Spring training 2019 games thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019 games thread

This topic contains 396 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And Knizner belts a long 3 run homer to cap a 5 run inning. Woodford 3 up and 3 down for an 8-5 win. Good day for the youngsters.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And that makes an 8-12-3 record for St. Louis on the spring.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“And that makes an 8-12-3 record for St. Louis on the spring.”

Well, I said back in January that I’d be happy if the Cards just posted a better record than the Red Sox in 2019. So far, so good!

Seriously though, it was a whale of a nice rally, scoring all 5 ninth-inning runs after two were out. Great two-strike approach exhibited by both Max Schrock and Elehuris Montero to keep the line moving.

One thing. With Urias, Edman, Edmundo, and Schrock, something’s gotta give. Not nearly enough regular playing time in Triple-A for the entire middle infield quartet, especially once Drew Robinson is sent down, and moreover if/when Evan Mendoza arrives at Memphis to play 3rd base. (They can’t possibly take Robinson north over Munoz, right? Not when Munoz is the one with an actual MLB track record of batting success, and he’s outhitting Robinson by 200 OPS points this spring, and he’s years younger than the erstwhile Ranger.)

This team needs relief pitching so badly, and it has upper minors middle infielders (and outfielders) coming out of its ears. There must be a trade to make, somehow, for an honest-to-goodness bullpen arm. Get it done, Mo!

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing. With Urias, Edman, Edmundo, and Schrock, something’s gotta give. Not nearly enough regular playing time in Triple-A for the entire middle infield quartet, especially once Drew Robinson is sent down, and moreover if/when Evan Mendoza arrives at Memphis to play 3rd base. (They can’t possibly take Robinson north over Munoz, right? Not when Munoz is the one with an actual MLB track record of batting success, and he’s outhitting Robinson by 200 OPS points this spring, and he’s years younger than the erstwhile Ranger.)

This team needs relief pitching so badly, and it has upper minors middle infielders (and outfielders) coming out of its ears. There must be a trade to make, somehow, for an honest-to-goodness bullpen arm. Get it done, Mo!

You know, I’ve been thinking about the middle infield logjam at Memphis, too. I thought they might try another trade like the Mercado trade to see if they could find another Jhon Torres who plays shortstop. But I would actually prefer your idea if it got them a lefty reliever who is actually good because outside of Miller we have none currently. Maybe with more development at Memphis, Cabrera becomes that guy but he had an awful spring training thus far and doesn’t appear close to being ready.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Todays lineup:
    RF- Fowler
    1B- Goldschmidt
    SS- Dejong
    LF- Ozuna
    C- MOlina
    2B- WOng
    3B- Robinson
    CF- Bader
    P- Gant

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not nuts about Goldschmidt hitting 2nd. He is the best hitter on the team and should hit 3rd or 4th. More protection for others that way. Also in favor of having Fowler, if playing, hitting 8th.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob, I agree that the bullpen is the area that potentially needs the most help. Jager proposed a trade the other day of Gyroko and another piece or two (Ponce, etc…) for Giles of Toronto. I think that would be a nice move. Of course Kimbrel is still sitting out there. I still think he make sense for the Cardinals if they could get him on a one or two year deal. They may be gun shy because of the Holland debacle last year but Kimbrel is no Holland.

On the other hand this organization could stack up a scary bullpen lineup internally if they chose too. Cecil and Gregerson should never see the mound IMO and I am skeptical about Shreve, Leone, and Mayers. However, if we went with Hicks, Miller, Reyes, CMart (when healthy), Brebbia, Gant, and Webb I think that could be a very good pen. That still leaves a rotation of Mikolas, Flaherty, Wacha, Waino, and Hudson with Gomber, Ponce (if not traded), and Woodford as backup starters waiting in Memphis. Helsley and Cabrera could also be in the St. Louis pen at some point in the year.

C27, I concur about Goldy. He should bat third in the lineup 162 times this year.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This Trevor Richards kid looks good. And he played for Grizzlies in our neck of the woods before signing with the Marlins. He is having a strong spring.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

How embarrassing is it to be no-hit during Spring Training?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Embarrassing enough Fowler, Goldy and DeJong played the entire game so they could all have at-bats in the 9th.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wonder if Albert is starting to feel the heat for the Cards lack of offense?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards fell 4-2 to the Mets on Sunday. Their spring record is 8-13-3.

NJ315
    Participant

Some ugly OPS numbers. Good thing this is only dress rehearsal.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of minor leaguers, Nick Plummer and Bryce Denton hit back to back homers yesterday. You’ll see a much more aggressive Plummer this spring. Good to see!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Junior Fernandez!

Great to see him get a shot with big league team even if it is just one ST game
    All it takes is one good game this ST it seems for anyone to gain buzz with how boring and uneventful the results have been

If Junior goes out there and dominates he might get a fasttrack

He has always seemed to have the stuff, i just wonder if he has put it all together

So…i am pretty patient in general but definitely ranted a bit last week about the lack of offense

Regardless of my personal concerns…the org seems to be outwardly telling us not to be concerned, over and over…maybe at the prompt of the media, but definitely they all seem prepped for it…

So, if we are not supposed to be concerned now, when are we supposed to be concerned? 1 month into the season 2? AS break?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is way past time for Plummer to come to life. He turns 23 this year and still hasn’t advanced past Peoria. Maybe he will be an extremely late bloomer.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’ve had some late-bloomers, JoMartinez-Pham and of course, Ludwick. There’s a slim chance Plummer explodes this year. His on-base avg. might help him a ton. He walks so much but doesn’t steal enough bases. He has been a comeback player of the year candidate every year since ’15. If he wasn’t a 1st rounder he’d be selling cars by now. C’mon Nick show us that potential.
    ps. he didn’t make the Community’s top 100 last November. Another forgotten man ala Tewes.

NJ315
    Participant

O’Neill hits #5

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another error for Munoz….and another strikeout for Robinson.

NJ315
    Participant

Goldy homers!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards finished off a 4-1 win as Hicks allowed a run in the ninth but fanned the final batter. Hudson dominated with five scoreless with eight strikeouts. O’Neill and Goldschmidt homered. St. Louis’ spring record is now 9-12-3.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It always seemed like Hudson has the stuff to be a strikeout pitcher, but this spring he seems to have more swing and miss stuff to go with a lot of ground ball outs.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish I had seen the game today. Are there replays on Fox Sports Midwest?

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Was there. Hudson was very impressive. And Reyes looked good in his one inning. Flaherty, Reyes, and Hudson some day at the top of the rotation?

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 397 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years