Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What was his OPS in the major leagues most recently – the level he is at right now?

But really, what does it matter? You’ve pushed this same point all off-season.

Participant

BW – Do you want to use the Lane Thomas 2,027 minor league plate appearances over 6 years, or his 34 major league plate appearances in 2019?

Yes, I’ve made the point all off season that the Cardinals didn’t make a move to strengthen their outfield. They have a badly declining veteran and several untested young players.
    That makes their OF the weakest of all projected contending teams.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Or maybe use Lane’s 2019 major league season and his 2018 and 2019 minor league stats. Players do have the capability to get better.

Participant

CC – The problem is, his AAA stats in 2018 and 2019 weren’t the stats of an outstanding prospect.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now 45 players. Mo told us today that Elehuris Montero has been added.

Participant

Free

bccran, I guess that means we should give up on Dylan Carlson, too.

Participant

This is an option that has been talked about here and may have some merit.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/6/30/21307913/john-nogowski-is-an-intriguing-dh-candidate

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nogowski will need help just to make the 30-man, let alone stay around for 26. The DH role will be used for those ahead of him, such as to get Edman and Miller more regular playing time. There won’t likely be a set DH, or even a dual platoon role. But it is a reminder that Nogowski has continued to do a good job. Like Luke Voit before him, though, his route appears blocked.

Participant

He’s the #1 backup at 1B if Goldy gets injured.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

No, he is not. Ravelo is. Carpenter is. Miller has played first quite a bit. So has Dean. Knizner can play first as well. All five of them are on the 40-man and Nogowski is not. I like Nogowski, but I am being realistic about the current opportunity on the roster.

Participant

The Cards are aware how much the defense of Goldy made the infield so much better last year. Tremendous improvement. If Goldy gets injured, IMHO they are going to want the best defensive player possible over there. That’s Nogowski. I saw him up close and personal in multiple games at Spring Training. He’s solid as a rock at 1st.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is no doubt that Nogowski is a superior defender at first. That isn’t enough to overcome the other obstacles, however.

They really like Miller, who has 75 MLB games at first. They want more at-bats for Edman and moving Carp to first would be so obvious. The defensive upgrade at third would offset some of the loss of Goldy at first. Either of those (and probably other options cited) would happen long before Nogowski would get a chance.

They have many outfield candidates to soak up DH at-bats not even counting Carlson on the horizon.

The biggest problem with the 2020 Cardinals will be scoring runs, same as in 2019 and 2018, for that matter. Remember that this is a team that (pre-Goldy) played Jose Martinez regularly at first because they needed the offense so badly. If Goldy is injured, they aren’t going to replace his bat with Nogowski. It just won’t happen, especially not in a 60-game sprint season.

Participant

In 2018, Nogowski had an OPS of .855 at Springfield. Last season at Memphis, he had an OPS of .899. Hit 15 home rims in 117 games. Over the last 2 seasons he’s been a .300 hitter. You may not be gaining him enough credit offensively.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And you put too much emphasis on minor league stats while ignoring other more important factors in how decisions are really made. If you said this is what you would like to see, your personal preference, vs. what you think the Cardinals would do, there would be no disagreement. But you equate the two when clear logic says otherwise.

He would have to just make the 40-man and 26-man rosters first. Those are huge hurdles in themselves, let alone starting at first base in a 60-game sprint season, when there are so many other more proven options available. I am not saying the odds are zero, but giving it a five percent chance would seem generous.

Participant

Free

Edman should lead the team in at-bats.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As of now, it is believed that Wong will be the leadoff man, so he would be my best guess to lead the team in plate appearances. But with a short season, there could be a lot of shuffling. There is no doubt the addition of the DH helped Edman’s playing time opportunity.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nogowski will get significant AB’s this year. That’s just the way Shildt and the Cardinals operate.

Participant

Nogowski sure got a lot of time at 1B in the shortened Spring Training. They seemed to be giving him a close look. And as always, BW, my statements are personal opinion. Just like any other poster on here. None of us are speaking for the Cardinals.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nogowski in spring training: .200/.333/.200 in 30 plate appearances. He saw a lot of action but was not on his way to making the team in March and I tend to focus on more likely occurrences, but no one knows for sure what is ahead.

Participant

Ravelo baseball cube

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

BW, my statements are personal opinion. Just like any other poster on here. None of us are speaking for the Cardinals.

Ok, but that is not what you wrote. Here it is.

Participant

Okay, perhaps I should rephrase that and say that in my humble opinion, Nogowski is the #1 backup at 1B if Goldy goes down. Should every poster do that then, when they make any sort of statement about a player?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Most people don’t make definitive statements that are not accurate. But if they did and I saw it, I would respond.

For example, it is huge difference between saying “Dylan Carlson is the starter in right field” vs. “Dylan Carlson should be the starter in right field”.

The first is an assertion of fact, which is not correct. The second is that person’s opinion. It seems unnecessary to have to clarify this, but here it is…

Participant

I’ve been on Boards like this for well over 20 years. Never had someone call me out on semantics. Guess there’s always a first. Most Boards are supervised for big things like profanity, name calling, threats, severe confrontations, etc. Here it’s the difference between the words “is” and “should”. Got it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Next time I will ask you if you meant what you wrote or something else. Then we could have clarified sooner that it was your opinion. Being honest, I probably still would have offered my differing perspective, trying to explain how I believe the Cardinals actually see it. Though the discussion was bumpy and we don’t see it the same way, good information was shared about the first base depth chart and Nogowski. That was not wasted.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years