Restructuring MiLB

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Restructuring MiLB

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 484 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

State College got literally the shortest end of the stick possible. Luckily, the team plays in Penn State’s college stadium so upkeep shouldn’t cost the owner much. Still, it’s a gut punch for central PA baseball fans.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The formal announcement from MLB:

14NyquisT
    Participant

My question is…. how will players be dispersed?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Assuming you are asking about the Cardinals players on the rosters of the two teams eliminated – nothing fancy or complicated is ahead. The best ones will be promoted and the others released – but the Cardinals can delay as long as June, when extended spring training ends and the GCL would begin (assuming a “normal” 2021). Remember that players are not paid salaries during ST and EST. The Roster Matrix currently shows the State College and Johnson City rosters with a total of 33 players, but there are some upline openings to be filled later.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

They Cardinals have 28 guys on DSL Blue and 29 guys on DSL Red with another 30 guys that they signed in the international signing period. And now they’re eliminating 2 teams. This just seems idiotic driven by greed. I can’t wait to see how many David Peralta’s they end up losing because they won’t have time for guys to develop.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC, won’t everyone be in that boat, though? So perhaps the David Peraltas will be working outside MLB when teams drop them too quickly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have predicted all along that when the smoke clears from the two teams cut, the Cardinals will quietly add a second GCL team – but maybe not until June. Just don’t call it Johnson City South! 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When everyone knows the end is near…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So sad seeing Johnson City like this. 50+ years of MiLB history flushed down the drain.

On another note, the State College Spikes look like they have accepted MLB’s proposal to be one of the teams in the new MLB Draft League.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

BA is reporting that MLB will limit teams to a 180-players domestically. This would allow teams to have 6 teams with two of them being complex teams. It would also allow teams to have 30-man rosters for every team in their system. There is also an unconfirmed report that MLB teams would be able to loan players to independent partner league teams.

bccran
    Participant

Will the Cards still have 2 teams in the DSL?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MLB has a limit of 2 DSL teams.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Full season teams have 25-man rosters and short-season clubs have 35 max, but the latter are not typically full. So 4 x 25 plus 2 x 30 would equal 160. Add in another 20 for injured players.

So with 180 limit would enable two short-season teams and six total.

As to a second DSL team continuing, organizations do not announce their intent to add or contract teams in advance. However, here are the numbers of players in the DSL right now, per the Roster Matrix.

Blue 29
    Red 29
    2020 signees 30

Seems pretty close to impossible to fit 88 players onto one 35-man roster. And promoting huge numbers to the GCL would only shift the problem. Further, the new international signing period opens next month.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As predicted. The first of many…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So some adjustments could be ahead…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I just read Brian’s summation of his interview with Mo and my biggest thought is this:

If Mo is adamant the Cardinals will only field one GCL team there are a ton of players who will need to be moved in order to make room for them at DSL. There are 28 players on DSL Blue and 29 players on DSL Red with an additional 30 international signings. Additionally, they are subtracting 70 roster spots with the elimination of State College and Johnson City. Moreover, the 2020 international signing period is set to begin in January. Where the hell are all of these guys supposed to play?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Well bhc I think you know what is going to happen. They will purge the minors to make room for some of these players. Bottom line is it’s a business and right now it’s not that good.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My translation: Even the teams on the inside of the 120 are going to feel some pain as MLB takes direct control…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Uhhh…that sounds very heavy handed. Nothing new, though, for MLB. No wonder Tacoma hasnt accepted yet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A very detailed and scathing assessment of MLB’s motives and actions concerning the minors…

14NyquisT
    Participant

deMause tells it like it is…. good read to educate yourself of the goings-on with this issue.

I read the many comments to se how some fans are with this shakedown.

Appreciate the summary. I know a lot was happening with this throughout the year, but it got lost amid pandemics and a delayed season etc. and I kinda stopped following.

I hate it. Figures it all starts with the Astros. ****the Astros.

Actually Luhnow was at the bottom of this…. rotten 3astard.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 484 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.