2018 Reg Seas Game #4 – at Brewers – Mon 4/2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #4 – at Brewers – Mon 4/2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RHP Miles Mikolas (NR in 2017) vs. RHP Zach Davies (13-8, 3.98 in 2017), 1:10 p.m., FS Midwest/KMOX.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On a good note, wont have to worry about a weather report for this one.

On a bad note, I am having a root canal at 11:00 tomorrow in Bloomington at the Endodontist. If I survive I hope to be back home for the 1st pitch. But I bet that Endodontist wont let me smoke a cigar tomorrow during the game, you wait and see. Guess I’ll have to make me some ice cream in my new soft serve machine when I get home.

r/Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I’m having a rough work week and have to go in on my day off. So I don’t think I’ll catch this one. Maybe the replay If I’m lucky or maybe in the bar at work and can sneak in an inning. Will be watching Tuesday for sure. I’ve seen more Padre baseball this season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Brew Crew are coming off an opening series sweep. Here is St. Louis’ lineup. Really interesting to me that it is the same lineup that started against the lefty Matz in NY on Sunday. Guess he is going with the lineup that scored five. Key difference from Games 1 and 2 is Gyorko over Wong.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Mets announcers yesterday were all over the Cards lack of baseball fundamental play, saying that George Kissell would be “turning over in his grave watching this team”. -Keith Hernandez. Ron Darling was also all over Jose Martinez for his not knowing the basics of playing 1st base. In a sense he is right… Martinez had a horrible series defensively. Butwe need that bat in the lineup. Oquendo has to work overtime with JM.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cross your fingers for Mikolas.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

I wasnt able to get an up close look at gyroko in nyc as i was in the 3rd deck for games : / but watching him yesterday it looked like he has dropped a few lbs or at least gotten in better shape in the offseason..not sure if he has mentioned that or its been noted anywhere

hoping martinez can keep this up against righties….

14NyquisT
    Participant

There’s a lot of Yankee fans grumbling in NYC about their opener being snowed out. New Yorkers are just plan worn out with the continuous snowfalls. The snow is heavy and just plain annoying. I have 6″ here and still snowing. Grrrrr. I think that too many guys put their snow shovels away prematurely. Speaking of which, I need to go out and clean where the plow finally came through.

ps. Milwaukee is at 33 degrees now but should warm up to 37 by game time. Overcast.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

what fundamentals were the Cardinals failing at? Jose isnt a very good defender anywhere…but outside of him making some dumb mistakes who messed anything up?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gyorko said he stopped eating bread and lost 20 pounds or more. He had a rough spring, but about the same as his prior two years.

It is beating a dead horse, but MLB scheduling could have avoided the cold weather cities with smarter planning.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is an interesting lineup against a RH pitcher. I don’t mind JMart playing everyday because we need his bat but I don’t like the idea of Wong sitting more than he has to. He kind of has a fragile psyche and Matheny doesn’t need to bench him for no good reason. He needs to be our everyday 2B, especially against righties.

BTW, I admire Jedd’s new eating habits. I am trying to go low carb myself. It isn’t easy but I’m sticking with it.

NJ315
    Participant

Sick of the snow here in NJ also. Let’s build on yesterday’s win and go that Brewers! My concern now is Wong. His swing looks off.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

New to the board here. I have viewed on and off for years, but never posted. Since MLB shut down the team boards, where I had been, I have decided to stat talking some baseball here.

Gyorko looks in much better shape.

I really thought today they might go with the better defense today with Mikolas on the mound, and not see Martinez in the line-up. But the way he’s hitting its hard to remove him. As for Martinez defense at 1B. I think he makes Matt Adams look like he knew what he was doing, and I coundn’t stand to watch Adams waller around in the dirt over there.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

they were saying on the broadcast that he had his bat on his shoulder in ST but he is back to having the bat lower now in the regular season which seemed rather quick so early in the season to make a change like that (even if it is the way he did it last year)

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Wong should be starting today over Gyorko. Matheny’s looking at career numbers vs Davies it appears.

Important that Mikolas limits the damage in the early innings. I really hope if he’s in some trouble early and we’re within striking distance they pull the plug and make it a bullpen game.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hey 667…. Welcome aboard and glad you got your feet wet. This is a good place to comment. MLB is a mess, there are some knowledgeable folks here that will chime in to reply to your postings. So talk it up, the more the merrier.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, 667!

Having watched the team before the games in NY, I can assure you that Oquendo is working directly with Martinez at 1B. Whether he can get that plane to fly smoothly is another question.

Here’s Oquendo, after fielding a grounder at 1B, showing Martinez how to make the throw to get the lead runner at 2B. (part of my members article from Sunday)

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cardinals and Brewers both go in order in the 1st. Where is Pugsley???

I survived the root canal and Endodontist in Bloomington today. Made it home in time for the first pitch. There were some pretty hot gals working at the endodontist office too!

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Solo HR to dead center by Manny Pina, but Cards came back for two. Mikolas couldn’t hold the lead as Lorenzo Cain crushed an upper deck shot in left-center on a breaking pitch that broke over the center of the dish. It re-tied the score at 2-2, B3rd.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Mikolas remind anybody else of Ryan Dempster a little?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think Mikilos is always going to be at risk to give up a lot of homers given his tendency to always be around the plate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wow. 2-run HR by Mikolas gives him the lead back. 4-2 T5th.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

So Mo actually did sign a second middle order bat for this year? Good to know Mikolas can give as well as take.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

When your pitcher hits a home run you just have to win the game right…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Three run shot by DeJong against reliever Brandon Woodruff breaks the game open. 8-2 B6th.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.