Resumption of spring training/regular season/playoff format

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Resumption of spring training/regular season/playoff format

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh good grief. Do we have to make this season an absolute clown show? Pick your opponents? Is Vince McMahon the commissioner now?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Better start holding your nose, gscottar…

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Just plain stupid! Let’s just have playoffs every year. Forget the regular season as it doesn’t mean a thing.

Participant

Free

No way we don’t make the playoffs now right? lol

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I said this before, and I will repeat it now. If you can’t play .500 ball over two months, you don’t deserve to be in the playoffs, anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As Rob Manfred was on ESPN explaining the new playoff format, this happened.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Better start holding your nose, gscottar…

Having 8 teams per league in the playoffs is one thing but choosing your opponent is beyond ridiculous. Have they scrapped that idea?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish they went back to the Championship Series and World Series. Then the pennant would be meaningful again.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

Having 8 teams per league in the playoffs is one thing but choosing your opponent is beyond ridiculous. Have they scrapped that idea?

Yes, that idea did not make it. Straight seeding.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My prediction for next up will be a 30-man roster all season…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This change is now official. The Cards hope they will be able to take advantage of this change on Sunday.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So we are back to an old discussion – how long is a credible season and does it matter that some teams play more games than others? Remember that while this will affect the Cardinals most, all of their canceled opponents will have fewer than 60 games also.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What do you think, folks? Would 52 games be enough for this to be a “credible” season? (and 58 for the Tigers and 57 each for the Cubs and Pirates)

Participant

Free

Nothing could make this joke credible. This idea to have some half— season was stupid. They should have closed it down and waited for February.

I hope the White Sox enjoy their weekend off coming up.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Compared to 60 games, having the Cards with 52 would be acceptable. Obviously it’s a big blow compared to the usual full season but it may be what we have to accept. You’d have to wonder how it would be looked at if a team played less than 60 games and just made the playoffs, then won the Series, though.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How about a bubble for the post-season? MLB’s top doctor is at least thinking about it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think a 52 game schedule would be legitimate considering what we have been through and are still going through. I would like for us to get closer to 55 though because I don’t want to listen to the whiny Cub fans when we make the playoffs while only playing 52 games.

As for the playoff bubble, absolutely MLB should do it. I think the entire season should have been in a bubble. I have to blame the MLBPA on that one. They resisted.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, does it matter that in this scenario, the Cubs would only be playing 57? Then the difference would be just five games.

On the regular season bubble hindsight, do you think all 30 teams would have been better off in Florida and Arizona right now, traveling between their respective spring training camps in the midst of some of the hardest-hit states? I really wonder about that…

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar, does it matter that in this scenario, the Cubs would only be playing 57? Then the difference would be just five games.

On the regular season bubble hindsight, do you think all 30 teams would have been better off in Florida and Arizona right now, traveling between their respective spring training camps in the midst of some of the hardest-hit states? I really wonder about that…

Even if it isn’t the Cub fans there will be someone complaining about our lack of 60. We just need to get as close as possible to that number.

I think the only way the bubble could work is if all 30 teams were in one city, kind of like what the NBA is doing in Florida right now. I understand that not all NBA teams are participating and their travel parties are smaller than MLB but I just have to believe that restricting the players to ballpark and hotel only would reduce the chance of transmission. I can’t prove it, just an opinion.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get your POV, but where is that place that could enable 30 teams to play 60 games each? In the 110-degree heat in Arizona?

There is a reason a bubble might have a chance in the playoffs. Only a few games are played concurrently. In the regular season, it just wasn’t practical, though.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After seven games, Heyman is projecting playoff participants. Is he doing it for any other reason than to stir people up?

Or is he just trying to undermine the winning percentage criteria chosen by MLB?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought he was commenting on the current standings, “Join Marlins in playoff position”, rather than projecting the final postseason participants.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My general take on Heyman is that the majority of his comments are very simplistic and knee-jerk. He seems to be incapable of complex thought. The only reason I follow him is that he is good at quickly putting forward detailed contract information and I use that in the payroll spreadsheets I keep.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It only makes too much sense to go to the bubble for the playoffs. There are no fans anyway and having a controlled environment should be useful in keeping any sort of outbreak from happening. Of course it might make for some weird game start times, but that was bound to happen anyway with the expanded playoffs.

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years