StL 2019 Game 162 thread: Sun 9/29 vs. Cubs: NLC Champs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 162 thread: Sun 9/29 vs. Cubs: NLC Champs

This topic contains 173 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Avatar BrockLou 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2:15 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (14-9, 3.98) vs. TBA FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not understand anyone who does not want Flaherty to start this game. The Cards are trying to avoid the possibility of having to play two straight extra games – 163 to decide the division and the wild card game, an elimination contest on the road.

Start your best, win on Sunday and get directly into the best of five NLDS. No more counting on Colorado. Time to give it everything you’ve got.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I don’t understand anyone who wants to start Flaherty Sunday. It is myopic. It is not counting on the Rockies. And more importantly for the bigger picture, the Cards very likely need Flaherty for two against Atlanta.

There are not two elimination games pending. Sunday is not an elimination game. The potential Monday game would not be an elimination game. The first elimination game could be no earlier than Tuesday. Even if the Cards lose Sunday and the Brewers win Sunday, the Cards would still have two more guaranteed games, and if they win the first or the second of those, they will be in Atlanta for the NLDS.

As for Sunday, two games have to go against you. If they both do, then you can pitch Jack against MKE at home Monday to avoid the wildcard. In total, four games have to go against StL for them not to be in the NLDS.

1 – cubs beat Cards Sunday
    2 – Brewers beat Rox Sunday
    3 – Brewers beat Cards Monday
    4 – Nats beat Cards Tuesday

I would have confidence that one of the two games Sunday goes my way, thereby saving Jack for Atlanta, and enhancing my chances for the bigger prize. And as a final point, if you start Jack Sunday and lose and the Brewers win Sunday, you’ve made a total flustercluck out of things.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I totally agree brian. people seem to be hoping for luck instead of taking things into our own hands. you go with your best, you win and you get some rest. you lose and brewers win, then mikolas pitches Monday.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

to me if we lose tomorrow, we stand a better chance of playing in the wild card game with no pitching left but of course maybe miller could out duel Scherzer. we got lucky tonight with the rockies winning, don’t rely on that or us beating Milwaukee in a 163rd game. Milwaukee isn’t facing any pressure in that game. win or lose they come out smelling like roses. that’s why you go with Flaherty tomorrow. saving him for ateam he may never face is ridiculous. and he alone isn’t gonna beat any teams in the playoffs but he could beat the cubs tomorrow.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trevor Story is our new favorite player. (FOR THE DAY)

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Some wanted Mikolas to start at home during the playoffs. This would put Mikolas as the starter no matter what happens.

IMO Shildt is overthinking things. He did it today with moving Waino up. I’d rather have Mikolas in his original spot. I think we’d be talking about a division title if he’d started today.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When would the NLDS start?

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

NLDS starts Thursday in LA and ATL.

Those five games would be played Thursday, Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday.

The ALDS schedule starts Friday, and like the NLDS, has off days after Games 2 and 4.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I would give your young hurler an extra days rest. IMO

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All the “just a game”s have come home to roost and the Cards are in a win or majorly lose position. In theory, starting your ace against the opponent’s bullpen should be a nearly automatic win but this team has stubbed its toe all season in spots like this. You can tell they are mostly playing scared…will someone step up and right the ship before October?

Cautiously I will say that Jack has a less great game than we all expect but Yadi hits a 3 run HR and Edman drives in 2 and the Cards win 5-4.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Has Flaherty had enough rest? That is my only concern with starting him. We really can’t afford to waste him if he won’t be at his best.

We should have an advantage with Derek Holland starting. Of course, we haven’t been hitting anyone well. We really need to move runners over and play well. It would be a shame to ruin a good season by losing our last five.

We really need to jump start this. A little spirit wouldn’t hurt. Go out and get two runs quickly. Don’t stop. Hate to waste another scoreless start by a starter on a bad bullpen performance. Flaherty and Hudson should have victories to finish the season.

Get singles. Not everything has to be a home run. I would like to see fewer than nine Ks.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

At first I was unhappy because Friday and Saturday’s games were nighttime affairs and I couldn’t watch them. Now I’m glad I didn’t have to suffer (once again) through 14 Ks and yet another frustrating offenive performance. Today is a day game (9:15 P.m. start my time) and I’ll be there cheering for Jack and hoping this is the first day of one of our occasional hot streaks. I’ll be digesting a din of cantaloupe, roast pork, baked potatoes and snap beans cooked with butter and onions. If we win, I’ll crack open a pot of Hagen-Daz and slather it with chocolate sauce in celebration.
    Rah Cardinals!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who can think baseball after seeing what CardinalinFrance is having for din-din this evening? I do not know our esteemed friend’s chosen profession, but if he is not the senior master chef at the Chez Luis, then CardinalinFrance may very well have missed his true calling in life. It goes without saying that your’s truly lives and breathes Cardinal baseball. But if given the choice of indulging in CardinalinFrance’s “snap peas cooked with butter and onions”, or witnessing a Tommy Edman grand salami in today’s action, I’m slowly walking back and forth with my head down for a good 30 minutes, painfully mulling it over, before rendering my decision.

If Euro doesn’t garner Post of the Week honors for his above post, then there is indeed something that has gone seriously amuck here at The Cardinal Nation. I couldn’t have said it better myself…..God knows that in my wildest dreams I couldn’t have. The second Jack Rafe Flaherty takes that mound today, the cubbies have won. Ok, I’m not necessarily talking about the ballgame, but they have forced us to use our ace pitcher vs them, thus messing with our post season rotation. The move could very well kill our chances of success in the playoffs…..all because of the Chicago cubs. If we cannot defeat Derek Holland and his band of largely second rung fill ins, in this kind of crucial game, without having to oppose them with our ace, then our Birds do not deserve to sit atop this division anyway. What a royal punch in the face of our arch rivals it would be, if they were to prance in to St. Louis and win the series, but we win the division anyway. I think Shildt, after not sleeping all night because of agonizing his intentions of burning Flaherty, will have a change of heart and mind and NOT pitch Jack Flaherty today. We can only pray.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Diz asked:

Has Flaherty had enough rest? That is my only concern with starting him. We really can’t afford to waste him if he won’t be at his best.

Flaherty is pitching today on his fifth day, as he has all season. This isn’t time to get cute with future positioning. They need to win a game – and the best time to do that is today, Sunday. Then, they can rest until Thursday.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Please oh please Pugs choose the Tommy Edmans grand slam. If he gets one I promise I’ll eat nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches the rest of the week.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have changed my mind and think Flaherty is the best option. Our club stands a better chance if we give them a few days off. If we win today, we’re off until Thursday, with Hudson the likely choice, and Flaherty can pitch Friday against Atlanta.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If the Redbirds cant win one of three at home against a depleted Cubs lineup they don’t deserve to be NL Central champs. Perhaps they will end up NL Central chumps. Who knows.

Surely they can win one game against the Cubs. But like I said, the Cubs absolutely LOVE to beat the Cardinals and ruin their playoff hopes. And after last weekend, they are probably trying even harder. Oh well.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who made himself chili for the weekend

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

You cannot lose this game knowing your best pitcher did not throw a single pitch.

Along those lines, I do not understand what happened to Mikolas. After the loss Friday, I would thought he would start Saturday and Jack Sunday, unless we clinched, then go with a Helsley or Cabrera Sunday.

In a big “do or die” series, use your best. Although Waino had pitched better of late and was good at home. Plus he has a pedigree that is tough to overlook when you need a big game. Still he is probably your fourth best starter.

Not sure if anyone saw the highlights of the Rockies-Brewers, but that was some game! Great plays on both sides, and an improbable opposite field homer by a lefty off Hader, with two outs, none on in the 9th! The pitch was up and away, and Hilliard sort of tomahawked it but was right on it, and lined into the left-field bleachers.

Lorenzo Cain looked to be the hero, bringing back a potential two-run homer like he did in the season opener against us, plus making another spectacular grab. The Crew also lost two runners at the plate.

They did most everything right and looked confident, but the end was stunning and now you wonder how they will come out today.

Meanwhile when you think about it, the Brewers may be better off losing today. Win and they risk playing an extra game, and on the road at that. Lose and they can skip that extra game, and go in to Washington in full force for that one.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I just read an article ranking the offense for the 10 playoff teams. The Cardinals were obviously last by a wide margin. Goldy, Ozuna and DeJong need to get out of their slumps immediately. They have all looked beyond terrible lately, when any of the three come to the plate I just assume K, weak grounder or lazy pop up and they are supposed to be the “big hitters”?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, the big problem with our lineup is that neither Goldy nor Ozuna have been as productive as hoped-for when they were acquired. Carpenter has greatly regressed, and Molina is pretty weak as a number 5 guy. He has his moments, but is not the big threat you prefer in that spot.

You would prefer DeJong step up and be the number 5 hitter, but after his great start he fell into the mode of the rest of the club, which is a lot of strikeouts and an occasional home run.

The main problem with our club this year on offense gets back to the stat that no one pays much attention to anymore, batting average. We are too much of a feast-or-famine team, and would be much better off if at least a couple of those guys had hit in the .280-.310 range. Wong was getting there, and his loss has really hurt.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are supposed to be playing the Cubs for the title today as so many thought earlier this month. The Cubs played terrible ball and dropped out of the race. MIL played great so here we are on the last day of the season playing CHC a team with nothing to lose and we have a lot to lose with a loss.

I agree with pitching Flaherty today with so much on the line. The thing is if he gives us a great chance of winning and the bullpen blows it, I’ll be turning in my Cardinal Fan Club card and blowing a gasket especially if MIL wins.

Wainwright pitched his worse game of the season, matched only by the July 19th shellacking he took in Cincinnati. Thus putting us in this situation.

Today’s game is not the 7th game of the WS but it sort of feels like it. Except that we still will be playing some extra meaningful games, if we lose. If we win we will be doing all of cardinaldom a great favor. No game 163…. no play-in game, loser goes home.

We need to win today, period. “I can’t be putting up with this sh*t indefinitely”…. from the movie ” The Last Detail”. The young Nicholson’s best flick.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years