TCN’s 2023 Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2023 Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The new prospect ranking and articles is great baseball recreation in the dead of winter. One of the fun things is seeing how things turn out. Despite the best efforts of evaluators, you don’t know what will happen until it does.

I happened to pick Donovan for a look back at last year’s article on him. The thing that caught my eye was a nameless scout ‘who has repeatedly seen Donovan in action’ was quoted as saying “(Matt) Carpenter was a better defender”. Ha, a year later and after one season Donovan has more gold gloves in one year than Carp has in 12. Not bad for a 45 Field/ 50 arm guy.

The hitting evaluation was spot on though. The same nameless guy said “He gets deep on pitches and goes to all fields. Donovan might be the best pure hitter in the (Cardinals) system.”

Best pure hitters often end up hitting in the 2 or 3 slots, depending on the power component. And there he is, settling into regular duty in the #2 slot, sporting a .394 OBP and 126 OPS+ in his rookie year. A perfect call by the nameless one and a perfect fit for Donovan and the Cardinals.

I will be scanning this year’s articles to see if someone else is the new best pure hitter in the system.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That’s precisely why I was so astounded to see Donovan placed into the 5 slot for both post-season games. Then, to add more insanity to the inane decision, Pujols trades places with him in the 2 slot. It continues to be difficult to come to terms with that mindless idea and to what I feel may well have contributed to a total inefficiency of the entire order. And that was just one of many bizarre events in those two games.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it was a computer generated lineup TD. Fantasy players probably use a similar algo. I wish all that would go over the side chained to some wonks, but it is what it is. Marmol isn’t going to push back and get himself Shildted.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

“Schildted”…Haha! Yeah, no sane person wants that. Get ready though, tax season’s right around the corner…

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Donovan is not a good fielder. He is passable and versatile. These are good traits, but his gold glove was a farce.
    He is a gritty hitter and takes quality at bats for sure. His glove will reveal its true nature over time I fear.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I am still reeling from a certain catcher left off last year’s list. Worse yet, Brian was vindicated in his omission.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Not that I’m rooting against the author;I simply have unreasonable passion for certain prospects who rake on my winter’s ps4 seasons.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Passion is good, Nigel. It can be a lot more fun than my boring logic!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Glad to see Ynfante make the list! He had a really impressive season. I was amazed at his consistency all year for a kid who is 17. Plus, I love the fact that he has a tall body to grow into.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any preferences about me posting member-only countdown players here? Or should I just put them on the members forum?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any preferences about me posting member-only countdown players here? Or should I just put them on the members forum?

The articles that come with each selection, together with the periodic in-season reshuffle of the rankings and the associated article about risers and fallers, is the best way I have of keeping up with prospects in the system beyond the top handful which get some more or less spotty coverage now and then. Besides the info, it makes for enjoyable baseball related recreation all year for what it would cost me to go to one game.

Regular open forum participants are probably already aware of the resource, but infrequent visitors and lurkers might be less aware of it. So for that reason I think its good to post the selections here.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. I think it’s good to post them here.

Glad to see Ralston make the list. I’ve commented on him before. He’s really one of my favorite well under the radar prospects. I still see he and Granillo at the back end of the Stl bullpen in 2024. That’s assuming Ralston can stay healthy which may be a big if. But I definitely think he deserves to be on the list. That curveball of his is so spectacular.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very interesting info on Ynfante. Nice season for his age. If he continues success, I would think he would be in the states sometime next year.

Ralston has long been one of my favorite prospects. Much like Walsh, I believe he will be an effective major leaguer, if he can stay healthy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I did see Ralston pitch a couple innings a while ago. Peoria I think, a few day apart when we stopped going someplace and again coming back. Both games vs the KCR team. The first time he stunk it up and the second time lights out, struck out the side. I did not notice the curve ball, probably because I was so taken by his smooth as a box of rocks delivery, which was max effort as well. Strangely, it reminded me of Tim Lincecum.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Pinder added about 15 pounds of muscle he’d be physically similar to O’Neill. Some added power would have to come of that and there is no reason to think his K rate would suffer, or his BB rate. That could be interesting, but since it hasn’t happened by now it isn’t likely.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This DelaRosa sounds like another one who could really benefit from the no longer existing short season levels. He’s 19 and will be doing his 3rd year in the system. He did well in the complex league but it sounds like he’s got a lot of rough edges that will make the big jump to full season A level problematic. A swing that looks good on video but the results say a pull heavy swing that tops the ball way too much. His defense and baserunning sound pretty rough as well. He’s 19 so he has time, but he needs a roster slot during that time. He may not handle A ball and plenty of newer guys need the complex league spot. His stature and build seem to limit his ceiling, unless he’s the next Altuve (who spent 2 seasons in short season ball before full season A level).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I considered writing about the Altuve comp, but decided it wasn’t fair – at least yet.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully he can make it fair.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 201 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.