Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated)

Viewing 21 posts - 176 through 196 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Amazing that a player like Seth Elledge, ranked down at #35 by TCN and #28 by MLB, has not only made his big league debut, but he’s being kept literally close by because the major league club plans on using him in more major league games. Before any of this pandemic stuff happened, you would look at a player that far down in the rankings and hope he’ll be good enough to pitch in the major leagues some day, but you don’t know for sure and you don’t expect to know much until he at least moves up in the ranking. Whew! Kind of makes your head spin. What happened to the logical progression of a player? Of course, this wouldn’t be happening unless these players, themselves, were able to rise to the occasion of their being needed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

Of course, this wouldn’t be happening unless these players, themselves, were able to rise to the occasion of their being needed.

The reason this happened (Elledge and others were rushed to MLB) is very simple – a bunch of Cardinals got infected with the virus at the same time and needed to be replaced before they could be cleared to return.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mud, I disagree. If you look at TNC ranking history very few relievers are ranked very high. Even fewer that are below AAA. There is a reason for that. Even when they are fortunate to make the majors (even on a full time basis) there impact is usually limited both from a single year and a career aspect. Elledge may be different. He may not.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

So when Seijas was outrighted he was sent home from Springfield?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not only was the outrighted player sent home, he cannot be re-added to the 60-man pool this season. It is part of the MLB Operations Manual.

As I wrote in an article on the home page yesterday, the Cardinals are considering adding a couple of pitchers to the pool to replace Seijas and Sanchez.

Lane Thomas Returns to Cardinals as Ricardo Sanchez’ Year Ends

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sounds like a non sense rule since other non 40 man roster players can be in the 60 man pool.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, do you think carrying three catchers has run it’s course? We’re carrying two catchers now and Knizner has one AB in the last 13 games.

Participant

The Yadi syndrome. It’s what caused some friction with Mike Matheny.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My point is that I wouldn’t expect a player ranked as far down as Elledge to be able to hold his own at the MLB level. Yet Elledge has done that and his bosses are apparently ready to run him out to the mound some more. I get the point about relievers not getting as much love as starting pitches. You could say the same about DH’s. With the growing importance of bullpens, maybe that should change.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj asked:

BW, do you think carrying three catchers has run it’s course? We’re carrying two catchers now and Knizner has one AB in the last 13 games.

There are two issues here. One is the roster. The other is how playing time is distributed among the catchers. I will take them in order.

I had been saying all along that dropping the third catcher was a likely occurrence when the rosters decreased from 30 to 28.

Currently, Wieters is on the taxi squad as the third catcher, but only for an emergency. When he is activated (likely in Chicago), then Knizner may take his place. Or if they want Knizner to go to Springfield to get some work, they could put Godoy back on the taxi squad instead.

I don’t blame the roster assignments on Molina. It is more an issue of the roster size.

On the playing time, yes, it seems Molina decides when he plays. It has been that way for some time. Yes, it hurts Knizner’s development. No, it is not going to change.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see. So they could do the same with Helsley and Meisinger (as an example), just flip them from taxi to active and vice-a-versa.

I’m glad you can keep track of all these taxi / alternate camps that are new for this season. Thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Will they likely add another pitcher to the 40 man roster to replace Sanchez? If not, it appears Nogowski and Ravelo may be safe from the chopping block for now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like everything, it is a bit more complicated, jj. When players are optioned to the minors (which includes the taxi squad), they cannot return to the active MLB roster for 10 days – unless they replace someone injured or they are used as the 29th man in a doubleheader.

So for the catchers, if Knizner is optioned out when Wieters returns, he is technically assigned to Springfield. But he could still travel with StL on the taxi squad. He could be activated inside of 10 days if Yadi or Wieters was injured.

On the pitchers, yes, the relievers could be optioned out and moved to the taxi squad. One of them could rejoin the active roster for a doubleheader or return to the active StL roster inside of 10 days if they replace someone else going on the IL.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

1) Will they likely add another pitcher to the 40 man roster to replace Sanchez?

2) If not, it appears Nogowski and Ravelo may be safe from the chopping block for now.

1) Probably not. Unless more injuries hit.

2) Assuming all five 40-man drops ahead are pitchers, then yes. If they only cut four pitchers, then my guess would be that a position player (perhaps one of the two you mention) would be the last cut. There is also the Whitley injury situation to watch. If he is not activated, then one fewer cut would be necessary.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley is injured, and may not return?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whitley’s return has been slowed. Information has not been detailed so I do not have specifics. If I remember correctly, he had been sent to Springfield, but returned to StL to have his elbow examined last week. Since there are only 27 calendar days remaining in the season, time is getting short. I will try to remember to ask Shildt for an update.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards could use some quality relief depth that Whitley would provide. Also, what are the statuses of Helsley and CMart return? Would they likely be added before the Cubs series?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I may sound like a broken record, but please read the articles on the home page. This one specifically has updates on all the players you asked about.

Lane Thomas Returns to Cardinals as Ricardo Sanchez’ Year Ends

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry Brian, I don’t always scroll down far enough. Lots of good info there. If Mo was to add 2 more pitchers to the 60 man roster, what about Roberts and Escobar? Escobar may be a long shot, but he is a future late inning guy. He is one of many hurt by no minor league season. I was hoping he would be AA/AAA by now.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A glimpse of Springfield today.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A little like Elledge, Kaminsky has looked good. I think he’s earned a longer look until players get healthy.

Viewing 21 posts - 176 through 196 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years