StL 2019 NLDS Game 5 thread: Wed 10/9 at Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLDS Game 5 thread: Wed 10/9 at Braves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Tuesday’s travel day…

4:02 or 7:07 p.m. Jack Flaherty vs. Mike Foltynewicz TBS // KMOX // WIJR // ESPN Radio

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Mistake by the Braves to throw Foltenavich out there in this one. He was lucky last time. He wont be so lucky this time.

Of course, then again, at the first sign of trouble for him Snitzker will yank him.

r/Esteemed Rat

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Also, question……As bad as DeJong has been lately, will he be in the starting lineup on Wednesday night? Assume so but only because of defense.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

He’ll be in there. Shildt already sacrificed defense by putting Fowler in CF and Edman in RF. He’ll likely do that again and won’t risk jamming up the minf D. Even though Fowler is 8 for his last 70. Man Lane Thomas would’ve been nice to have at our disposal. All I’m saying!

A game like this needs someone to break out who’s been slumping. Carpenter and Dejong need to give us some production.

Participant

Free

Man I really want a later start being out here in San Diego but my best pal is a Nats fan from DC and roots for the Cardinals 2nd. So I would not be too hurt. I’ll just sneak out of work. lol

Participant

Paid - Annual

So if Washington forces game 5 we play early?

Participant

Free

We are at 4:02 and the Nats in LA are at 7:37, both on TBS. It would be a shocker to see LA knocked out but I don’t think that is going to happen (but wish it would).

I really can’t understand all the knocks on Tommy Edman by some folks who seem to be praying for his failure. I see posts on his defense (which has been sterling) and how he can’t play RF – but he has proven he can and does. Only thing I have seen him do wrong is drop one foul ball. As for routes to the ball, he seems to snag them so who cares as long as that is the end result. He is a better 3B than Carp; played SS in the minors, played 2B when Kolten was out and I expect he will be named emergency catcher next season (LOL). Edman is here to stay so enjoy his play folks. He was one key who got us to the playoffs.

I have to admit these games are nerve racking but the most shouting at my house has been against the HPUs who seem to be inconsistent – but then they don’t have a little white box to guide them. I am one who favors an electronic strike zone and the earlier the better.

I must say that Ozuna is making a pretty good pitch for resigning. His situation does present a real problem to Mo and the FO. QO or attempt to resign or let him go FA and see what the market brings. Since he dumped Boras, his price may be slightly lower but I would think 4/40 or 3/35 might get him. Otherwise, I would advise him to not let the door hit him on the way out. But Tyler ONeil is not in any form a sub for Ozuna. I expect ONeil to be in a trade package this winter. Hopefully Bader is not with him.

GO CARDS – Take one for Jacko.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

No idea what to expect from this team.

No matter what they do this roster is not a stand pat roster.

Too many low ba/obp players in the line up; too many holes in the bullpen.

I guess outside of the Astros, Dodgers, and Yankees every team has serious flaws?

Molina and Wainwright cannot continue much longer, Miller is old, Fowler, Carpenter, and Bader have been disappointing.

DeJong is a disaster at the plate but you can have a couple of weak bats in the line up, his defense is good and he does have power – really good 7 or 8 hitter but not 5th.

Wong and Edmon are keepers.

I like building a starting rotation around Flaherty, Hudson, and Mikolas.

Does Martinez try to move back into the starting rotation and we look for a new setup / closer tandem?

Hicks may or may not ever be the same.

Carter Le GrandCarter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

I came close to vibrating I was so nervous in the latter innings as I watched my recording after work. It’s getting so grueling for me nowadays. Of course the release after the win is good payoff for the tension.

But can we please have a laffer tomorrow?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, question……As bad as DeJong has been lately, will he be in the starting lineup on Wednesday night? Assume so but only because of defense.

Unfortunately there is 99.9% chance he will still be in the lineup. Shildt isn’t the kind of guy to make such a move this time of year. At least he has moved DeJong down to 8th in the order. I guess we should be thankful for small victories.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No matter what they do this roster is not a stand pat roster.

Actually I think it will be a stand pat roster due to our unfortunate contract situation. People keep saying “just move Carp and Fowler” but that would require eating money and overcoming no trade clauses. Not going to happen. Besides Ozuna and Bader I can’t think of any current position players who won’t be starting next season and the replacements in LF and CF would probably be internal or a cheaper type fill in until Carlson is ready.

There might be one or two acquisitions in the pitching staff. I could see that as more likely than the position player group.

Participant

Free

Man, these 5 p.m. EDT starts (11 p.m. my time) are killing me. What we don’t suffer for our birds, eh?

Participant

Free

Unfortunately? What about defense? So many comments are about replacing any player not hitting, but what about the runs they prevent with superior defense? Wong, Molina, and Fowler are all averaging under 200 in the postseason also, but I only see complaining about DeYoung. It’s a good thing we didn’t replace Ozuna for the postseason when he was in a major slump and isn’t even a great fielder. I would also point out that DeYoung was our only all-star. He could break out of this slump at any time, but if he doesn’t, we still need his defense. He is certainly not the only hitter in the lineup that hasn’t been producing lately. I wish I had kept track of all the defensive plays in the second half of the season and the postseason that may not have been made without DeYoung at short stop, Edman at third, and Bader in center field (the last going back to September). We need to value defense as much as offense.

DaveDave
    Participant

Free

Although I would like to see a laugher in the Cardinals favor, I can see this being a close game. With Flare pitching, any runs we can get him esp early will be big even if it’s runs on outs. Put the ball in play, steal, 1st-3rd, be aggressive on the first pitch. I would like to see this line up tomorrow. I know the phrase over due is over used but I have a gut feeling that one of these players will come up big tomorrow… DeJong , Carp, Fowler.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I came close to vibrating.

🤔 One can only imagine what Carter Le Grand is going to do when we stun Atlanta on Wednesday??

Granted, our boys are offensively challenged on most occasions, but the support that Jack Flaherty has not received is simply ridiculous. What are the odds? The law of averages dictates that one game very soon our Cardinals are going to bust loose in support of this fine young hurler and get him 2……maybe even 3 runs. I’d love to see this happen tomorrow.

Participant

Free

I agree Pugs, Flaherty being our best is frequently up against thier best. Wonder if the managers work this stuff out ahead of time? So its got to be one of two ways… Their pitcher is very good too and we don’t get many hits or…our batters are too comforted and complacent that we will need only one run to win the game. A working day off?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The headlines read Molina! Molina! and Yadi did what we needed him to do. But Ozuna was the real hero yesterday. Two homers and remember he beat out the possible DP relay. If he was out at first…. no sac fly would have won it.

He and Goldschmidt are carrying this team right now… just like we needed them to do all season.

Flaherty will be better tomorrow. He hasn’t pitched back to back sub-60 Game Scores since the first week of July and has a history of pitching great games after a sub-60 outing (56 last Friday). A 56 GS usually gives your team a good chance to win. When get get GSs in the 70s and 80s its usually a win for anyone not named Flaherty.

DaveDave
    Participant

Free

I am going to assume that tomorrow’s game will be like many of Flaherty’s past starts with little offense on both sides so therefore and I mentioned this in post yesterday I think the more quick outs Flare can get without use of the strike out to keep his pitch count low increases the chance of Flare going deeper and getting a CG. If we have a slim lead and Flaherty is getting outs and his pitch count is under 100 entering the B9th, I can’t imagine that Shildt would not allow him to go back out there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would also point out that DeYoung was our only all-star.

That says more about the rest of our team and the all star selection process than it does anything else. If each team didn’t have to be represented we would have been shut out.

DeJong is a fine defender and I appreciate that but his offense has been bleak most of the year. People fall in love with his 30HR but most of his offensive metrics are subpar, which is why he has been moved to 8th in the lineup. He does just enough in non-clutch situations to justify keeping him in the lineup.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

There will be a lot of runs scored in this game tomorrow. Just wait and see.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m plunking down a fistful of coin on the over for tomorrow’s game. When Rat pounces out of the box with a firm statement such as the above, he’s seldom wrong. Want that new car you’ve been eyeing, but maybe the price tag has you not quite willing to pull the trigger? Has the wifey been pestering you for a new mink coat? If you listen to and believe in the Esteemed Rat, all of your wildest dreams can come to fruition tomorrow…..I believe!

Participant

Free

Minuteman3

I really can’t understand all the knocks on Tommy Edman by some folks who seem to be praying for his failure. I see posts on his defense (which has been sterling) and how he can’t play RF – but he has proven he can and does. Only thing I have seen him do wrong is drop one foul ball. As for routes to the ball, he seems to snag them so who cares as long as that is the end result. He is a better 3B than Carp; played SS in the minors, played 2B when Kolten was out

Maybe I missed the Edman dismissals, but I think the guy is a star. I would greatly prefer trading DeJong while he still has value to get a good pitcher of the Aaron Nola class.

Participant

Free

I’m really aggravated about the game time. I have a softball playoff double-header today that will bleed right into the 6th-9th innings (730 & 830 ET). May have my phone posted up in the dugout.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by AvatarPadsFS.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, I’ll be in the woods still for this one. It’s doubtful that I’ll have cell service but never know. I’ll be depending on you guys to carry this one through to a win!

DaveDave
    Participant

Free

Today is a day of optimism. Today I am only a fan and not a critic. I will not critique Shildts moves whether I disagree or not but trust in him that his moves will be the ones to lead us to victory and our players will make the play when it matters most. Call it a hunch, a feeling or just being an optimistic fan, but I am expecting good things from DeJong today. He will do something big in a positive way that impacts the game. I don’t mean he’ll go 4/4 with 2 homers and 5 RBI’s , but that would be nice, but something like a big hit or even a defensive play late in the game that will help lead our team to victory.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 202 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years