Restructuring MiLB

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Restructuring MiLB

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

College baseball is proposing several changes. The biggest would be moving the season to warmer months. If this produces the revenue boost they expect it could lead to more scholarships, which in theory could impact the MLB draft and milb in general.

Participant

Free

I played college baseball at a southern school. We started in early March as I recall and our first month was usually games with northern schools needing to get their programs started. So we were well trained when our own conference began – won it two of the four years I was there. But if they are talking of going into the summer months there may be some problem with scheduling other teams who have graduated already.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am sure all of the schools would go past their commencement dates, as they do under the current system, but the athletes would be allowed to finish the season.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fans and cities got a preview of what 2021 will look like without MiLB.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

One group that I think will be hurt by contraction are Latin players. Will independent league teams have the resources and know how to help with visa issues? I think it will be much harder for Latin players to find independent league teams – could a Latin independent league be on the horizon?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with you on those potential issues. Also, there may not be bilingual coaches and a support network for the foreign players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All of that plus fewer minor league teams next year mean less staff is needed.

Participant

Free

Nice local video on the TV news about prep for the taxi squad at Hammonds Field in Springfield.
    https://tinyurl.com/ybzc5yd4
    There is another video just ahead or behind that one on the Show Me League games in Ozark, Mo. That is the collegiate wood bat league I posted about on another thread.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Throwing out my second GCL team for mass consideration…

Participant

Free

Brian, good job on that minor league shutdown impact. I admit that I am talking about something that I really know nothing about but I am for some reason sort of mesmerized about the US Baseball that is operating just outside Springfield in Ozark. These folks bought a stadium that had been empty 11 years for a reported 4 million dollars and then spent another million or two on putting down new turf and a huge digital scoreboard. That was a couple of years ago and I could never figure what they were doing but from time to time they had games in there. Now I see where Drury University in Springfield is calling that their home stadium. US Baseball this past winter built a huge metal and brick building in the stadium parking lot and I would guess it is for batting cages and rehab equipment as well as offices. They now have a 7 team league called the Show Me League which is a collegiate wood bat league. From what I can glean from Google, the Orange Crush is the home team but they have 6 others divided into Midwest Red and Midwest Blue.
    Okay, my point is what is this US Baseball all about and since they seem to have enough investors to spend millions is it possible that some of the players cut from the Spikes and Johnson City teams could show up here as well as other young former minor leaguers. I would bet the scouts would inhabit the place a lot more often but they probably are doing that now although I rarely can seen any fans in the stands from the highway. I guess this just winds up to be a long post blowing air into a minor league thread but I sure wish someone could get the skinny on this US Baseball and what they are running.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I was just coming to get you opinion on this article Brian. It does make some interesting points about the possibility of improving college baseball, which would be cool, but it kind of sounds like shifting risk to a brand of baseball that already hemorrhages money. However I suppose if you give some money to college baseball like the article says may happen, it might not be a bad idea to use college football money to help subsidize your “minor league” system. Interesting counterpoint to the MiLB dismantling MLB has been pushing. Not sure I buy it, but article seems to make it sound like college baseball is all for it. Would like to hear your thoughts if you’re game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, here are some random thoughts. I am open to other views.

“Recently, MLB has worked to build deeper connections to college baseball, although the exact depth of their relationship under the “One Baseball” model is not entirely clear,” said the article.

If MLB was willing to invest MEANINGFUL money into college baseball, they would be investing in their own minor league organizations instead, which they can control. It reads to me like interesting talk but will any substantial action result?

What college baseball would like is for MLB to stop raiding the high school players they spend so much time and effort recruiting, only to see them picked off in the draft. I don’t mean this in a bad way, but everyone is looking out for themselves. So, yes, college baseball would like a shorter, later draft. Still as we saw this year, even with the shortest draft in history, MLB still kept taking the best high schoolers for themselves.

Having said that, using colleges to supplant some of the minor leagues for player development is not necessarily a bad idea, except for the towns that lose affiliated ball and the players who need more time to develop. The independent model is a tough one to make work. But back to college and development, the pressure just shifts, as the stress on the colleges and their players will be increasing.

All college sports are dependent on football money and that is not going to change. The 11.7 scholarship maximum in college baseball is a major limitation that does not look to be expanding. Now more kids will be competing for the same scraps of aid. The players from families less well off financially are going to have more trouble staying in the game long enough to have a hope of being drafted.

To the big picture, I remain skeptical that MLB is sincere about furthering the game in areas they cannot directly profit from. The article cited money to be made by MLB’s data arm when they take control of the minors. I see how that helps profitability, but how will it grow the game?

Exercising control of the game at all levels may not be a good thing given MLB’s track record. And, by the way, why is MLB keeping its “One Baseball” initiative a secret if it is so great and they are so benevolent?

P.S. I hope I am wrong. I want the game to thrive, not fade away. I just lack confidence that MLB will provide that leadership.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t most college players need summer jobs to make spending money for the 9 month school year? If they don’t have that opportunity, where will their spending money come from?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The best college players relocate across the country to play in wood bat leagues each summer. They have no time for jobs. Another example of how the baseball model is squeezing out those without considerable financial means.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s really too bad. Same thing in youth travel leagues. One of my grandsons (13years old), who lives in Northern Virginia is on the highest level youth traveling teams in both soccer and basketball. Total of $8-10 thousand total depending on the number of tournaments they travel to.

Participant

Free

I am still befuddled about this US Baseball in Ozark that hosted a complete collegiate wood bat league in one stadium with something like 7 teams but folded one week before playoffs when two positive virus cases popped up. My real question is who is behind this? To spend multi-million dollars on an abandoned stadium and also build a huge million dollar or so indoor practice facility smells like somebody with a plan. The virus threw a wrench in it this summer but I suspect they will be back if and when possible. Some of those players were recent high school graduates going to college this fall (if there is an open college this fall).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding minor league owners, by disclosing their contraction plan months early, MLB has effectively divided minor league owners into the haves and the have nots. The have nots want to fight to keep their affiliated franchises but have no leverage, other than the little bit MiLB standing as a group provides. The haves know their franchises will continue as long as MLB allows them to. So they are not going to go down fighting for the have nots and risk their own futures. Much better to cooperate with MLB than the alternative.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What exactly is gained by flipping the leagues, Brian?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Were you able to read the article?

If not, I will hit a few of the high points from the Cardinals angle. The basic allure would be that the jump from the GCL to Class A would all be in Jupiter. Then the high-A promotion would be to the colder regions of the upper Midwest.

There is also a Hail Mary proposal by short-season teams for them to host the second-half of the Class-A season, since almost no one goes to games in the Florida State League, anyway. No mention of how this would ease the financial and logistical concerns that have those leagues on the chopping block in the first place.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was able to read half the article before hitting the paywall. I was just curious as to why teams would be pushing for such a change. I figured from the Cardinals perspective it would make some sense due to what you mentioned, but wasn’t sure why others would feel the same. Thanks for sharing that insight.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Self-preservation time. MiLB HQ wants to please MLB in hopes of remaining alive, though most owners do not care. Also putting more AAA owners on the negotiation committee and cuttihg out more of the short-season owners. Pretty clear where this is headed… 120 teams with MLB in charge.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years