Resumption of spring training/regular season/playoff format

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Resumption of spring training/regular season/playoff format

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 268 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

BW, 2005 through 2007 were Adams pre-arb seasons.
    2008 – 2011 extension for 4/15mil, 78.8mil field value, total +63.8mil (+15.9mil AAV)
    same contract had opts picked up…..
    2012 & 2013 opts for 2/21mil, 71mil field value, total +50mil (+25mil AAV)
    2014 – 2018 for 5/97.5mil, 81.6mil field value, total -15.9mil, (-3.2 AAV)
    2019 for 1/7mil, 17.2mil field value, (+10.2 AAV)

arb years to date: 140.5mil paid for 248.6mil field value, totaling 108.1mil surplus value (+9mil AAV for 12 seasons)

The 2008-2011 contract is impressive to me because he didn’t throw a pitch in the 2011 championship season and still kept and AAV near 16mil during that contract.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am kind of surprised that there has not been more public sentiment like this. Maybe there is and I just have not seen it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree but it should not fall solely on the owners. I assume they have guaranteed contracts to pay.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Health officials are reportedly in support. The Arizona idea seems to be gaining momentum.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One snag I thought of was discussed in the article:

The logistics to pull off such a plan would be enormous and cumbersome on the league side and require the buy-in of players, who sources expect to be skeptical of separating from their families for an indefinite amount of time — perhaps as long as 4½ months, if the inability to stem the coronavirus outbreak keeps teams from playing in their home stadiums in 2020.

Still, there is hope among leadership on both sides that the combination of receiving paychecks for playing and baseball’s return offering a respite to a nation beset by the devastation of COVID-19 would convince players to agree to the plan, sources said.

Of course, that’s the reality that a lot of us are dealing with anyway, which isn’t to mention the idea that these guys are making many times more money to be in this situation than the rest of us. I’m intrigued by this plan and hope the logistics could be worked out. MLB would have a pretty unique position through the spring and summer for sports viewing.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

There’s some good stuff in this article but it also gets a bit political, so to save anyone who doesn’t want to read it here are the key notes the writer asks while saying its irresponsible to have a season in Arizona:

Passan describes a scenario in which players would be isolated for more than four months. Are they supposed to not see their families during all that time? How are they supposed to function under that scenario? Even worse, what if their family members get sick? What if one of their parents die? Is their season over or do they stay in Arizona?

No quarantine can be perfect, so there’s a non-trivial chance that despite these efforts someone gets sick. Passan mentioned that they would be removed from their teams and put into isolation. That may be fine for a physically fit 24 year-old, but many managers, coaches, trainers and clubhouse attendants are older and, as such, at far greater risk of complications if they get sick. Some players are too. Adam Duvall is Type 1 diabetic. Kenley Jansen just had heart surgery. Carlos Carrasco and Trey Mancini are cancer patients. What about them?

If players are quarantined in hotels or resorts, there are hundreds if not thousands of people cooking for them, cleaning for them, doing the laundry and stuff like that. They all have to be isolated too, no? Just as a virus propagates itself exponentially, so to does the support necessary to put on Major League Baseball games, even in these radically different circumstances.

Baseball in Arizona as early as May is pure madness

Participant

Free

Jeff Jones lists a thread of reasons on why a season in Arizona doesn’t seem feasible:

(click on the tweet to view the entire thread)

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To play devil’s advocate, our military personnel spend months or years separated from their families all the time for a whole lot less than millions of dollars per year. Could the players suck it up for a few months while amped up testing goes on to allow for some games to distract people from this situation? I would hope so.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB felt the need to issue a press release to slow down the rumor mill. They say no approvals have been asked for or received.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Random question far down the priority list. If MLB plays all games in the Phoenix area, how much of a competitive advantage might the 15 Arizona teams have over the 15 teams imported from Florida if the former play in their spring training home parks with access to their own facilities?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Random question far down the priority list. If MLB plays all games in the Phoenix area, how much of a competitive advantage might the 15 Arizona teams have over the 15 teams imported from Florida if the former play in their spring training home parks with access to their own facilities?

I hadn’t thought so much about that, but it’s a fair point. It would be a sort of home field advantage.

Another random and low priority thought…would they be using humidors to slow down the ball at the higher altitude?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would assume all games would have to be played at night. It can get up to 115 degrees in Phoenix during June, July, and August. Dry heat or not that is still hot. I have been there in late June. Not pleasant.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Huge point, gscottar. AZ does not follow Daylight Saving Time. So a 7 pm start in Phoenix (needed to avoid the heat) would be a 10 pm start in the most important (to MLB) media markets on the East Coast. Not what they want for the entire (shortened) season in both leagues.

At best, they could have one day game daily, under the roof at Chase Field.

Can’t do it in Florida. Spring camps are too spread out, making it unfeasible, even if the virus was not more prevalent there.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Either Passan misrepresented the Arizona plan’s backing by health officials or MLB is not being totally honest about how far this plan is really along.

Passan on Monday: “Federal officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the National Institutes of Health have been supportive of a plan that would adhere to strict isolation, promote social distancing and allow MLB to become the first professional sport to return.”

MLB on Tuesday: “…we have not sought or received approval of any plan from federal, state and local officials, or the Players Association.”

So which is it? Or is it both? Support, but not approval? Are they playing word games?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So which is it? Or is it both? Support, but not approval? Are they playing word games?

Most certainly it’s word games. No one wants to be the one who looks like the greedy one who just wants to “open things up” before anyone else, although no doubt everyone who can is studying it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Nightengale wrote an editorial blasting the proposal.

Participant

Free

Passan isn’t a hack and everything I’ve seen him put out has been carefully vetted. I’ve never seen put something out there that he hasn’t verified and I don’t think he would start now with something so massive.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fair enough. Then to continue the discussion, why did MLB move so swiftly and strongly to refute the report?

I guess it is about managing expectations. MLB wouldn’t be doing its job if it was not checking out every avenue. But some may not be thinking clearly about the probability of this proposal actually being able to fly. Hence the press release to balance perception out a bit.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is only a columnist from the Arizona Republic (like BenFred or Hochman), but if this is anything close to public opinion in the state, getting approval to play there could be difficult. NIMBY.

Participant

Free

personally I don’t like the idea of it. I understand that everyone wants their money but hey I want mine too. I just got laid off. I still say wait and see. Maybe they can get some exhibition type games in june, start the season in july. And stop all this notion of trying to do tons of double headers and all that stuff. if you can start july1, you can get in a half seasons worth of games easy, then do your playoffs. if you cant start by july1 and I mean everyone at their own parks, then call it a day. I mean if they can do it before, then its all good. But not if they are playing games in Arizona with empty stands. Just no.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You touch on another interesting point. In this Arizona scenario, once they change the schedule to open play there, could they ever transition back to the real home cities in August or September, for example? My gut says once they head to Arizona, that would be it for a traditional season.

Participant

Free

The earliest write up for the whole Arizona plan was for teams to start in Arizona and then possibly transition to their home cities but clearly it’s a lot worse in some places than others. So maybe they don’t think it’s fair that a few teams wouldn’t be able to return home or the risks are too great at this point.

I’m sure MLB has kicked the tires on this but they don’t want egg on their faces if it backfires and players get sick. Also the players I’m sure want some emergency plan in place if something happens on the home front. Death, birth, accident ect..

I think they want to wait and see the next couple of weeks. A major sports organization is planning to have it’s sports go on as planned or April 19th. Although on a smaller scale UFC will go on with an event on April 19th with no fans in a currently undisclosed location. I do believe it’s a 12 fight card. While not on a larger scaale of moving 30 mlb teams. You’ve still got to make sure everyone involved is as safe as possible. So say it’s on a scale of 1 mlb team. This could be the Guinea pig mlb might look at as a model.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Arizona idea has some merit but could you actually imagine a world series game with no fans in the stands? That would be the most anti-climatic scene ever.

One positive of the Arizona plan would be it would be very easy to hear the trash cans during Astro games.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this take is spot on. While the idea has some merit there are probably way too many obstacles for it to actually happen.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 268 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years