StL 2019 Game 4 thread: Sun. 3/31 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 4 thread: Sun. 3/31 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well that sucked

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mike Shildt is already managing like Matheny. Complete stupidity to keep pitching to Yellich.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep, multiple puzzling moves by the skipper.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

His management of the pen this series…well in a word….sucked.

Participant

Free

Yellich spread his damage out across 4 games. Goldy piled up most of his stats in 1 game.

Participant

Maybe they should reconsider ever pitching to Yelich

Participant

Paid - Annual

yea that was nbot good. I didn’t like them taking reyes out. I didn’t feel miller was as great a pick up as a lot did and that’s working out unfortunately the way I thought it might. it may change but right now I trust any of the other guys over him. the one thing about hicks is that im not sure hes one of those guys who can pitch over two innings. some guys lose that fire when they go sit down. also our offense seems way too dependent on homeruns. too much inconsistentcy.

Participant

Free

The Cardinals struck out 15 times (!!!) today. They struck out 11 times yesterday. In four games they have managed to strike out almost 50 times.

Participant

Free

Why is it they got Yellich in the Florida fire sale and we got leadfoot Ozuna?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The story repeated by Derrick Goold is that when the Cards inquired, they were told that Yelich was not available. Only after they traded Ozuna did the Marlins offer Yelich in trade.

Participant

Free

I wish I could say that makes me feel better. He sure has ruined my weekend (not to mention a nice outing by Wacha).

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So far Miller looks like a slightly improved version of Cecil. I thought he was dominant once? I am going to start calling him Cecil Miller.

And again, something I have mentioned before, the walks by Reyes bite us in the a$$.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t get a chance to see this one, but in the end I’m glad I didn’t. The bullpen strikes again. Yuck.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This team lost today the way many would predict they will lose a number of games this year, based on the current roster:

– lack of reliable pen/closer
    – inconsistent, streaky offense
    – defense, with 3B being a legitimate concern
    – lack of left handedness

Hope these things evolve favorably as the season progresses.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Then our brass needs to do a better job on inquiring. It was common knowledge that the Marlins were engaged in a full fledged fire sale. So when the Cardinals were initially told that Yelich wasn’t available, they should have pressed. But who knows, maybe the Cards actually wanted Marcell more than Yelich in the first place? If so, it was a terrible decision. These things are very easy to judge AFTER the fact, but I would like to think our team would have coveted a Yelich much more than a Marcell…..even after the fine 2017 season that Marcell posted. Knowing who to take in these situations is what these guys are paid the big bucks to do.

Participant

To add insult to injury at least for today Alacantara was great for the Marlins today. 8 innings no runs 4 hits no walks 6 ks 92 pitches

Participant

Free

team is striking out an alarming rate so far this year….just ugly series all around…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team lost today the way many would predict they will lose a number of games this year, based on the current roster:

– lack of reliable pen/closer
    – inconsistent, streaky offense
    – defense, with 3B being a legitimate concern
    – lack of left handedness

Hope these things evolve favorably as the season progresses.

The pen was fine the first three games.

The offense was sufficient in the first three games.

The team has one error, so it can hardly be said that the defense is bad.

I guess the dearth of lefties is a fair point??

That being said, the clear root cause of the poor start and what will probably hold the team back is exactly what I predicted… mediocre starting pitching. You just won’t win many series when your SP have an ERA pushing 6 (heavily weighted by Wacha, the only one who didn’t pitch terribly). This team snatched at least two defeats from the jaws of victory.

Participant

Free

Ozuna’s D was bad all 4 games, bad jumps just ugly for him

Participant

Free

Yeah calling errors the metric for defense is similar to calling average the metric for hitting. The missed routine fly with the shift on is on both ozuna and Carpenter and doesn’t go as an error. When it went 4-3 there you just had a bad feeling

Hopefully this isn’t the theme of the season but themes in the series seemed quite reminiscent of the last three years

Participant

Free

My son was over for my birthday and when he saw Ozuna’s throw on Yellich’s ball he said,”why is he even on the team?” I explained the details but for me when I saw the throw all I could do was laugh uncontrollably. I’m old and in my youth we would have said he throws like a girl. He’s hurt and he’s doing the best he can but it is bad. He could cost us many games before the season is over and will. What do you do? Bench him for O’Neill? That will never happen. Unless he goes on the DL for sixty days he will be playing left field and unleashing those comical throws all year. No error was charged but he should not be playing in left field or anywhere until he is healthy and he is clearly not healthy. The Cardinals have some things to talk about but the Fowler and Ozuna deals have put them in a bind and there is no easy way out short of eating about 64 million dollars. I hope things get better…soon. Maybe they’ll sweep the Pirates and come home and contiue on a long winning streak. Hope springs eternal for me because I am nervous about the 25 man roster.

Participant

Free

The story repeated by Derrick Goold is that when the Cards inquired, they were told that Yelich was not available. Only after they traded Ozuna did the Marlins offer Yelich in trade.

So the Cardinals trade for a guy they know has a damaged shoulder/arm. Yup…seems about right.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s look at the bright side…… JMart actually caught every ball hit his way today and made no mental miscues defensively. He didn’t hit didily-squat, but we all know he’s a hitter. Maybe he can blossom into a mediocre defender.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

stlcard25: what part of “today” did you not comprehend? Even still, I don’t agree with your counterpoints.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years