Restructuring MiLB

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Restructuring MiLB

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 428 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Was pretty clear all along that MLB will work with the owners of the teams they are keeping.

Participant

This is just another cursed event from the year 2020. This year has been one nightmare after another.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is surprising. Gebhard was a wealth of knowledge. Bourjos has been a scout a long time, but just joined the Cardinals in 2019.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When will MLB be making the official announcement on the 2021 milb structure? After the World Series?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, probably not until after the elections.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of off topic but here in NW Ark the NW Arkansas Naturals, AA affiliate of the Royals, announced today that they will be hosting the Royals in an exhibition game on March 29, 2021.

This is encouraging news because it signals, as of now, that MLB plans to start spring training on time and play a full minor league schedule in 2021. At least as of now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just answered a question on Facebook about this. They have to find some way to play minor league ball in 2021. A second year without player development would be devastating as would a second year with no revenue for minor league team owners.

Not just related to this, but to the entire organization, DeWitt III says they are building three financial models for 2021 – back to normal, partial capacity and worst case. The problem coming into this winter is they don’t know which model to follow.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not just related to this, but to the entire organization, DeWitt III says they are building three financial models for 2021 – back to normal, partial capacity and worst case. The problem coming into this winter is they don’t know which model to follow.

That is true which is why we might see a very tepid off season by all teams until they get more clarification from the health experts on what to expect in 2021. The winter meetings will probably be a snooze fest, which they have been the last couple of years anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We have also used this thread to talk about the broader cuts going on across the game. The Athletic is running a piece looking at the potential impact of the layoffs – especially in areas like scouting.

The broad theme is an internal conflict within teams between the business side and the baseball side regarding investment and expense.

This of course is part of what is behind the reduction of 42 minor league teams…

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1320725577184235520

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If I owned the State College Spikes, I would be really upset.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yikes. I remember when my local team was in the NY Penn League. That league is gonna be a ghost town unless there’s a great incentive for juniors to stay in school. Which I can’t imagine will happen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More details about proposed facility upgrade requirements.

I found one particular comment most interesting. A team official wondered if his team could opt out of the 120 keepers if the facility upgrade expense is too high for them to handle. I bet that MLB would love it.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/upgrades-required-mlb-proposes-stricter-minor-league-facility-standards/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting article. I am pleased that the switch between the Midwest League and FSL still appears to be a go. That is good news for Peoria and it makes much more sense to have the GCL and FSL teams only one level apart.

I also found it interesting that San Antonio and Wichita may be coming back to the Texas League.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first shoe to drop is really interesting. The Yankees are hooking up with a current indy team and the NYPL affiliate of the Rays. The owner of Staten Island, one of the losers, is already threatening legal action. The lawyers will be the only winners.

Speculation is that the rest of the moves across the game may be out in the next two weeks as 160 teams drop to 120.

Participant

Having the Yankees affiliate in Hudson Valley will certainly help the attendance there. That might become a tough ticket. Does that put State College in play for the Card’s system?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, I do not see a parallel. Hudson Valley is less than 90 minutes from Yankee Stadium. State College is not close to anything other than Pittsburgh, and even that is 2 1/2 hours away. Those two used to be affiliated, but the respective team owners had a falling out. The bigger question for me is what league State College would be in even if they reunite with the Pirates. MLB is trying to cut travel, which hurts SC badly.

For the Cardinals, if they kept State College, they would almost certainly have to dump Peoria, which is far more convenient geographically. I can’t see them making that tradeoff, even if there was a nearby league somehow for SC to play in.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like declare time for State College’s future is today. Their Option B, if there is one, is not clear, though it could be independent ball.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well the restructuring isn’t 100% settled but it appears it’s probably going to look like this:

AAA – Two leagues: one in the eastern half (International) and one in the western half (Pacific Coast)
    AA – Three leagues: one in the central (Texas), one in the south (Southern), and one in the east (Eastern).
    A+ – Three leagues: one in the midwest (Midwest – moved from Class A), one in the northwest (Northwest – moved from Class A Short-season), and one in the mid-Atlantic region (Mid-Atlantic – new league made up of teams from northeast and Carolinas)
    A – Three league: one in California (California League – moved from High Class A), one in Florida (Florida State – moved from High Class A), and one in the southeast (new league combined of Carolina and South Atlantic leagues)
    R – Three leagues: one in Florida (Gulf Coast), one in Arizona, and one international (Dominican Summer)

Pioneer League will be a MLB partner league along with the Frontier, Atlantic and American Association leagues.

Appalachian League agreed to operate as a summer amateur wood-bat league for rising college freshmen and sophomores in conjunction with USA Baseball.

Some New York-Penn League teams will be part of the MLB Draft League, operated in conjunction with Prep Baseball Report. The league will be for college seniors to play and be scouted in advance of the July draft each year, with college juniors being encouraged to play in the Cape Cod League.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Source:

Participant

Paid - Annual

A real dilemma for Fresno. Accept demotion to Class A or get nothing.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or sue MLB for cratering the value of their franchise, which is going to take a big hit either way. I predict the lawyers are going to get really busy in 20 or 30 towns across the US.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 428 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years