Resumption of spring training/regular season/playoff format

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Resumption of spring training/regular season/playoff format

Viewing 21 posts - 251 through 271 (of 271 total)
  • Author
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

In the second Cooper tweet above, Manfred talked about comparing ideas with the other sports leagues. At least baseball is more naturally socially distancing for the players compared to football, hockey, basketball, etc.

I play and follow tennis closely, which is an ideal social distancing sport. Tennis had its first mini-event last week in Florida where four fairly high ranked players competed. It kind of served as a test case for moving ahead. They competed without line judges and ball boys/girls, using just the chair umpire to oversee the match. Players called their own lines.

Manfred also mentioned the possibility of considering how rules could be modified to help the situation. Perhaps Matt Carpenter could suggest they ban the shift since it forces infielders to bunch together too closely.

Participant

Free

Here is an article on Fox News this morning about MLB and the players feelings on the 50/50 split. Read the comments below the article as well and you will see how poorly baseball fared with this writing.
    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/players-ask-mlb-for-slew-of-financial-documents

Participant

Free

Another article on the debate between MLB and the union:
    https://tinyurl.com/yameayw7

Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro –
    Per the Department of Labor Statistics, postal workers are not considered federal employees. However they qualify for federal benefits and are required to follow federal guidelines. So the key question is whether federal guidelines today require federal workers to wear face masks when interfacing with the public. Can you find out?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trouble on the horizon…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lotsa details here…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

City by city details regarding how soon MLB might be allowed to begin play. Still many questions remain.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/05/16/coronavirus-mlb-team-outlook-home-games-baseball-stadiums/5200793002/

Participant

Free

Anybody taking bets on who and when will be first violation occur. I predict on the first day of spring training and practically everyday thereafter. No doubt many violations will not be reported. MLB has not filled in all the ‘what ifs’ yet.

On second thought maybe they should just try a virtual electronic baseball game to work out the bugs. I bet it would be easier to run a game that way. But you would need a lot of simulators which probably do not exist.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder how may players on NY teams (or road teams) are ready for this?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today on ESPN 101, Buster Olney predicted the two sides will come to a financial agreement but sees the season as a long shot. At best it will start but have to be truncated early due to a group of positive tests. He thinks it will be really hard for all the players to stay in the bubble.

https://www.101espn.com/show_notes/rivs-bk-may-18-2020-the-bulls-breaking-up-was-the-best-thing-for-their-legacy-24-team-nhl-playoffs-player-movement-galore-coming-in-mlb/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Having to cancel the post-season could be a worst-case scenario for owners. MLB can sell additional media rights for the new playoff games and always get significant revenue from the entire post-season. Scotty B’s hopes to play until Christmas got filed away with his other “good” ideas… 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

The idea of a 50-man roster with a 20-man taxi squad is intriguing, but with so many active players, they should find a way to bring more order to how the players are used. Maybe it would work to have two designated starting lineups with only one or two substitutions to each of those starting lineups allowed per week. Fans will have to get used to one or the other being on the field. The manager would be allowed to make as many substitutions as he felt were necessary while the game is being played, but only after the players in the designated starting lineup have played at least five innings. I would say, also, that for playoff games, the designated starting lineups would alternate with each other.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Brian, great article on ‘Avoiding Sympathy….’. Makes a lot of sense and lays out the difficulties that need to be faced if even one game is to be played. As you said, I am one who hopes to see a game this season but I would not be surprised if we didn’t. If we do not have a season then it is my fondest wish that all that noise about DH in the NL goes away for 2021. But if they manage to jam it in to something they call a season in 2020 it will be a permanent fixture. We do have some pitchers that can hit and it sure puts a lot more strategy in the game if the DH is not used but then we all know that huh?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you.

Participant

Free

This is the kind of mask Cards players should all have when the season starts (if it starts):

https://tinyurl.com/y8tlrhn3

Participant

Free

I just watched johm smoltz on tv doing an interview with cowherd. He had an idea of going forward next season of having split seasons like that year back in the 80s I believe when there was a midseason strike. I tend to be old school but I actually think it might be a great ideal. It sure a lot better to me than adding more wild card teams but it stil opens up more opportunities and could keep more fan bases tuned into the season and drive up attendance in a lot of cities that tend to struggle with attendance. id rather have winners facing off in the playoffs than teams that didn’t win anything. Im not sure what happened if a team won both splits, its been a while plus there was only two divisions in each league but those things can be worked out. I think it would be great. A lot better than things they keep proposing anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New odds courtesy of BetOnline (www.BetOnline.ag, Twitter: @betonline_ag).

Will there be an MLB regular season?
    Yes -500 (1/5)
    No +300 (3/1)

Participant

Free

Just imagine the insanity of getting anything correct with Newsome in Cali? 54 billion in debt.

Viewing 21 posts - 251 through 271 (of 271 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years