StL 2019 NLDS Game 5 thread: Wed 10/9 at Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLDS Game 5 thread: Wed 10/9 at Braves

This topic contains 201 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Way to bring it home guys, all three grandkids came over so, put this down and played with them while I watched.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

May I suggest you remove your bullet riddled Ronald Acuna Jr. poster at your Gun Club tomorrow and replace it with a fresh caricature of Cody Bellinger, Rat? It’s going to be Cards-Dodgers…..and it’s going to be a dogfight.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Kershaw just gave up back to back homers in the 8th to Rendon and Soto and the Nationals have tied the Doyers 3-3 in the 8th.

Its a tossup from here folks.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Joe Martinez, I mean, Joe Kelly, just put the Nationals into the NLCS. He gives up a walk, double, intentional walk, and then a grand slam to Howie Kendrick.

7-3 Nationals in the top of the 10th.

r/Esteemed Rat

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unbelievable comeback by the Nats!

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I loved the 2:00 AM (CDT) report on UVerse 634 (FOX or ESPN?). They loved the Card start. So did I.

Leadoff hitter walked. Get him to second.
    Sacrifice by Wong. The worst that is likely to happen is that Wong bunts it in the air. He’s a better bunter than that has bunted before. You get a runner to second, might luck out and Wong gets on too.

That frees up Goldy to be able to swing away, no DP possibilities likely. He pulls it to the SS who makes a diving stop, but has trouble getting it out of his glove (had the same problem on the DP attempt that the second baseman dropped.

First and third, Ozuna does exactly what I have been wanting people to do. Don’t try to pull that outside low pitch. Drive it to right. We get the lead because he is smart enough to listen to whoever told people how to approach this pitcher this time (after he ate us alive when we tried to kill it).

Molina hits a DP ball that Ozuna jumps over, distracting Freeman. who gets an error. Never saw it.

Carp walks. Yes. Force this guy to come to you. 2-0

Edman pulls it down the line for a double. As he should, pull it to right. He runs well enough that it will score a run, probably no DP.

Walk DeJong. But, they also walk Flaherty, 5-0, and he hasn’t pitched yet.

Double down the line by Fowler.

Double to left by Wong, 9-0. Wong’s sacrifice is the only out, and it began this entire debacle.

Wong scores when Ozuna hustles to first. Wong scored the winning run in game four because Ozuna hustled to first to beat out a DP. Baserunning is important.

We played smart. We played small ball.

As the announcers made the point that the Braves had tried to do that earlier, and they couldn’t get a bunt down. Learn to advance runners. Resulted in a popup after a leadoff double. Runner didn’t score because they couldn’t get him over.

Baseball is still about who plays smart ball.

Now that you have a ten-run lead, you can swing away.

skippy mckill
    skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

Good job Shildt on replacing MCarp in the first inning.
    Bad job Shildt on batting Flaherty and making him pitch in the 6th.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

PadsFS

I’m really aggravated about the game time. I have a softball playoff double-header today that will bleed right into the 6th-9th innings (730 & 830 ET). May have my phone posted up in the dugout.

————————-

The baseball Gods allowed me to watch the best part of the whole season! What a win!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Mo on this one.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This Cards team kind of reminds me of 2006. A rather average team through the season, clinches the division on the very last day, then gets hot and wins the whole thing. I could go for a 12th ring.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like this.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jack basically tells Acuna he can go blank himself.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Some in the #STLCards front office contemplated the idea of pulling Jack Flaherty early to use him in Game 1 of the NLCS. “I quickly put that to bed saying, ‘Win the game,’ John Mozeliak said.”I think when you start getting cute and trying to manipulate things, it gets dangerous.

I hope the front office is letting the guy they hired to do a job do it and not meddle.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

gscottar

I like this.

Matt Carpenter made the call to be removed after T1. He told me he went to Shildt and said “It’s 10-0. We have one of the best outfielders in the game on our bench. We need to prevent runs”#STLCards

— Joe Roderick (@JoeRoderick)

I would’ve let Carpenter hit in the second at least.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was very happy to see Flaherty on the mound in the sixth after that Acuna incident in the fifth. Sure Shildt could have replaced him after the fifth but that would have seemed whimpy to me. He showed the baseball world that we didn’t back down because of Acuna’s actions. And another egg went up on the Braves line.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Re: Joe Roderick tweet. Thanks for posting that. I don’t tweet but when I saw Carp talking to Shildt I kind of figured it was something like that. The guy was not on my Christmas card list but I must admit he erased a lot of dislike with that action. He is a team player as opposed to Tommy Pham who was a Team Tommy player.

I have always been a Houston fan but I kind of hope they get knocked off too because that would take out the two favorites from the playoffs. I was really happy to see LA go down the drains and it was a combination of Kershaw doing his thing and Joe Kelly doing his thing to help the Cards. Thanks K&K.

I read somewhere that Flaherty said he was fine to stay in the game even after 93 pitches. I agree with that because he is a creature of habit and pulling him early might upset things. I am hoping to Mikolas to start Game 1 as visions of Waino vs Washington in 2012 give me nightmares. But Waino is a different pitcher now so maybe, just maybe he can do a number on them.

The Cards have beat both the Nats aces this season so that is one good point. Did Matt Adams not make the NLDS team? I know Luke Voit did not make the Yanks team because of poor performance after he came back from the sports hernia injury. The Yanks said they have 4 first baseman and he didn’t make the cut for at least that series because they had Encarcion back along with LeMahieu and Ford. Don’t know who the 4th guy is unless they were referring to Voit.

But that victory last night will stick in my mind a long time and it appears that the Braves cut off their own heads with their tomahawks…again.

Gotta go find the NLCS thread to see what the TCN chefs are eating this series. Hopefully it is not crow.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Acuna should instruct Tommy Pham how to act like a real idiot.

Yep, that same Tommy who said when asked who he had to thank, that while he had some people he could thank he would just thank himself because it was him to threw balls off the wall and caught them. Birds of a feather for sure.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I don’t believe for one second that the Ocuna pitch was anything less than Jack’s attempt to not get slapped by Bob Gibson the next time they get together. That was for Gibby not Ozuna.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Any thoughts on Shildt’s profanity laced rant after the game? Obviously it should have stayed in the locker room and was not intended for public consumption.

Does anyone feel different about Shildt after that? Is the use of language here any more justifiable than Tommy Pham’s rant of a year or so ago?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Of course it is different.
    Pham’s problem wasn’t the language. It was the criticism. Secondly, Shildt’s comments were made in private and published. Pham knew his would be published.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

The problem with Pham is common in sports: too much ego, too little I.Q.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hows come you guys get to make your comments about Pham and nothing happens???

I make what was a “JOKE” about Pham and a Mod tells me to knock it off. My comment might have been in bad taste but it was a JOKE!

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who is feeling picked on..:)

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That’s a good distinction CC.

People can certainly have their opinions about Shildt’s use of language, bad or indifferent, and that should be respected. But to be shocked that Shildt was holding some kind of vile assembly that rarely occurs is probably only felt by people who haven’t heard many coaches speak in private since their little league days.

Also, Aroz exhibited very poor judgement, but glad Shildt doesn’t hold an apparent grudge against him. Give him a stern verbal reprimand and move forward.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

WTG Miles!

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 202 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years