StL 2019 Game 4 thread: Sun. 3/31 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 4 thread: Sun. 3/31 at Brewers

Viewing 14 posts - 101 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not defending Ozuna’s throwing, but people seem to be forgetting that he led the team with 88 RBI last season and hit 23 homers while swinging one-handed.

P.S. Last year, through four games, Ozuna was batting just .222. I don’t recall how much discussion there was then, though. The team was 2-2. Might be interesting to check the 2018 Game 4 thread.

Participant

Free

It’s early! All is well. lol

The bullpen was my main concern going in along with the some of the free swinging. Lack of someone with closing experience was a worry. It’s why Kimbrel was a natural fit. Hell I’d taken Norris back as some insurance. I don’t feel Hicks can be consistent enough to miss bats even if his stuff is ho hum. Reyes has pitched in the pen but no closer. Miller looks a bit out of sorts.

The starters 1-3 can be solid. I’d worry about the back end a bit but going longer in games is critical if you’re going to go a man short especially with 1 lefty.

I think the offense can be solid but streaky. I feel this team or a couple players need to be less grip and rip and more about getting on base but we are what we are as constructed.

Shildt IMO was too rushed of a choice. We could’ve waited until after the season to extend him another season with an option or looked elsewhere. I’m not saying he can’t be good but the September they had along with the sputtering spring and into a 1-3 start where a couple of decisions he made have been already scrutinized can’t be ignored. Like I’ve been saying IMO this team’s lack of any other key additional moves gives them a very short leash. The schedule could be troublesome early on. I got some bad vibes and I’ve had them since mid March.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

What the heck happened. I went out to do a bit of yard work and we were up 4-1.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

What the heck happened.

7th and 9th inning breakdowns. In the 7th, Miller almost got Braun on a 3rd strike looking, which would’ve been the 3rd out with no runs scoring. Then Braun gets a hit to make it 4-2. Next, Shaw hits a pop up that should’ve been the final out, but Carp and Ozuna pull a Laurel & Hardy and the ball lands safely in shallow LF allowing another run to score. In the 9th, Hicks showed again we’re hurting if he’s the closer as he can’t get anybody out before the Brewers score two more to win. Hicks inning went downhill from the start by being wild in the zone. He threw a fat one on an 0-2 pitch to Gamel that got the inning going for them. Cain and Yelich finished it off, Yelich on a 2-0 meatball. Ozuna retrieved Yelich’s hit after Bader deflected it….with a feeble one-hopper to the relay man. This was not the stuff of MLB-level defense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Even though I abhor physical labor, I wish I had been with you, Colhusker. The ending to this one royally sucked.

Geesh Euro…..I do believe you have a photogenic memory!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25: what part of “today” did you not comprehend? Even still, I don’t agree with your counterpoints.

I understood the point about “today,” but you clearly made a more broad statement that “many would predict they would lose a number of games this year.” That’s what I was discussing, and it’s fine that you don’t agree. I’m sure the team will lose many games for many reasons this year.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Might be interesting to check the 2018 Game 4 thread.

Some topics of conversation:

Gyorko’s weight loss
    Jmart in the field
    Mikolas gives up too many homers

Interestingly, that game was in Milwaukee as well.

2018 Reg Seas Game #4 – at Brewers – Mon 4/2

Participant

Free

switch bullpens and the Cardinals might have swept the 4 game series.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Geesh Euro…..I do believe you have a photogenic memory!

Ha, it’s hard to “un-remember” this stinger. I’m sure the guys will do better than I. Actually, I’ll be go to go by first pitch next game.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I understood the point about “today,” but you clearly made a more broad statement

It’s all good. I’m sure there”ll be things we can agree on in a redbird victory soon.

Participant

Yelich may whack 60 this year…..and he easily could have been ours instead of Marcell

I want to slap myself for saying this after just tough games in a tough ballpark,

BUT

let’s face it we have possibly the worst outfield in baseball. WHY… because after we were told that Stanton didn’t want to play in STL, the FO panicked and went for Ozuna. He and Fowler went off in the off-season to reclaim their prior talents. Mozeliak went in person to check on these guys that he placed all his faith in. He reported back that they were making progress toward their goals.

Well, on this date it looks like he hoaxed us and agai. He covered up for the players he is paying a lot of money for.

AND

it seems like Ozuna doesn’t want to play here either. His buddy in right field is looking like he is off to repeating his ’18 season. And he insists that Fowler (.100BA and .100 slugging) has to play. Add to that all the pitchers that he went after that have fizzled badly and the one’s that aren’t even playing now.

I’ve been highly critical of the FO for the last three seasons and it appears that ’19 isn’t going to be all that different than the prior three. Why is that?? Now add to that the criticism of their choice of manager has already begun.

Time after time, I see one poster here attempting to make repetitive excuses for how management has little or no responsibility for three years of no October games. Difficult to swallow.

On the quote above… the bottom line is that Milwaukee’s GM got Yelich and we got someone else with an injured arm that our FO knew about. The Brewers waited and Mozeliak didn’t. The Brewers won the ’18 NLC division and we were third. The Brewers look pretty good right now and they are the team we need to beat out. How can us Card fans be optimistic?

Sure, things start going our way and we can win the division, because after all this is baseball and its a long season, but staying on this course doesn’t appear to be the way to do it. Something needs to be changed. I recommend that it should be the FO. I apologize if this seems premature.

Participant

It is premature but I agree on two points that may be the real deal. Fowler looks lost and unhappy. Ozuna needs to step up soon especially defensively. The pitching is way too early to tell. The offense is too early also but they need to make more contact this all or nothing approach does not bode well long term.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I see no reason to rehash the Yelich-Ozuna trades. I think we all have an understanding of what happened. The bottom line of why we lost yesterday is because our bullpen imploded. The big three of Reyes, Miller, and Hicks didn’t get the job done.

Participant

Free

I also think Ozuna could vastly improve his defense if he ran just a little bit harder in the direction of fly balls hit to his neighborhood. Or does he have a problem with his legs as well as his shoulder, which I was led to believe was cured?

Viewing 14 posts - 101 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years