St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I suspected yesterday and hinted in the notes, Elledge and Kaminsky throwing was their goodbye. Thompson threw earlier and those three were not coincidentally the extra camp additions made last week.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Is there a box score of tonight’s game?

Participant

Paid - Annual

For those asking about Gallegos and Reyes, Mo was asked about the two on KMOX tonight:

Gallegos remains in Mexico. Hopes he will be back in the U.S. soon, but no guarantees.

Simply said Reyes “is still not where he needs to be.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez looked very erratic!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Any predictions who the 3 taxi squad members will be? Maybe players that aren’t high prospects and don’t need reps. ALso, does service time go to a taxi squad member, even if they don’t play in a game? I am assuming so.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Austin Dean has been called “Dino” his entire life so number 0 ties it all in. Had asked what single digit numbers are left. Asked for 5 and realized it was Albert’s. Doesn’t care if there is any backlash from 0.

On the offense. Not everyone got to see live pitching during break. He faced minor leaguers once per week. They are game-ready.

30 vs. 26 roster gives him really good opportunity to show what he has. Not messing around. Not going to back down. Competing our butts off.

Kim causes tough at-bat. Deceptive delivery, jump in his fastball, good breaking pitches.

On playing 1B. Being versatile. Got opportunity last year with Miami. May not get a lot of looks there but taking extra work after practice to show he is ready.

Adam Wainwright did not want to disclose why he pitched only three innings tonight. Said to ask Shildt, but it is not anything bad.

Not a fan of piped in noise. Called it white noise Wednesday when not pitching, but did not notice it tonight. It won’t affect him.

On extra inning rule, don’t know yet. Generally he feels they do not need to change baseball. Cited example of a scoreless game against a Scherzer or Kershaw going into extras and lose on a bloop single. Would not want meaningful game to end that way. Could change mind later though.

On replacement umps for those who opt out. A lot of young umps at Triple-A just like players hungry for opportunities.

Pitching staff is very gifted. Don’t know how they will decide on five starters. Ponce, Oviedo and Thompson are future stars. Young guys are special talents.

On KK. Talented. Not scared. Is a pitcher. Changes speeds well. Good athlete. Great addition to team.
    Has long stride so gets way down hill. Throws four pitches for strikes and is great athlete = good formula.

KK said he was shaky the first few innings last times so pitched today as if it was a regular season game.

Best pitch is his slider. Keeps his ability to change speeds with it in mind while pitching.

Long wait before his final inning is something he experienced in Korea. All starters have to adjust to ie. But walking first hitter was not really good. Maddux told him to practice attacking batters with first pitch strikes.

Best case scenario is that he is a starter. But most important is team winning. If they want him as reliever, he should be ready.

Likes pitching in heat more than cool. Takes more time to get ready in cooler weather. His birthday is in the summer, so maybe that is a reason why…

With runner on second in his final inning, his first experience with that. Never in Korea. Team was winning by five runs so he felt mentally comfortable. Not that challenging.

Mike Shildt said Waino had a short night to start him again in four days (next Monday) to line him up to start Game 2 of the regular season. He has been pitching 4-5 innings/65-70-75 pitches for a month now. Built up for a long time. Most of all starters.

Glad there was a question about Dean. Had meant to bring him up before. Done a nice job, really has. Taking good ABs. Playing solid defense. Put himself in conversation. BUT O’Neill and Bader both taking good at-bats and looking pretty darned good. More status quo. Others are playing well, too.

Realize they have to score runs. Defense and positioning has been good, except for 10th inning. Throw into center field and tough hop to Tommy (Edman at 3B, error), can’t give up free passes. Crooked number inning has walk or error 76% of time. Won’t see that in regular season

Looked at chase rate at end of Spring Training. Would have been best in MLB in 2019 at that rate. Now same thing. Chase rate at about 26%, which would have been in top 3 last season. Almost everyone is improving, which is a good sign. Focus on the process. But if chase rate was in the mid-30’s, I’d say something needs to be done.

Don’t count on Kim in top 5. Dak won 16 games last year. Miles and Carlos throwing tomorrow night, but not for the rotation. Miles effective two years, one year removed from 18 wins. Carlos is 2x all-star, dedicated, deserves to start.

Shook up lineups to give different looks, get balance.

Don’t read anything into Thomas not playing in left. He can play all three. Dean is more of a corner and Williams is mostly right.

Brad Miller is still day to day with heel.

On managing in extras, it depends on several factors. Home or away. Where are they in lineup? Bunt or hit? Might walk to set up DP. If home, who are you moving runner over for?

Dexter volunteered to be the extra runner in 10th inning.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Camp day 13 – Thursday 7/16

Blue/Visitor 3-2-0 (two extra runs given in 10th not in box score)
    Red/Home 0-1-2

Visitors
    Singles – Wieters, Dean
    Walks – Carpenter, Wieters, Schrock, Sosa
    Runs – Fowler, Carlson, Schrock
    RBI – Carpenter, Fowler
    GIDP – Carlson
    Ks – Williams, Goldy, Dean, Sosa

Home
    Bader – single, GIDP
    Walks – Molina, Knizner
    K’s – Edman, O’Neill, DeJong, Thomas (2)
    Errors – Fernandez, Edman

Vistors
    Kim 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R/ER, 2 BB 5 K, 69 pitches/42 strikes

Home
    Waino 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R/ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 42/27
    A Miller 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R/ER, 1 BB, 2 K 19/13
    Fernandez 1/3 IP, 0 H, 3 R/1 ER, 4 BB, 0 K, 29/10

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

1) Any predictions who the 3 taxi squad members will be? Maybe players that aren’t high prospects and don’t need reps.

2) ALso, does service time go to a taxi squad member, even if they don’t play in a game? I am assuming so.

1) My guess. Godoy (until roster down to 26, then perhaps Knizner) and two MLB-ready pitchers. (Remember the three can be changed every road trip if desired.)

2) No service time to taxi squadders unless activated.

Participant

Free

Is there a game tonight?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pitchers were kind of hidden in Shildt’s comments above, so here it is again. On Cardinals.com like last night.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I just tuned into the live stream for the first time. DeJong made a very nice play deep in the hole to get Dean in the top of the first. The “fans” loved it and made some big noise. Ravelo just drew a walk off CMart and received a nice round of applause for that. Gotta love it!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I think the biggest reason that Ravelo doesn’t play 3B anymore is his arm. The throws I’ve watched him make tonight are not very good.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Maybe it’s been said and I missed it, but it looks like Cecil has lost a few lbs.

Participant

Free

Tyler Webb is a lot better than some give him credit.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim sure looks like he ought to be in the starting 5. SO far MO and SHildt seems against using 6 starters. Or would piggybacking be possible with 2 of the starters? Also, I never thought how valuable the taxi squad could be. If say, PDL or Gomber are needed for 2 or 3 innings one game, they can be put on the taxi squad the next couple of games. That way the pitching staff can be kept fresh.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

After being cut loose by a couple other teams, I’d say Webb has been a pleasant surprise. Hope he keeps it going.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Matt Carpenter said the HR was nice, but way happier about staying on the pitch he drove into the gap.

There is definitely a technique to DH. Not a lot of opportunity with it prior. More than willing to do it. Today was a start to figure out his routine.

Today was the potential for the Opening Day lineup. Ideally all would play every day and they would win the World Series, but it won’t happen that way. Open to staying in DH role.

DH will help the lineup. Cited example of Bader on first and he scores on a Wong double when a pitcher on base couldn’t do that. Also gives he and Tommy the opportunity to play at the same time. Offense will be more rounded, but same for all teams in the league.

On HR, Miles on 2-0 pitch after walking Paul. He knew the percent chance I would hit a HR. I won that one today, I guess.

Excited. Weird without Opening Day festivities, but we are super-prepared. Coaches did great on plans. We are as ready as any team in baseball.

This season requires adjustments every moment of the day. Schedule is different. I think it will be fun.

Brad Miller says right ankle/heel flared up on him. Never happened before. 5-6-7 days now. Trainers have a handle on it, taming inflammation. Staying off it for really dynamic running.

Have still been hitting and throwing every day. Also light running. Once he gets go ahead, he can ramp up pretty quickly.

Joked that he talked to Carpenter before home run to get him going. If you know me, I talk a lot. I hope I didn’t annoy him on the bench.

Loves practicing in stadium. Getting backdrops down, how balls play. Parents both from Midwest.

Mike Shildt says Carp is best when both table setter and run producer. Don’t think of role tied to spot in lineup. More dependent on situation. Understands situations. Changes pitch to pitch. Awareness, clear approach. Can hit anywhere in lineup.

Said his lineup tonight was a DH lineup. It is a look we wanted to see. It was a nice look for us tonight.

Gallegos is en route to St. Louis. A few hurdles yet, but hope he will be at Saturday workout.

Reyes and Cabrera are both getting closer to camp. A day or two away, they hope. Won’t rush them to rush them. When season opens they are playing competitive games. Don’t build up guys in the big leagues. But did say it is possible a guy could start the season not built up completely.

Gallegos is not considered the incumbent closer. Not fair to him. Not reasonable to expect.

Carlos battled as he went. Ball moved a lot. Not a lot of good swings on him. Ball had late movement. Balls on ground. Picked up pace last inning.

Miles lead off walk and then HR got him. Threw strikes, good tempo. Effective.

Knizner made a couple of nice throws.

Hels was best we have seen him. Live heater, secondary pitches good.

Cecil escaped his own trouble.

Webby good as well. Up and out. Good job again.

In no. 2 spot, wants guy who can do damage, OBP and OPS important. Also like guys who can run.

Getting time to set rotation, roles, lineups. Have had some and will have more role conversations in next couple of days. Evaluations here are in a short period of time, but also taking into account what they knew coming in. Rotation will be 5 guys so need to tell them so they can get their heads into it.

Saturday is live BP only. Will play seven innings Sunday, nine on Tuesday and nine again on Wednesday vs. KC. Latter game will be played straight up like a regular season game.

Repeated that plan is to keep position players together and still need innings, so no roster cuts expected until closer to the exhibition game.

Brad Miller has 8 ABs so far. Had 17 PAs in spring. Will see if he can be ready. Have others who have played well in Sosa and Schrock. Too soon to decide. Won’t rush it – don’t want setback.

Carlson is just a good baseball player. Can put in CF or RF. Pays attention to counts and situations. Made two good plays tonight, ones he is expected to make, but took right reads and angles. Doing what he is capable of doing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Ravelo’s throws were strong enough, just not as accurate as they need to be. Wouldn’t that be something if Ravelo’s bat turned out to be so good that Shldt had to play him at 3B as much as possible!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Friday 7/17

Visitor/Blue 1-4-1
    Home/Red 2-2-0

Blue
    Schrock 1-3
    Ravelo 1-2, BB, K, error
    Nogowski 2-2, RBI
    Knizner 0-3, K, threw out 2 runners
    Williams 0-2, BB, run
    Carlson 0-2, BB
    Wieters 0-2, BB, GIDP
    Sosa 0-1, BB

Red
    Wong 0-3, K, caught stealing
    Edman 0-3, K
    DeJong 0-1, BB
    Carpenter 1-2, HR (398 ft), 2 RBI, run
    O’Neill 1-2, caught stealing
    Bader, Fowler 0-2, K

Blue pitching
    Mikolas 5 IP, 2 H, 2 R/ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 60 pit/33 strikes
    Webb 1 IP, 2 K 15/9

Red pitching
    Martinez 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 57/32
    Gant 1 IP, 1 H, 6/4
    Cecil 1 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, wild pitch, 34/18
    Helsley 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K, 13/6

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years