our SS through the WS, then I agree with you.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

WS? LOL

14NyquisT
    Participant

Can I quote you on that in Oct. ?

At least you can say “I’ll eat my hat”. I’ll send you some “hat sauce”.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m a bit surprised that Nathaniel Heredia didn’t get more notice on your top 50 as he is listed on the Cardinals site top 30. (Honestly, it is all a crapshoot what these guys will actually do staying healthy or further their tools) Just curious as to why? Was it the initial drug testing? Lack of consistency? He brings the heat and strikes more than a batter an inning.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding MLB Pipeline, I respect their opinion, but it is not even a slight factor in my rankings. Maybe they know something we don’t, but here is how I see Heredia.

In our Top 50, Heredia fell just short and will be covered in my upcoming “Best of the Rest” article. At 22, he has not advanced beyond Peoria and did not show progress during 2022. Way too many walks and they increased as the season went on. (His walk rate in the second half was 7.6 per nine.) Probably why he’s been at Peoria for a year and a half already.

Heredia has just two seasons remaining before minor league free agency. He was already Rule 5 eligible but not surprisingly, he was not selected. As an aside, it is not as if we don’t recognize relievers, as there are 10 of them on the Top 50 ahead of him, which means more guys to try to pass to reach St. Louis. As a lefty, his path might be shorter, but several lefty starter candidates may end up in the pen.

Bottom line: Probably he does not have enough runway to make it, at least here.

P.S. The drug suspension was so long ago, 2018, that it is not a consideration. Though it did put him behind and he hasn’t yet made up the lost time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 201 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.