StL 2019 Game 159 thread: Wed 9/25 at D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 159 thread: Wed 9/25 at D-backs

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just got back. 7 runs ain’t too bad but they get 7 in one inning. Hard to win like that. We’re not done yet. Need to rest up,pull together and play our game the next 4. Go Cardinals!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a horrid game. I’m glad I watched no more than 5 minutes of it. As good as Genesis and Junior were yesterday, they were that bad today. Rookie hitters, no doubt.

Looking like the Cards will have to win at least 2 of 3 against the Cubs to take the division. It would be a crushing way to lose a division to a gimpy joke of a team.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Would anybody argue that Goldschmidt has been a disappointment this year? How many big clutch situations has he failed in throughout the 2019 season?

Yes, I know, he has had some big moments. I didn’t say he has been a major disappointment. But overall, I don’t think there is any doubt that he’s not been good this year when it counts.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I agree that those odds seem a bit high. Tomorrow’s Brewers game is the huge one. I’m sure the computer says that facing Castillo at home is not going to be easy for them but the way they are playing I’d guess that game is a tossup at worst. The Cards would still need to win 2/3 against Chicago…call that a tossup as well? The Brewers will likely take 2/3 at minimum in Colorado.

If I was handicapping how I’d say there’s a 60% chance the Cards win the division, 30% chance there’s a tie and 10% that the Brewers win outright.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

. . . odds of winning the division just dropped from 94% to 90% based on today’s loss. It feels lower, doesn’t it?

To me, it seems closer to even money than 90%. A lot of guys are struggling now. I’d go with 2:3 odds still in favor of the Cards (60%). Brewers have to lose at least one more, don’t they?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Damn stlcard, you’re smarter than I thought. I just saw your post (same time stamp as mine).

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brilliance recognizes brilliance. Great post, Euro Dandy!! 😂

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards need to root for the Nats to lose in case they meet in the wild card game (home field advantage goes to the team with best record).

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat – Thanks for your post. I wanted to say something about being let down by Goldschmidt again, also. After he signed a $130M contract, all his offensive stats dropped hard. If you take away his fast start in April and his inexplicable production in July, he’s not anywhere near the elite hitter he told us he was. What makes matters even worse is that he hogged so much of the organization’s budget for himself. I feel betrayed.

ortawasout
    Participant

Free

Goldschmidt’s numbers were in decline prior to signing with St. Louis. See here:

Deep Dive: Paul Goldschmidt Happens

One could certainly argue that the STL front office ignored this data given what they agreed to for 6 years.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Goldschmidt’s salary for this year was $14.5 million. That was 4th highest on the team. Molina, Fowler and Carpenter all were paid more. They also paid $8 million to Gyorko, $5 million to Leake, $7.75 million to Cecil and $5 million to Gregerson. I would not say that he hogged much of the team’s budget in 2019. Next year will be different.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nevertheless I still think we win the division. If the Brewers lose tomorrow we have a huge advantage going into the weekend. Even if they win we still have the edge.

Here I am being the optimist.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh and by the way, the Cubs have officially been eliminated from the postseason so that means the Cardinals will advance further than the Cubs for the first time since 2014. The curse is over.

Congrats to everyone in the organization, including the front office, who helped make this happen.

I know we all want to win the division but no matter what we are in the postseason. That in itself is an improvement over the last three years. Let’s be positive.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Looks like the Cubs might have given up for the season. They lost tonight 4-2 to the Pirates, for Pete’s sake. Hope they keep that downward trend for another week. Agree with gscotter on needing to stay positive…we still have the upper hand, and Rockies have won 7 of their last 11. Brewers are finishing strong, but they won’t sweep the Rockies. We could very well sweep the Cubs at home. It’s going to be a great finish!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I’d say at this point we need to worry about ourselves first but yes Milwaukee losing tomorrow would keep us with the best chance to take the division.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The cubbies will be pulling out all of the stops to prevent us from visiting Atlanta next week. When one arch rival does what our Birds did this past weekend to the other arch rival, especially on their soil, watch out, because payback is usually on the docket. Toss injuries, lack of post season incentive and loss of momentum right out the window for this weekend’s series, because we’ll be in for a dogfight.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I was not happy with the loss but I do agree with the manager. The bench mafia did a great job by scoring 7 runs and their hitting was more consistent than games where the A squad plays. Finally got a good chance to see some of the rookies in action and Arozarena is impressive. I just can’t get warm on ONeil – the guy just swing and misses too often. Wieters, for once, did not look up to it behind the plate but he did drive in two runs late in the game. Sad to say, Goldy could not come through at the end but this has been one heck of a stretch of 16 games with the last 7 on the road and NO days off. The 19 inning affair was not something any team needs in a pennant race.

Somebody asked a great question and I never saw the answer: In the 19 inning game can you have TWO blown saves? (9th and 13th)

David
    Participant

Free

By losing 2/3 to Arizona, we have put ourselves in a vulnerable situation against the Cubs for the weekend series. Not only do they have a chance to knock us back down to the WC spot but maybe even put us in a position where we would have to play a one game winner take all against the brewers on Monday in either case, with Flaherty scheduled to pitch Sunday we wouldn’t have our best pitcher to pitch either of those games. Hopefully the reds and Rockies can help us out a little bit but at the same time we have to take care of business and help ourselves out. Let’s put this past series against the DBacks and chalked it up as a series let down after completing an emotional series sweep against the cubs. Use this day of rest to regroup and play Cardinal baseball and celebrate a division title without having to use Flaherty on Sunday. Go Cardinals!

David
    Participant

Free

Correction… apparently it would be Waino who is scheduled to start Sunday

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

(Not a criticism) but I am curious what people think of last night’s infield alignment (Edman 3rd, Munoz SS, Sosa 2b) I would have had Munoz 3B, Sosa SS, Edman 2B. Any others have opinions on this?

14NyquisT
    Participant

“What, who me worry”. We’ll find a way to win this monster that we have created.(see Dave’s comment above) The Brewers ain’t that good.

David
    Participant

Free

I think Edman was put at 3rd because he’s been most familiar with that position since taking over for Carp before Wong went out then he was moved to second.

14NyquisT
    Participant

CC… you make a good point. Sosa was a given at SS and he would have been more comfortable with Edman at 2B, since they played the first half of the season together. ?? Shildt probably knows something that we don’t.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.