Restructuring MiLB

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Restructuring MiLB

Viewing 13 posts - 351 through 363 (of 363 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The high level minor league owners are cozying up to MLB while the head of MiLB is trying to hold onto his fiefdom. Pretty sure it is a losing battle with the minors split into the haves (upper level teams) and the have nots (lower levels plus MiLB HQ)…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No real news here, but it is a good recap of where matters are currently.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There will be many ex-MiLB ballparks falling into disrepair with crumbling structure and being overgrown with vines and weeds. Something like the earth without humans TV series. That just sad to think about.

Holding out in announcing the final list of keepers and losers until the last moment doesn’t seem fair but I guess it keeps the teams quiet until then, not wanting to lose favor.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Big news today in Minor League Baseball:

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

O’Conner is waving the white flag in an impossible quest to beat MLB. Minor League Baseball HQ will be no more.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking this morning about the minor leagues next year. At this point, a functional vaccine by next April may be a 50/50 proposition. Barring that, will there even be a 2021 minor league season? Losing two years of development may be the death knell for many prospects. Perhaps they would have their own bubble camps a couple of times next year? Would they just go forward like they did for the big leagues if no vaccine is available, knowing that testing and monitoring all their minor leaguers will be near impossible?

Seems like quite the conundrum, either way. That’s without adding in the acrimony that’s sure to result from the cutting of the 42 teams.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there will be a vaccine available before April, but even if not, I can’t imagine shutting the minors down for two years in a row. That would be catastrophic for player development. Since MLB is taking over the minors they should be able to implement the current protocols for the 120 milb teams, although it will be a logistical challenge.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is all related. Less revenue, fewer teams, fewer players, fewer staffers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder how many laid off people will get jobs in other industries and not come back.

Participant

Free

Wonder how many laid off people will get jobs in other industries and not come back

One wonders that about a lot of industries. Our local hospital system (they run several in small cities) laid off 700 doctors, nurses and technicians in late July and I thought that was unheard of but they were not overrun with Covid and were not allowed to do procedures that make them money (like several of my COPD tests). I thought the medical industry would be bulletproof. But I can now see that the sports industry will really suffer if the fan base is significantly reduced in the form of game attendance.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is going to hurt…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 13 posts - 351 through 363 (of 363 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years