StL 2019 Game 154 thread: Fri 9/20 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 154 thread: Fri 9/20 at Cubs

This topic contains 266 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wooster 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 251 through 267 (of 267 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Brewers are the real threat. Not only they are ahead of the Cubs but they have their final 9 games against three relatively awful teams (Pittsburgh, Cincinatti and Colorado). Pittsburgh doesn’t seem to be trying to win. The other two may pick up a win.

If the Brewers go 7-2 we have to go 5-4 to win.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

In all fairness, most were fine with Edman playing – just not in the OF. The only reason Edman was in the outfield was that Shildt waited far too long to sit Carpenter.

That is not the only reason Edman was/is playing RF. It was primarily to get another left-handed bat in the line-up before Edman became the starter at 3B.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Correction: The Cards have only eight games remaining. (Putting the Cubs aside, the magic number is 6.) If the Brewers go 7-2, the Cards could go 4-4 and they would finish one game up on Milwaukee. If 3-5, they tie for the division and would have a one-game playoff. It would be held in St. Louis, since the Cards have a 10-9 head to head edge.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GC, are you debating whether Carpenter needed to sit sooner? If he had, then Edman’s LH bat would have been playing at third days/weeks earlier. There was/is no good reason to play him in the OF. It was all about protecting Carpenter as long as possible.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

yep brian you are right about the edman/carp thing. should have happened sooner. carp is a team player an di believe he would do the same if he was a coach in that situation. he probably doesn’t love it but is smart enough to understand it. I believe he will be given plenty of opportunity to get his job back next year. that would mean edman probably going to the outfield as long as he doesn’t show any signs of a second year struggle.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well at the time Carpenter was the everyday third baseman against right-handed pitchers and Edman had to play right field if he was getting in the line-up. He played third when the pitcher was left-handed. There was a gradual process of removing Carpenter from the line-up. Whether Shildt waited too long to remove him is a matter of opinion. Mike Shildt probably would disagree with you.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well very few managers ever admit they are wrong, and mike shildt fits squarely in that hole.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

We get one more from the Cubs this weekend stick a fork in them.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not only would Shildt not admit he was slow to act, he would not risk disrespecting Carpenter in doing so.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Pirates rolled over tonight, losing 10-1 to the Brewers. Milwaukee is 15-4 this month.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure that we would have won today’s game if not for Carlos yielding those three 9th inning runs last night. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I truly believe that each and every cub thought there was no way the Cardinals were going to defeat them in extra innings after their 9th inning heroics. How could they? Especially in their park where they were nearly unbeatable all year….and totally unbeatable vs these Cardinals. Carpenter’s 10th inning homer coupled with no cub counter punch in their half of the 10th has put this once proud cub squad on the mat….and it’s now highly likely they they lack the energy and true will to get to their feet to claim a wild card slot. Thank you Carlos!!

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Looking at the Cubs rotation, they are set for Darvish, ??, Hendricks/Lester all on full rest. The second game is a puzzle, unless Hamels can actually pitch.

The nice thing about winning at least one more of the next two Cubs games is that they will save Hendricks for the wild card game instead of sending him against Flaherty on the last day.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Pugs: “I had this strange burning desire to bellow out “My Old Kentucky Home”……and may God be my judge, I sang it, right there in the middle of a busy 7-11 convenience store”

Did your boss send you back to the register?

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Out hit 9-4 yesterday. That’s problematic. Seems like every Cardinal with a beard strikes out too much.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Bruno Sammartino in that avatar. He came to Indianapolis and tagged with Dick the Bruiser back in the 1970s. One of the all time great tag teams.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did your boss send you back to the register?

He sure did…..to ring up Carter Le Grand’s tampons.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I thought that was Carters pic, eatin’ all those healthy foods!

Viewing 17 posts - 251 through 267 (of 267 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years