St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Your posters didn’t create this issue; the team did. I find it interesting that you are so quick to send us packing after we supported your dreams financially, intellectually, and passionately for years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Disagreeing with Flaherty or the Cardinals or MLB is one thing. Injecting personal opinions about racism and Marxism is another, as is labeling one side or another as the “truth”. I do not want those arguments here, no matter what side you are on.

Participant

Free

I might have missed this, but are they planning to have Molina, Wieters and Knizner to start the season? I like that for a lot of reasons.

Let’s lay off the Cardinals succumbing to CNN, ABC, etc. I’ve already vowed to not watch the NBA this year, don’t want to get persuaded into doing the same for MLB!

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I love your site and the tone you demand. I don’t want Cards talk either. BLM is rooted in Marxism. This is a fact. The idea that the Cardinals choose this move deserves discussion. The role of moderator has never been more important. The idea of silencing dissent and a refusal to tolerate diverse opinions has never seemed more objectionable. It pains me to have this conversation with you.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CFICT asked:

are they planning to have Molina, Wieters and Knizner to start the season?

It looks like it, but the roster won’t be announced until after the game.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I, for one, enjoy coming to this site to get away from politics. I applaud Brian for attempting to stamp it out. This isn’t Fox, CNN, or MSNBC. Let’s keep it that way.

As for three catchers, it certainly makes sense to carry all three, at least until the roster size decreases.

Participant

Free

Weiters had some pretty big hits last year, the overall numbers might not support it as a “good season”, but add in the power potential and switch hitting (LH option) and having him free to go in at anytime could be a huge benefit. Then they still have Knizner as the backup and Weiters as more of a PH bat. Just a random thought.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Danny Mac mentioned that Mikolas is throwing almost no fastballs. I think this is a statcast error as all of Mikolas’ pitches 90+ mph are being classified as curveballs. Supposedly they are using a new ‘hawkeye’ system for statcast this year instead of the old trackman system.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bc,
    I wouldn’t call WHIP worthless, as you did, but it has only one limited duty. It answers at what rate did runner(s) reach base per inning. That’s it. So if that is all you want to know… but wouldn’t everyone like to know more.

WHIP’s flaw should be obvious. It doesn’t know the difference between a walk and home run. Someone got on…. end of WHIP’s story.

I prefer more, but if you just need to know someone got on….. it’s perfect for you.

pitcher A: 3 BB’s, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 6 IP
    pitcher B: 2 BB’s, 3 singles, 1 double, 6 IP
    same WHIP

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think we fail to appreciate Weiters’ value. Can the DH enter to play the field this year? It would seem Knizner has to be active if we use Weiters at DH.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Knizner should be active in the opening 30. Whether they can afford three catchers when they drop down to 28 or 26 is another question that will take time to answer.

P.S. The left-handedness part of Wieter’s advantage will be lessened when Brad Miller is ready.

Participant

Free

Nigel, good question about DH moving to the field if needed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t seen this posted yet on here, but appears Dean opened up enough eyes to make this happen:

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Can the DH enter to play the field this year?

I think the answer is yes, but then you lose the DH. In other words, the pitcher enters the batting order in the position of the player subbed out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tyler O’Neill put in a lot of work during the quarantine. Did not let workouts or diet slip.

Was good start to get a hit with the bases loaded. Now need to do it in regular season.

Their lineup is a little underrated. Thinks they will have a good year.

Having no baseball in Canada this year will not diminish baseball’s popularity there. More guys transitioning from hockey to ball. Jays have many loyal fans.

The more ABs he gets, the better his eyes are trained. Seeing the ball better leads to better ABs. Focusing on getting in position to hit earlier. 100% focus on the spin of the ball and placing the barrel where it needs to be.

Nice to face another team. Only so much you can get up by playing teammates.

It is super quiet in the outfield. Does not have to yell at Bader and Dex. So it will be better for them. Crowd noise a little awkward, and will take some getting used to. They are doing a good job.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Dean makes the team, I would guess it may be bad news for Sosa (taking Miller’s spot).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kim impressive fanning the side in the 9th. Cards win 6-3.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In response to a question, Carlos Martinez agreed that he hopes this is his last relief appearance this season.

The conversation with Shildt about making the rotation was easy. He has good communication with Shildt. He told me I could make it. I believed him and really focused on my job.

Tried to be strong with his body and forget about being injured last two seasons. Will keep going hard with workouts. Goal is to be healthy all season.

When he needs to “put gasoline,” he can do it. Can focus on strike zone to get outs. Feels like a veteran guy now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wed 7/22 Mike Shildt postgame

Mike Shildt could not have been more pleased with camp, mentally and physically ready. All put in the work.

Kim had good tempo. Multiple pitches for strikes. That is why he is in the spot he is in.

Liked Carlos’ pace today too. Attack. Defense plays better behind them. Carlos has learned to add and subtract with his pitches. Always had the pitches. Has been pro since 2013, but really has grown into being a pro. Not relying on talent. Has developed it. Special young man. No one said it would come easy for him. Demonstrated commitment in the last year. Always been a competitor – loves to compete. Now he keeps constant focus. In a good spot mentally and physically.

Offense had good at-bats, worked pitchers, took walks.

Mo will announce roster on Thursday. Still talking to guys.

More coming later…

Participant

Free

Btian I assume that Jack Flaherty wrote these words: “On kneeling, everyone has the right to do things their own way. OK if you do or not. Some people take it politically, that it is disgracing the flag and our soldiers. Have explained it is not that. Frustrating to continue to have these discussions.”

Jack is free to feel anyway he wants but the part where he says “….that it is disgracing the flag and our soldiers. Have explained it is not that.” He is saying what he thinks it is not but that is up to the reader or listener to decide not Jack. I will let it go with saying that in my view it is a disgrace but Jack has a right to his view. I only hope that FSM does not start broadcasting the national anthem this season. I have done a lot of homework on the organization in question. It would be well served for others to do so too in order to know what you are or are not supporting. They do have a website. End of story.

Participant

Free

I’ve already vowed to not watch the NBA this year, don’t want to get persuaded into doing the same for MLB!

Ditto and now NOOSECAR is in my rear view mirror after 52 years.

Participant

The Dexter problem is staring Mike right in the face. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Participant

jj – ERA and WHIP tell me a lot. I think I’ll stay with that. In addition, I add in hits given per 9 innings, strike outs per 9 innings, walks per 9 innings, and K/W ratio. That gives me a pretty good picture.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Dean doesn’t get to stay in the majors, they ought to see what Kansas City would offer for him. The Royals are in dire need of an outfielder.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

If Dean doesn’t get to stay in the majors, they ought to see what Kansas City would offer for him. The Royals are in dire need of an outfielder.

I respectfully disagree. Depth can be very important and the Cards are pretty thin at the OF position in the minors. Dean has minor league options and could be a contributor later in the season. You don’t trade away depth just because…

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years