StL 2019 Game 162 thread: Sun 9/29 vs. Cubs: NLC Champs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 162 thread: Sun 9/29 vs. Cubs: NLC Champs

This topic contains 173 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Avatar BrockLou 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Now now BicycleMike,
    Everybody knows batting averages don’t mean anything anymore. That’s 1960s thinking. Its all the BPIBP and the WIR and the fRZU and the GRTTL numbers that count. Batting averages don’t mean anything.

Sorry, and I agree BM – batting average is the #1 thing I still look at. And when I look at the Cardinals I see the following:

Fowler – .240s
    Carpenter – .220s
    Goldsh~t – .250s
    Ozuna – .240s
    DeJong – .230s
    Bader – .200s

HOW ON EARTH DOES THIS TEAM HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN THE NL CENTRAL WITH SUCH POOR AVERAGES?????

r/Esteemed Rat

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Thank God for Tommy Edman…we would not be in the Play-offs without him.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Note to Remember Diz:

In 1964 the Phils had a 6.5 game lead on us with 12 remaining. They lost 10 straight while we won 8 straight. So we caught and passed them by a game but Cincy was tied with us on the last day of the season. It’s forgotten that the Reds had a damn good September too

Last 3 days of the season: Phils/Cincy and Mets/Cards. The horrid team beat us Friday and Saturday. If memory serves little Al Jackson shut us out in one game.

There was a good possibility of a 3-way tie for the pennant, but The Phils finally beat them on Sunday as we salvaged the last game with Gibson, who lost on Friday taking over mid-game, with Bill White and Curt Flood going deep.
    Reds/Phils tied for 2nd, one game back

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Cardinals need to win today. A whole lot better to win the Division rather than what will follow. I like a day game, Flaherty, a great bull pen and enough runs ti win. If we get that we’ll be in the catbird seat. As anybody who hunts knows: A bird in the pocket is better than 2 in the bushes. Congratulations to the Rockies last night! Lets win this one. Go Cardinals!
    Don’t know about din-din today Pugs, either Brisket and potatoes or pizza. Probably pizza as I’ll be watching the game!

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

To piggyback on Rats’ piggyback of Bikin’ Mike: Damn right BA is the key offensive stat. Take the aforementioned ’64 team:

Boyer 24 HRs, Bill White 21. 3rd place it was light hitting Javier and Lou tied with 12. Tied for 4th it was Shannon and Tim with 9. Looking at that you would think we stunk in 1964

Look at the Giants that year with Mays, McCovey, Jim Ray Hart and Cepeda! I don’t know how many homers that wrecking crew had but they finished 4th in the standings

We did it with base hits. Brock, Flood and White hit over .300 with Boyer, Groat and McCarver combining for over .290

Same holds for 1982’s Wall Bangers and the Cards. Batting average trumped power imogi

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bike and Rat, I couldn’t agree more….the fact that the run scoring is so pathetic, how they ended up here goes to show a minor tweak or two to the pitching could put them in a spot to win if they can fix the lineup.

2020 lineup
    C – Molina – should be in the 7 spot in the order
    1B – Goldy (can’t move that contract and he hasn’t been as bad as the others)
    2B – Edman – Wong’s money moved for a good player or great prospects
    SS – ??
    3B – ??
    LF – ??
    CF – Arozarena or Thomas – can’t have a second pitcher batting regardless of how great the D is, Arozarena and Thomas have looked well above average out there
    RF – ??

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Jack Flaherty sez: My kingdom for an offense that is not offensive.

Tommy Edman sez: My kingdom for other people that can hit.

Matt Carpenter sez: Kolten Wong, where are you? I need a rest.

Goldy sez: Can I close my eyes and swing better?

Yadi sez: Well I made an effort to wake up this team last night and all they did was stir a little bit.

Ozuna sez: Si Habla Espanol?

MM3 sez: When the going gets tough the tough get going. Suck it up and play hard Cardinals.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get perturbed with DeJong taking fat pitches and swinging at bad ones but I think we still keep a good fielding shortstop who hits 30 homers even if he is hitting only .240 and fanning a lot.

I would go with Flaherty today. We have three chances to win the division. Win today, Brewers lose today or we beat Milwaukee in the division playoff. The only reason I may not go with Flaherty would be how the two have fared in matchups against the Cubs and Brewers this year. If Mikolas has been better against the Cubs then he would go today. If Mikolas has been better against the Brewers then I go with Flaherty today.

Shildt has to make the right bullpen calls today. There are very few out there that I trust. They seem to have hit the wall after a very good season.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And Pugs sez “An entire week of grilled cheese sandwiches for CardinalinFrance would be akin to Martha Stewart eating nothing but spam sandwiches on stale bread for 7 consecutive days…..you just can’t do that”.

Go with the pizza, Wooster….but not store bought. I still haven’t found a decent supermarket pizza yet. They say DeGiorno pizza is great, but the one time I tried it, I found it to be one step tastier than cardboard.

Well if Sooner thinks Flaherty should be going today, then maybe I should rethink my stance on the matter. Wouldn’t this be crazy if both we and Milwaukee got swept this weekend? And then we or The Crew went on to win it all.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Exactly what time is the 1st pitch of this beat-down we’re gonna suffer?

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Flaherty is the guy to go with today. Not a tough call either. You have to have your best pitcher on the mound when the div title is on the line, provided he is ready, and he should be. 98 pitches followed by 4 days rest — time to man up, and I believe Flaherty will be up to the task. This is his game, his moment.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

3:30 eastern, 2:30 central Carter, I think

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Going into the last game of the year, where winning the division is on the line, your lead off hitter is hitting .236 and worse of late.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of our slumpers need to try bunting for a hit. Especially those who are heavily shifted.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Brewers lead off with a walk and a home run. 2-0. after two hitters.

jim
    jim
    Participant

Free

I’m not worried about Jack, I worry about whether we can get him more than 1 run.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

We win this one and Brewers win too. With the lefty going maybe the Gold Ozone of Jong will scatter a few hits.

Pulling for Tommy to catch Ripper Collins’ rookie record

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Spruce Wooster: “3:30 eastern, 2:30 central Carter, I think”

Thanks

jim
    jim
    Participant

Free

Our leadoff hitter:
    Last 7 days = .042
    Last 14 days = .100
    Last 28 days = .167

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Got Happ out. Seemed like a problem last night.

OK. That is the way to start: two walks and a single. Get the lead and go.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Nice to see Goldy stroke a single up the middle for a change. Can’t YOU do that, Ozone?

nope

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards got 2 in the 1st, but Holland tried to give more. Ozuna’s DP halted the rally.

Flaherty should feel like this is Christmas.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Double plays sure hurt a good rally. Last night, Goldy. Today, Ozuna. But, we have a lead for Flaherty, 2-0. Brewers up 2-0 after one.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

First thoughts at the end of the first:

Sit Ozuna the rest of the game… and pull Carp if
    he doesn’t start bunting toward 3rd base.

These are desperate times… time for Carp to change
    his ways. If they are going to shift that much…
    make them honest.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see at least a little offense. Hopefully they can make it a more comfortable game for Jack. They owe him some runs after all the poor performances.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years