StL 2019 Game 154 thread: Fri 9/20 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 154 thread: Fri 9/20 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 267 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:20 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-7, 4.76) vs. LHP José Quintana (13-8, 4.37) FOX Sports Midwest // MLB Network (out of market) // KMOX

Update

Rookie Alec Mills will start Friday and Quintana will be given an additional day of rest and will pitch on Saturday instead.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brian,
    You sure these games start at 1:20 and not 2:20?

Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brian,
    My error. Its 1:20. I was so used to seeing 2:20 here in the est that I thought it should have been 2:20. I guess I was too excited after the Reds beat the Cubs tonight that I wasn’t seeing or thinking straight.

r/Esteemed Rat <<<<<< who goofed

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I think all the Fri/Sat/Sun games start at that time Rats. But the Thur game is on Fox at 6. Someone mentioned earlier that Chicago has a law or agreement with the Cubs that they cannot play games on Friday nights.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From Ben Fred’s chat:

QUESTION: Michael Wacha against the Cubs on Friday … does anyone else have a bad feeling about this? Are the Cardinals considering starting someone else?

BENFRED: There is evidence to be uncertain, certainly. There are not plans to not start him. Who would start in his place? This is what the Cardinals signed up for when they didn’t improve the 5th rotation spot. Cross the fingers. Hope for the best.

Wacha has been more good than bad since the trade deadline. His final two starts will be big ones. Wacha gave up four earned (five total) in five innings in his lone start against the Cubs this season. It was at Wrigley. In his four starts there since the start of the 2017 season, he has a 7.71 ERA in 21 innings. The Cubs are slugging .524 against him during that span. Buckle up!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I just noticed that the last Arizona game is on YouTube. That is a pain for me to have to haul out the laptop and hook it up to the big TV and not have the ability to TIVO it to avoid the commercials. Oh well, by then I hope the Cards have it wrapped up but who knows.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just noticed that the last Arizona game is on YouTube. That is a pain for me to have to haul out the laptop and hook it up to the big TV and not have the ability to TIVO it to avoid the commercials. Oh well, by then I hope the Cards have it wrapped up but who knows.

No YouTube app on your TV? That would have it on there and you could skip commercials there if it was on delay.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quintana has struggled of late while Wacha has actually been relatively solid. That said, I hope Ponce and co are ready for the short hook if needed. A win today would put the Cubs in a delightfully difficult position. We need a few guys on offense to step up and drive them down.

Oh, and go Pirates. A couple of wins over Milwaukee this weekend would be a great gift.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wacha has pitched better of late, and I am fine with throwing him out there. Of course it feels better after last night’s win, but it looks like Wacha has found something and is in a bit of a groove.

Love those Friday afternoon tilts they play at Wrigley. I will likely miss most of it, as I am going on a hike in the mountains in the morning, then going to look at a truck after that. I am in the market for a new truck to replace my good ole 2003 Ford Ranger, which still runs great but it is time to upgrade. Hopefully I can listen some on SiriusXM.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thanks STL25. I was thinking of the old system but the cable supplier finally included YouTube on the lineup so I can do that but last time I tried to TIVO it I could not because TIVO is not on the Guide. Maybe if I just started a recording in-game it would work. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up and getting me straight again.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Great team win last night. Should not have been that close.Wacha was really good his last start. What scares me is going up against a left hander. I do like us in an afternoon game. Millers enough off a veteran to close and so is Brebbia. Gant and Helsey both scare me. Whos left?

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Go Cardinals? Lets do it again!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been saying for awhile that if we could somehow manage a split in this series we should be in good shape. I still feel that way but after winning last night it is tempting to get greedy and get better than a split. We could really put the Cubs out of everyone’s misery with a couple more wins this weekend.

I don’t like the pitching matchup today. Wacha at Wrigley gives me the jitters. Ponce needs to be ready to go. Speaking of Ponce where has he been? Have they used him at all in September? Very strange.

Hopefully Wong won’t be out too many games. I am assuming Carp will be in the lineup today. I am happy for him for being the hero last night but do we really expect him to do much against the lefty today? Maybe he will surprise us again.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter batting fifth.

1. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    2. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Michael Wacha (R) P

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

banner

I’m with Mr. Cottar on the split factor. A split is huge. I’m not sweating Wacha. I’m sweating Shildt.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I like that lineup given Wong is out. Separation between Ozuna and DeJong in the order is good right now.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I forgot that they are using Mills today and moving Quintana to Saturday.

The lineup makes sense. I have been wanting Edman second and DeJong seventh so I like that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody have any status on Wong? Is he day-to-day or is he going to be out a few games? Perhaps the rest of the season?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Here’s what I read this morning on Wong. I don’t remember where I read it or have a link, so I’m going off memory.

– He’s having an MRI today, so status TBD
    – Shildt called it a “mild strain”
    – Wong said it didn’t feel too bad

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I guess one never knows, but think about this.

If we would have lost last night it could have had the ripple effect and we could have gone on to lose every game in the series. It could have ended our season.

Carpenter’s homerun in my mind is the single biggest hit/homerun of the year, hands down. It might very well be what turns the tide. He’s having a horsesh~t year but that one atbat might make the season for both him and the Cards.

You cant over emphasize last night’s win – it wasn’t just big or huge. It was ENORMOUS!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Losing Kolton or Tommy at this point would be really bad. Carp getting back in to the lineup is worrying. Don’t we have enough strikeout machines around here?

What’s the deal with Kninzer? Ain’t seen him for a while.

David
    Participant

Free

Completely agree rats…it was beyond huge and the fact that we did it the very next inning after given up a 3 run lead in the 9th, says a lot about our team. Everything happens for a reason. Imagine if Wong, Doesn’t leave the game, then Carp isn’t batting in that situation.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs, in their desperation, reached for the only thing they know that could stem the Cards’ offensive tide…

The no name righty. 😬

David
    Participant

Free

I know a lot would have to happen, but it would be nice to see the Cardinals clinch a division title in Arizona and watch Goldy celebrate on Chase field with his Cardinal teammates

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

For me, while there were many big plays last night, my favorite was when Goldy deked out that hot dog catcher and went right around him despite the dude blocking the plate even before he got the ball. The Cubbie catcher then dropped the ball after he missed the swipe which made me think Goldy would have knocked it out if he had been tagged. That run was critical to enabling a tie and not a Cubs win but I will admit that you can’t figure everything would have been the same if one play had changed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 267 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.