Spring training 2019 games thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019 games thread

This topic contains 396 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 376 through 397 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saturday’s lineup at the Nats vs. Stephen Strasburg:

1. Drew Robinson (L) SS
    2. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Matt Wieters (S) C
    6. Yairo Munoz (R) CF
    7. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    8. Max Schrock (L) 3B
    9. Miles Mikolas (R) P

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2 regulars and 2 semi regulars in the lineup, wow. I thought there would be more regulars wanting/needing AB’s since we are near the end of spring training.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wonder what should be read into the positiinons of some of the players. Munoz in CF and Robinson at SS. Is that because that is how Shildt sees them best utilized or is he trying to see how they look still? Edman at 2B and Shrock at 3B. Same type of question.

NJ315
    Participant

Not a good outing for Mikolas so far. But he did homer.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tyler O’Neill with 4 hits today, and none of them homers? Must have the flu.

Star of the day was Dakota Hudson, though. Bailed out Bambino Mikolas with 6 shutout innings. The Nationals lineup that rocked Miles for 5 XBH’s in 3 innings couldn’t managed a single extra base hit versus Hudson.

I’ll say it again. If Hudson can learn to elevate a 4-seamer just 10-12 times a game, and upgrade his command a bit, he can be something like the 2014-17 version of Jake Arrieta. That is, plenty of groundouts but strikeouts too, and 190 innings per year, 2.67 ERA, 3.04 FIP, 3.25 x-FIP. That’s the plausible Cy ceiling. Dakota’s stuff is that hard to square up.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Saturday’s 4-4 tie against the Nats, here is the lineup for the final FL game, against the Marlins. Note the return of Carpenter.

NJ315
    Participant

Goldy is locked in! 1-0 Cards

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Did he jack one?

NJ315
    Participant

Sure did! Flaherty was excellent. Fowler not looking good at all. Wong and Bader still looking for their swing. For the Marlins Gallen has looked great other than the homer by Goldy.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Evan Mendoza’s walkoff single creates a 2-1 win on Sunday. St. Louis ends its Florida games with a record of 12-15-4. Monday’s game will be in Memphis against the Redbirds.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Nice 2-1 win to end Training in Jupiter. Let’s see if the offense carries over north.

Webb looked good today. Let’s see if we’ll miss him 1-2 games to open the season.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kodi Whitley?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Did Montero make the Memphis team?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Ozuna blasts a 3 run homer off Waino.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Did Montero make the Memphis team?

To be determined. Opening Day is still 10 days away. Extra players are on this trip.

For subscribers, I posted my annual prediction of the opening Memphis roster. I opened a thread on the Member Forum to discuss.

Brian Walton’s Memphis Redbirds Opening Day Roster Prediction

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not sure if this game is a confidence booster for the offense or morale killer for Waino.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno. Wainwright is so incessantly positive that I doubt his morale can be killed.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

St. Louis defeats Memphis, 6-3 to close its spring exhibition season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Miller looked good last night which is a good sign after his concerning Florida performance.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

All 30 MLB teams have questions. In the area of starting pitching, the Cards are in a better place than the vast majority of them.

If I was to worry about anything regarding pitching, it would be the pen, but again, most of the guys getting bombed this spring are not the top contenders for jobs right now.

As I said earlier, there were a ton of questions regarding the pitching staff and those questions have gained lots of traction. I did, however, think Mikolas would be better than he has been. As it turns out its obvious the Cards are not in a better place than the vast majority of other teams.

Viewing 22 posts - 376 through 397 (of 397 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years