Player Payroll/Budget

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Player Payroll/Budget

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This could go in one of many different threads. I put it here because the writer talks a lot about how a vaccine could impact payroll.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeWitt Jr. to Goold:

“We’ve always made every attempt to be competitive, year after year.”

But “competitive” for what in 2021? Wild Card, Division, World Series? How many wins? 81, 85, 90, 95?

“It’s not like we have a hard and fast budget. It’s fluid.”

If Goold asked him to confirm the payroll would be down year-to-year, as Mo said, there is no evidence of it. I guess we still assume that is the case.

Not a direct quote, but Goold’s summary:

DeWitt said his baseball operations group has the green light to sign a free agent. Indeed, the team continues to talk with Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright about their returns. But the preference is to avoid substantial commitments, such long-term offers.

Taking Goold’s wording at face value, it suggests to me they could sign one of Waino or Yadi and that is it for now.

What makes a “substantial commitment” in money and years? Specifically, would two years for Yadi be “substantial”? I have so many follow on questions…

How do you see it? What do you take from this?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/dewitt-cardinals-budget-for-2021-not-hard-and-fast-as-team-wants-contender-our-fans/article_5720fe04-d57e-5990-8f09-6f96f0d9ffc7.html

Participant

Paid - Annual

That article doesn’t answer many questions but my guess is that the Cardinals will find the money to bring Yadi and Waino back and will scour the non-tender aisle for a bargain.

Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB breaks down the potentially large amount of financial flexibility the Cardinals should have next winter, which we have discussed frequently here.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not every team is cutting their budget in 2021.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To those who criticize the Cardinals for their bad contracts, here is a reminder of what else is going on around baseball…

Participant

Paid - Annual

That was a Dave Dombrowksi special. Some say he should be in the HOF but he does the same thing every time. He spends a ton of money, guts the farm system, wins a championship, then bails or is fired so someone else can come in and clean up the mess. Poor Chaim Bloom is left to pick up the pieces in Boston now.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is the FO done reducing budget commitments? Six arb players are coming up on the Wednesday, Dec. 2nd deadline. Will all be tendered?

Flaherty, Hicks and Reyes are locks to be tendered for me. What about Brebbia, Gant and Bader? Is there a non-tender or two in the bunch?

Maybe a trade in the final week before the deadline?

Participant

Paid - Annual

None of our arb eligible players will be very expensive this year so you would think all six would be offered. Then again, many of us were surprised that Wong’s option wasn’t picked up so the Cardinals may be willing to purge every penny they can or at least open up more room on the 40 man.

I would rank the six in order of most likely to be non-tendered to least likely.

Brebbia
    Gant
    Bader
    Reyes
    Hicks
    Flaherty

Participant

Paid - Annual

I put this here because it is a reminder that despite a team’s payroll capacity building from within is always the cornerstone. I really believe the Cardinals can emulate the Dodgers even if on a smaller scale.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With that TV deal and the best attendance in the league regularly, the Dodgers can use their money any way they wish and still have money left over to burn. It’s an enviable position. The Cards did many of the things the Dodgers did well from about 2008-2015, then have tailed off recently. Makes you wonder what has changed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The relative ranking of the Cardinals farm system based on my consensus tabulation of the major national raters has always been in the narrow band between no. 13 and no. 17 for the six years since 2015. In the six years prior to that, it was a wild fluctuation almost every year from as low as no. 29 to a high of no. 1.

In other words, what has changed recently is perception, mostly driven by a few high-profile trades that did not work out well out of the gates, IMO. That is what seems to have so many upset. The rankings actually indicate that drafting and development have been pretty consistent.

P.S. I respect far more what the Rays have accomplished, for example. As already noted, the teams with the most resources SHOULD do a good job. The bottom line is that the Dodgers have just one title since 1988. All the rest is secondary, as I see it. I will take the Cardinals’ long term success without the peaks and valleys.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think you will see as many peaks and valleys with the Dodgers under Friedman as you did under their previous regimes. Why? Because he knows that building from within is as important, if not more important, than writing checks.

As the article points out, there are other teams with the big TV deals like the Dodgers but they don’t achieve the same success. There has to be a combination of money and intelligence.

The Cardinals can have both too. I still think very highly of the Cardinals drafting and development processes. That is their wheel house. As Brian alluded to, if the Cardinals could get better with free agency and trades the sky would be the limit.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

As he pointed out it isn’t a surprise that Central teams have been greatly impacted by Covid because they are all small market teams, except the Cubs and Cardinals. The White Sox are technically in a big market but they don’t spend like it and their attendance numbers are usually very average. I think he is also correct in saying that 2020 is probably just a unique outlier.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years