Spring training 2019 games thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019 games thread

This topic contains 395 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 396 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like the 5th spot is Hudsons at the moment. With a pen of Miller, Hicks, Reyes, Gant, Brebbia, Leone. Webb, Mayers, Shreve, or Cecil, if healthy would vie for the last spot.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cards fall to 6-9-2 on the spring with a 5-0 loss at Disney on Tuesday.

Minor correction, Brian. The Cards are 7-9-2.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree. Gant only going one inning sure looks like a signal that Hudson is in line for the last rotation spot.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ravelo is getting ABs as DH in the ninth hole? Schrock continues to get playing time, as well as, Wieters. Pena’s status is in doubt but don’t rule him out just yet.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I thought Ravelo at DH was an odd choice, too. None of the projected 25 need at-bats?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards fall to the Marlins, 4-1, on Wednesday. St. Louis’ spring record is 7-10-2. The sputtering offense managed just three hits, yet the Cards were in the game until Mike Hauschild gave up a two-run homer in the eighth. Hudson walked three and needed 69 pitches in three innings. Hicks walked the bases loaded in the fourth but escaped.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Hudson walked three and needed 69 pitches in three innings.”

First walks of the spring. Allowed his first extra base hit, too. For the entirety of Spring Training, Hudson has now permitted an extraordinary slashline of .200/.273/.225.

To paraphrase the great Harry Mark Petrakis, anyone who thinks that John Gant should be in the rotation instead of Dakota Hudson is either drunk or they aren’t paying attention.

mspaid
    Participant

Of course Hudson should be in the rotation. It’s about options and contacts unfortunately.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With all due respect to the esteemed H.M. Petrakis, I have to side with MsPaid here. You know, this spring training jazz used to be fun, but not any more. I don’t know if it’s the tie ball games, all of the boring financial intricacies of the game, teams not caring if they win or lose… or what? But the regular season cannot commence soon enough. I actually find the off season winter months more stimulating than this.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Of course Hudson should be in the rotation. It’s about options and contacts unfortunately.”

“With all due respect to the esteemed H.M. Petrakis, I have to side with MsPaid here.”

Help me out here, gents. I guess I’m dumb or something.
    Someone, anyone, please, I’m begging you, explain to me why John Gant’s lack of options means he should have a leg up specifically as a Redbird STARTING pitcher, rather than reliever?

Gant needs to be on the MLB roster, absolutely. And he’s earned it, based on his solid 2018 — and of course there’s the lack of remaining options. So have him pitch out of the bullpen. Gant is your multi-inning man. Problem solved. Hudson in the rotation, Gant in the pen. Best starter starts, and the journeyman relieves.

In the last week I’ve read — about 117 different times, all over the internet — that John Gant will likely be the 5th starter due to his lack of options. Please, will someone explain to this baseball ignoramus why John Gant needs to start rather than relieve?

Thank you in advance for giving sight to this poor blind man.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Someone has to help me out. Who is saying that Gant has the edge over Hudson? I have yet to see anyone post that here or include a link to an article talking about this.

If you believe the happy talk from the team, Ponce de Leon and Gomber are also still in the running to start, but their chances of actually doing so for St. Louis out of camp are only slightly better than mine.

Personally, I gloss over the words and look at the manager’s actions. Gant pitched the ninth inning the other day and his next outing is going to be two innings in a minor league game, while Hudson is starting every fifth day. He is going multiple innings and doing well. What does that tell you?

P.S. All the contract/options grumbling is just noise, IMO. As Bob notes, both should be on the team and odds are they will be.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think maybe some are getting caught up in last year’s roles (with the big club) and assuming they will continue. You certainly can’t guess otherwise based on the spring usage.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Steering a boat by its wake probably won’t get you to where you want to go… There is a new skipper. I am for giving him a chance.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Leone might be sent down? He certainly has not impressed so far. That way you could have a bullpen of Brebbia, MIller, Hicks, Shreve, Mayers, Reyes and Gant. Next most likely to be sent down would be Brebbia due to options. And I really don’t care for sending a healthy Reyes down because if he is to pitch, he should do so in any role with big club. This assumes Cecil and Gregerson on the IL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am wondering why Ravelo hasn’t been put in the outfield? Is he not good defensively? He surely can’t be worse than JMart.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

P.S. All the contract/options grumbling is just noise, IMO. As Bob notes, both should be on the team and odds are they will be.

Well we will see about that. I think Shildt wants to do the right thing and have the best pitchers on the 25 man roster. Will the FO allow it to happen is the big question.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I noted in my article, “the best 25” is nothing more than a matter of opinion, which by definition is never going to be agreed upon by everyone.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt is on record saying he wants the best arms at the big league level. (Yes we can debate who that is)

Girsch is on record basically saying it is more complicated than that.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good pitching today, and it was nice to see Bader on base three times — and three steals!

Fowler meanwhile went 0-3 with a groundout, strikeout, and popout. Although I understand that Mike Shildt enthusiastically described the popout as a “perpendicular line drive.”

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar Bob Reed.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very appropriate mathematical reference on Pi Day. Nice job, Bob!

In game #20 on Thursday afternoon, the Cards and Mets tied 1-1. St. Louis is 7-10-3 on the spring. Munoz doubled and had the RBI. Jose Martinez tripled. Bader’s exploits are noted above. Wacha tossed five scoreless innings. The Mets run scored on a double against Mayers in one of his two innings of work.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

I wonder if Leone might be sent down? He certainly has not impressed so far…

Well, he hasn’t allowed a run yet this spring, including a 1-2-3 inning today. Five scoreless innings on four hits, two walks and two Ks. Opposing batting average against is .235.

What else does he need to do to keep his job?

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 396 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years