StL 2019 NLCS Game 4 thread: Tue 10/14 at Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLCS Game 4 thread: Tue 10/14 at Nats

Viewing 16 posts - 101 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nats are on a roll. They have a shot at winning it all if they can continue to pitch the way they have been.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Put a qualifying offer on Ozuna, and open up outfield competition to everyone. Fowler could, or should be benched. Trade Martinez and keep Ravelo in his role. Jut for starters.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am rooting for Scherzer. He seemed very happy in the moment.

Participant

Free

I have a feeling Martinez is plan B for in case no Ozuna or a sort of place holder for LF until Thomas or Carlson is ready.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Well, that didn’t go well.

1/2 the roster needs to turnover.

Molina and Wainwright are simply too old.

Fowler, Carpenter, Bader can’t hit.

DeJong can’t hit or get on base but does have some power. You can have one or two like this in the line up but not 5-6

Wong and Edman are keepers

Goldschmidt is turning 33 and was a win now acquisition. Needs to hit for a better average and have a better OBP

Ozuna – see Goldschmidt

I like a starting rotation built around Flaherty, Hudson, and Mikolas (I guess?)

This team is not really built for the future. Lot of work to do on this roster to even think about the playoffs next season…..

Participant

Free

We got Brett Cecil coming back guys!!!!

So many crap contracts on this team. How they made the postseason seems more than a miracle now than it ever did with all the under performing dead weight.

Participant

I see little or no action this winter.

The infield is set with Carpenter, DeJong, Wong, Goildschmidt and Molina

That leaves the outfield…with Ozuna gone we have O’neil, Bader, Fowler, Arozorena and Martinez. I suppose Edman will be in the outfield, which leaves two guys out of that bag of crap will be starting on opening day. If Fowler is in the opening day lineup then I give up.

Participant

Free

Sad part is besides Ozuna leaving this garbage offense will most likely be the same as we get to see next year

Participant

Free

Interesting thought: If the World Series winds up with Nationals vs Houston, it may be the first time that two teams sharing the same training facility appear in the World Series as opponents. They both train at the new West Palm Beach facility just spitting distance from the Cardinals/Marlins facility at Jupiter.

The Nats kind of remind me of the Cards of 2011. Could they be?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Participant

Free

As I said before, the Cards OVER ACHIEVED this season. Now I see the same tired posts about Mo going dumpster diving, etc, etc, etc. If that is all the noise hear this winter it may be time to go on an extended walkabout.

As usual, lots of noise about trading JMart. Folks JMart is one of the only players who lived up to his billing in this series. Even his drop was the result of two players shouting at the same time and, my favorite guy, Wong lead JMart to believe he had it but both demurred at the same time. Still, JMart can hit and offense is what we need. Reports of his poor defense are vastly overrated. He, in my view, is head and shoulders better than Ozuna who, when he made his first slide all season, managed to drop the ball out of his glove.

I am looking forward to Spring Training again. I like Houston in the series but may have to pull for the Nats because of their first appearance in since 1933. OR maybe this is a series I can watch for enjoyment instead of having to pull for one or the other teams. Same thought would apply if the Yanks make it instead of Houston.

Somebody said Carp will be at 3B next season. I doubt it. He proved nothing this season except that he could draw a big paycheck. I am also not a big supporter of ONeil or CMart. They could both be traded and I would shed no tears. I like Edman, Helsley, Cabrera, Thomas and the jury is out on Arozarena who appears to be overcharged this series. Ravelo may have been a better bat but he would have been strictly a pinch hitter as opposed to a milkman like Carp who always appeared to be milking for a walk.

GO CARDS 2020

Participant

Free

The Cardinals made the playoffs, which I was happy to see,
    To characterize the season in just two words, Strike Three!

CiF
    The Poet

Participant

Paid - Annual

As usual, lots of noise about trading JMart. Folks JMart is one of the only players who lived up to his billing in this series.

I wouldn’t make 2020 decisions based on one series. JMart actually had a down year for him offensively. If he can’t hit well then he has very little value to this team unless you consider being head cheerleader valuable.

Somebody said Carp will be at 3B next season. I doubt it.

I would be very surprised if he is not starting next year, whether it is 3B or LF. The Cardinals don’t have a habit of investing big money in players then not using them.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

JMart hits better (and more often) when he plays and for those of you who scream he is a defensive liability I have to disagree that he is any more of a liability than Ozuna or Matt Holliday. The dropped ball last night was not an inability to catch it but an inability to communicate effectively. Kolten thought he was covering for Jose and Jose pulled off at the same time Kolten did.

His defense is just average but I have seen him make some nice plays this season and he has a darn good arm. Somebody said he was only good in this series but that person has a short memory if he can’t recall the doubles and triples in the Cubs games as well as some nice hits as a pinch hitter during the season. Yes, he had a down period but some of these guys had a down SEASON. Bulky ONeil can strut around and run fast but he can nab a fastball often enough.

Oh well, season is over and now we get to hear all the off season complaints and the absolute rants about why we did not get certain players. We didn’t get Stanton (18 games all season) or Machado (no help to losing team) or Harper (team not in playoffs) or any of the other ‘sure things’ that folks spent hours begging for.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JMart hits better (and more often) when he plays and for those of you who scream he is a defensive liability I have to disagree that he is any more of a liability than Ozuna or Matt Holliday.

You can disagree, but you’d be wrong. The only, and I mean only reason that he looks on par with Holliday or Ozuna is that both those guys are/were faster than him. Jmart is slow, takes bad routes and isn’t very good with the glove. He’s a fine pinch hitter and that’s it. Literally every stat you can find shows that he’s a horrendous fielder.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Minuteman, from June 16 to August 6, JMart started 36 of the 43 Cardinals games. During that span, he batted .246/.320/.410/.730. That was almost 1/2 of the games he started for the year but it was only about 1/4 of the Cardinals games. For the season, he batted .278/.346/.420/.766 in games that he started. He also had a 21% K rate in games he started.

While he is not the greatest of our problems, I don’t think he is a solution or a keeper. I would like to see him traded but I also won’t be upset if he is still on the team next year.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“The infield is set with Carpenter, DeJong, Wong, Goildschmidt and Molina”

I do not think Carpenter is a guarantee at all to be next year’s third baseman. Shildt showed this year that even if a vet was not playing up to par, and someone else might be better he would displace the veteran. By the end of the year, Edman was the top man on the third base depth chart.

Now Carpenter could bounce back next year. If he would go back to the way he hit earlier in his career, where he hit a lot of balls in the gaps rather than pull everything, he could be good again.

Viewing 16 posts - 101 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years