StL 2019 Game 159 thread: Wed 9/25 at D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 159 thread: Wed 9/25 at D-backs

This topic contains 104 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by LouBrockFan LouBrockFan 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2:40 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-7, 4.68) vs. RHP Merrill Kelly (12-14, 4.31) YouTube // KMOX

Direct link to free game viewing on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrKTW3-irLM

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Lets knock another one off before we leave town. They will all be sleepy. Go Cardinals!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Merrill Kelly, the Dbacks starter, has not given up a run in 15 innings. That doesn’t bode well for us. We will need some luck to avoid our lead being pared to 1.5 games (potentially 1) before we face the Cubs again. You know they’d love nothing more than to knock us into the WC game.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last night/morning… another wasted super start from our ace Flaherty. How many more of these do we have to witness. With the race so close now it would be a shame if we have to use him to finish up the season rather than opening up for the post-season.

MLB ranks him #2 best starter to open up the October games, just behind Verlander. Scherzer will likely pitch the win or go home game.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suspect that they may sit Fowler (9K’s in 2 games), Carp and Molina today. Maybe not Molina since Thursday is an off day, but the other two need to sit one out. Play Sosa or Muno and Arozarena.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

Agreed 14Nyquis… it’s getting old but we need to put this behind us and move on.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I always set my TIVO for 6 hours games. It failed me last night. It quit in the 18th with Fowler hitting a fly about 10 feet off the bat and I was guessing it was a dinger — evidently I was wrong.

The big question is who will play today – Yadi is great but Wieters should get the start. Not enough subs to give anybody a bench day but Carpenter needs to sit for the rest of the season; however, he had lots of company last night. I would say that Jacko and Goldy were our two best players in that game. Ozuna looked like a dunce in left and hit into two DPs.

Some blame Shildt but those same some have no idea what was going on behind the scenes. Couch Managers are the worst kind.

Last night turned into today and I have to actually watch a game with commercials on YouTube but some have to suffer to get their entertainment. I will take one for the team……..but they better win. AZ is not a bunch of rollovers. TIVO no work on YouTube so it will get a rest today.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

You’re right stlcard25, the cubs would love nothing more than to knock us back into the wc game esp after what we did to them this past weekend, but @ the same time the Redbirds would love nothing more than to celebrate a division title in front of their loyal fans by beating them.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

Schildt needs to really consider Flaherty finishing his own games esp when he’s as dominant as he has been. The bullpen is for relief help. Did it look to anyone last night that Flaherty needed any relief help? And why put that pressure on the pen. You know that miller has to feel like crap. If Flaherty stays in, there’s a great chance it’s a complete game shutout win, we have 3.5 game lead. As far as PC for those concerned with PC , Flaherty left with 98 so even if he ended up with 130 let’s say, our bullpen is rested, and the chances of Flahertys last start until the playoffs increases, so he would get more days off to rest his arm. Now if he has to pitch on Sunday, figure his PC is 90 which means he would have thrown 188 pitches in 5 days with normal day rest as opposed to 130 pitches with 8 or 9 day rest.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Shildt made mistakes last night that cost us the game.

1) Bringing in the homerun machine Miller in the 9th. Should have been someone else.
    2) Bringing in Gant in the 13th. Jeepers, he’s terrible.
    3) Walking Walker to pitch to the guy with three hits since the 9th inning. He did that earlier and got away with it but not in the 19th.

In my mind the loss last night is on Shildt.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know it’s all hands on deck, but I wonder how many unavailable pitchers there are? I would guess PDL, Helsley, Brebbia and Gallegos. Let’s get a good start from Wacha and win tonight. It would be a great time for the offense to come alive and score 10 runs again.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t it be good insurance to recall Gomber. If he could pitch an inning a couple times in the next 4 games it might help.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lineup

T Edman (S) 3B
    J Martínez (R) RF
    R Ravelo (R) 1B
    M Wieters (S) C
    T O’Neill (R) LF
    R Arozarena (R) CF
    Y Muñoz (R) SS
    E Sosa (R) 2B
    M Wacha (R) P

I must say that I don’t like the lineup much (Muñoz at SS? Wieters at cleanup? Yikes) but maybe they will surprise.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

The lineup doesn’t strike fear into opposing pitchers, but we have your Sunday lineup, your get away day line up, and now your … we played 19 innings last night lineup.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

YOU GOT TO BE SH~TTING ME SHILDT?????

You are running a getaway day lineup out there in the midst of a pennant race with only four games left and the Brewers right on our heels?????

Surely to high heaven that is not – NOT – the lineup we are using today. Is Shildt trying to lose the pennant for us?????

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Diamondbacks are mostly following the Cards’ lead…Flores and Ahmed are the only regular starters, it looks like.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Ratsbuddy wrote:

YOU GOT TO BE SH~TTING ME SHILDT?????>

I agree with Shildt. The team played a doubleheader last night PLUS one inning. But think of it this way – WOW what a bench we will have. I have a feeling the rookies won’t hurt us at all. Their time to shine.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Last night’s game was costly in so many ways — a real bad night for Shildt (who has made his share of good calls the last couple months). Radical looking lineup today, but the lack of focus at the plate last night for so many of the guys means they need some bench time. They were so bad with their situational hitting it fell to even a relatively low level for this consistency-challenged offense.

Evidently the Brewers aren’t losing again, so very realistic chance the Cards lead will be down to one game going into the cubs series. And then it might very well take winning 2 of 3 from them to get into a divisional tiebreaker game.

You never know though. Maybe last night will be just a one game slip. Or maybe they’ll keep stumbling and bumbling. Regardless, if you were offered the Cards to take 5 of the next 6 going into the cubs series, any and everyone would’ve taken that. And unfortunately, it’s still not enough because of the Brewers’ fortuitous end-season schedule.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

I understand fans are not happy with the Cardinals lineup today but lets not forget the line up we put out last night produced 2 runs in 19 innings including 1run over last 18 and that was on a full night of rest so perhaps schildt way of thinking… give the starters a couple days of rest in hopes they will find their swing again heading into the weekend series and playoffs.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

I was happy to see that lineup. I haven’t seen a minor league game for 30 years (even tho’ I’m walking distance from the Redbirds park in Memphis)

Nice gentlemen’s agreement by the G.M’s

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I do not have a problem with the makeshift lineup after last night’s game. Sometimes you do this sort of thing and score a dozen.

Hopefully that ridiculous 19 inning affair does not screw things up. All we need is a collapse with the Cubs getting revenge for last weekend and knocking us down to the wild card game.

But really, the Crew has to lose a couple here soon, right? They cannot keep winning day after day, especially without Yelich.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is basically a Memphis lineup.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A few weeks ago, most of this lineup was tearing the cover off the ball in the minors. Hopefully they still remember how to hit.

On the other side, we need Wacha to to 6 innings and not get hammered because our pen will be a little thin, at least by September standards.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some people wanted to see the kids play, for the most part that is what we have here.

I do like that everyone except Edman will get a 2 day break before a tough Cubs series to end the season, where regardless of today will mean that the games matter and the cubs will be out for spoiler magic no matter what

I would add about the lineup today is that we shouldnt forget that the DBacks are just as tired as the Cardinals and will probably not be at their best even if a few regulars play.

I think this is a game where we come out on top due to the depth of our system, rarely does it come into play so obviously, but in a game like this having quality backups at every position, even if they arent stars, is very helpful.

The Cardinals may have issues creating impact 1st stringers for offense, but hey absolutely do not have a hard time creating MLB caliber players. You see them scattered all over baseball year in year out.

I am not a fan of JMart 2, I really think Sosa would work well in the 2 spot.

I’d have gone with:
    Edman
    Sosa
    Jmart
    Ravelo
    Oneill
    Knizner
    Munoz
    Randy

I am not convinced Wieters is totally healthy and I’d prefer to get him as much rest as possible. Plus uit gives us that nice switch hitting pinch hitter option.

I am most concerned about Wacha going deep though.

I figure we have Wacha for 5, Mayers for 2, Webb 1, CMart 1…Junior and Gallegos and Gant are also available for 1 perhaps, but I think this may be a Wacha and Mayers ride or die type of game…which does not instill a ton of confidence…

having said that, it makes this game fun to watch…maybe not for a national public via Youtube or not, but for us Cardinals fans there is plenty of intrigue and interest seeing some of the bench guys playing

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I know we have to win this thing ourselves, but you’ll forgive me if I hope just a tiny bit that the beer men contribute by losing one or two.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years