StL 2019 Game 160 thread: Fri 9/27 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 160 thread: Fri 9/27 vs. Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Thursday’s day off…
    7:15 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (16-7, 3.45) vs. TBA FOX Sports Midwest // ESPN2 // KMOX // WIJR

14NyquisT
    Participant

ESPN still has the Cub starter as “undecided”. Do they have any young pitchers that we haven’t seen yet?
    This series will be Maddon’s swan song and he is known to do things like that.

Stepping away from the intensity of today and from my spot in the last row of the cheap seats, for me this has been an entertaining couple of weeks for us Card fans. We’ve seen the great, the good, the bad and the horrible. There has been a lot of speculation, scoreboard watching and a good look at some prospects. Some players have shown a lot of heart and soul.

Had the Cards not have that bottom 6th, the headlines would have been loaded with accolades for Arozarena’s great performance. Instead…. the lead stories of the game go to the DBack’s big inning.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, agreed NyQuist. Today is a nice break. Hopefully the Cards can take care of the Cubs.

Good thought about Arozarena. He seems to do most of what Bader does in CF. He might not be quite as good defensively, but I feel like the bat would be a nice improvement for us. Randy could be a sneaky .850 OPS/4+ WAR player in the future if he gets a real shot at it. Not unlike Tommy Pham, but without the attitude (hopefully). For now, he might be auditioning for the postseason if he gets any PT the next three days.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no fear of these tame Cubbies any longer. Yes, I am sure they have revenge on their mind after we destroyed their season last weekend but it sure appears they have completely let go of the rope. They have lost 8 in a row as of Thursday morning and can’t even be beat the hapless Pirates this week.

They are battling injuries, mental fatigue, and have a lame duck manager. I think we steam roll the Cubs again so they can watch us clinch on our home field!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any yes I agree about Randy. He is having quite an audition for 2020 isn’t he? I would have no problem seeing him as starting OF next year. We know Ozuna is probably out the door. Could Bader be expendable also with Randy and Carlson coming on strong?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no fear of these tame Cubbies any longer. Yes, I am sure they have revenge on their mind after we destroyed their season last weekend but it sure appears they have completely let go of the rope. They have lost 8 in a row as of Thursday morning and can’t even be beat the hapless Pirates this week.

They are battling injuries, mental fatigue, and have a lame duck manager. I think we steam roll the Cubs again so they can watch us clinch on our home field!

I’d like to feel the same, and hope the players remain confident. The Cards really lost a game Tuesday that could have went either way so it’s not as though they played terribly the entire series in Arizona. Hopefully the day off will let them rest and amp up to really beat the Cubs down. You’ve got to figure that they will be without Bryant and Baez, and maybe even Rizzo if they want to shut it down.

I’d just really enjoy some 10-2 type Cards wins to make it less stressful heading into what is always a nerve wracking time in October.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Rat – Thanks for your post. I wanted to say something about being let down by Goldschmidt again, also. After he signed a $130M contract, all his offensive stats dropped hard. If you take away his fast start in April and his inexplicable production in July, he’s not anywhere near the elite hitter he told us he was. What makes matters even worse is that he hogged so much of the organization’s budget for himself. I feel betrayed.

I think what sold everyone on Goldschmidt was the fact that he had a red hot 2nd half last year, or the last few months, whatever it was. He went on a tear. I’ve been waiting on that tear the entire year now and so far its never materialized.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If baseball has taught us anything, the only sure things are Mike Trout being super human, and normal players being uneven year to year. Goldy hasn’t been elite like we wanted, but he has still been good. His 1B defense has probably saved multiple games alone over what we had last year with Carp and Martinez. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he put up a 140 wRC+ next year. He’s still 32 which isn’t the end. I expect he and Carpenter both to look a lot better in 2020.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I bet Goldy and Carp bounce back next year as well. Goldy doesn’t get enough credit for all the balls he pick out of the dirt at first. I get a feeling the confidence the middle infield has in him also helps them get the ball out of their hand faster when turning DPs

But for now, let’s win this series and not be a wild card team. The Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl has left me a rather scarred sports fan. I can’t handle anymore choke in my life. Also will be home in Atlanta next weekend and would love a reason to spend too much money on a postseason ticket

It’s good that Flaherty doesn’t pitch again this regular season. I think the offense just thinks they don’t need to show up to the park if he’s on the mound

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

On Goldy: I feel he certainly improved our team. We were clearly better at first base this year. He had a disappointing season simply because we expected so much of him. Was he worth the money? Our thoughts on that will no doubt evolve over the long haul. But 33 HR, 95 rbi and 260 BA is nothing to sneeze at. I’d give him a B+ for his performance as it stands today.

And I took great pleasure in watching Edman play half a season. I know there still doubters out there who see him as no more than a good future utility infielder. Maybe so, but I sure like what I’ve seen so far.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m a huge fan of Baders centerfield D, but With Thomas and Arozarena in the fold and looking better than ok out there, in my opinion it’s time to trade high on Bader. I’ve become all about the defense over the past few years, but you can’t have a Pete Kozma/Peter Bourjous in the lineup daily.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Condidering where we were at 2 seasons ago. Down to Carp and Gyroko being the majority of our offense. I really can’t malign buying Ozuna and Goldy at all. Really our middle order was as scary as a bowl of spaghetti. We’ve come a long ways in the last 2 years. Got great up and comers pitching and position players both. Grown on the farm! I see no reason to not win the season. Our destiny is in our own hands. All we have to do is win. Whats new about that?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Aquino with a HR to give the Reds a 1-0 lead after one inning in Cincy.

David
    Participant

Free

I agree with Cardinal in France and our expectations of Goldy coming into the season. Although respectable numbers, definitely not Goldy numbers of the past. But if Carp or DeJong were to produce those kind of numbers, I think we’d be praising them for a good year but with Goldy… it’s considered a down year based on how he closed out 2018 like Rats commented above. Of course baseball is series to series so if Goldy has a good series against the Cubs and produces in the post season, then we forget those numbers in the regular season which were by no means terrible for an average player.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds still lead 1-0 in the 4th but Castillo has walked the first two batters. Looks like Thames left the game with an injured leg.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Castillo walks three in the inning and then gives up a bases clearing double to Arcia, followed by another double to Gamel. Brewers lead 4-1 and it’s looking like it will be a mere 1 game lead going into the final series without a miracle comeback.

David
    Participant

Free

Brewers are playing great ball and you have to give them credit. They could have easily given up on their season after Yelich went down but they came together as a team and are fighting to the bitter end.
    What is Yelich status BTW? Does he have any chance of making it to the postseason?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brewers are playing great ball and you have to give them credit.

I can’t ever give the Brewers credit for anything so long as they employ Ryan Braun. Hopefully the Rockies and then the Nationals take care of them this weekend.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Stlcard25, let’s just hope they have to play the Nats in 2019 and the Cards don’t have to…. unless it’s in the NLCS

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have serious doubts that they lose a game before the playoffs start…literally every team they’ve played has laid down and rolled over all month.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Milwaukee has really been something. If they sneak in and win the Central, it will be a major let down as that would mean we lost to the Cubs on our home turf. What an emotional roller-coaster that would be after last weekend.

Great to see Arozarena do well yesterday. Personally I am ready to move on from Bader, if someone can step up take the job. This is likely a Spring Training situation, so lets go get this Division Crown first!

Throw strikes tomorrow, Dak!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reds trying to claw back into the game. Suarez up as the tying run. Now would be a fine time for his 50th homer.

David
    Participant

Free

3 outs away from a 1 game lead with 3 games left.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds strand the bases loaded in the 8th, likely ending their best shot to steal one.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brewers win 5-3. Now that we know the landscape, I’d peg the percentages at 40% Cards win the Central, 40% chance of a play in game, and 20% chance the Cards lose the division outright. I’d almost rather lose outright thaan tie, as the tiebreaker game will be Jordan Lyles who is tough on the Cards, and I don’t see any chance the Cards beat the Nats in the WC unless Flaherty is pitching.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.