Player Payroll/Budget

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Player Payroll/Budget

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This new thread is for discussion about the Cardinals payroll. If people have done analysis posted on other threads, please copy it here. Thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is the payroll info I posted back on October 3.

Goldy- 26
    Carp- 18.5
    Mikolas- 17
    Fowler- 16.5
    A. Miller- 12
    CMart-11.7
    DeJong- 4.16
    Kim- 4
    Hudson- .6
    Gallegos- .6
    O’Neill- .6
    Webb- .6
    Edman- .6
    Helsley- .6
    Cabrera- .6
    Ponce- .6
    Gomber- .6
    Knizer- .6
    Carlson- .6

That totals 116.47 million.

Gant- Arb 2 (2M)
    Hicks- Arb 1 (2M)
    Flaherty- Arb 1 (5M)
    Brebbia- Arb 1 (1M)
    Bader- Arb 1 (2M)
    Reyes- Arb 1 (2M)

I am guessing at those numbers but that totals 14M which brings our overall total to 130.47 million.

Then you have Wong’s option at 12.5M. That would bring the overall total to $142.97 million.

Then you have the free agents of Yadi, Waino, Wieters, and Brad Miller.
    Let’s say we bring Yadi back at 12M and Waino back at 8M.

That gives a grand overall total of $162.97 million.

In order to make many moves the Cardinals would have to move some payroll. Could they move Wong? CMart? A. Miller? Maybe, who knows?

The other thing to consider is when will MLB know if fans will be allowed next year? That is a crucial piece of information when planning the budget. We don’t know when a vaccine will be approved and when it will be distributed. It could be anywhere from January 2021 to July 2021 or later. Or maybe only a portion of fans will be allowed to enter, say 1/3 capacity. That would help revenue some but not enough. A lot of unanswered questions still remain.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for saving money…After Fowler’s halfway decent year do you think he would attract any interest in a trade, where we eat any of the salary?

I feel like with Leake we did that kind of move where we eat some money to bring something back.

with Carp’s season I am not sure how he or his money could be moved without eating it or including a very nice prospect, which doesn’t seem the type of thing Mo has done.

Though as i proposed somewhere else, the angels may prefer a somewhat defensively flexible expensive piece as opposed to Pujols who is not (at least at a position they already dont have a backlog of)

CMart, Wong, maybe Miller i think would all have potential of moving…though i am not sure we would get good value on any of them compared to their contracts

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

plan xyz:

If Wong is allowed to walk it costs 1mil buyout, saving 11.5mil of his 12.5mil 2021 salary.
    If Yadi is allowed to walk it’s saves 12mil (est.)
    If Adam is allowed to walk it saves 8mil (est.)

That’s 31.5mil not spent on bringing our FA’s or club options back. That’s the easy way to create financial flexibility, but likely not the popular way, or even Mo’s way. TBD.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That pretty much sums it up JJ.

Oh they could clear some payroll by trying to offload Miller and CMart but I don’t know how much interest there would be in those two.

It is really a shame the front office has let our payroll get into this kind of a mess. We have way too many unproductive contracts holding us back. Giving out big contracts to aging players is usually a bad idea. All you can hope for is that there were lessons learned.

Participant

Free

I doubt the payroll will even go up this year. I bet they cut it again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB with a couple of payroll articles which sum up what many of us have been talking about.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/10/9/21508309/updating-the-cardinals-payroll-matrix-2021-2023

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting articles “gscottar”! I do agree that payrolls will be under pressure In 2021 given the overall finances of owner. As the second article points out, owners took a hit this year and face a lot of uncertainty going into 2021.

I have to think the Front Office needs to get creative. Is it possible to Trade or restructure some of the guaranteed money? Can you renegotiate Wong option? Does it make sense to hold off signing Free agents (Wainright and Molina) to determine where the market is going?

Finally, ownership may need to dig into the pocket Book to avoid losing talented young players in arbitration.

Participant

Free

After the arb estimates have come out from MLBTR, I have the payroll around $160M with the assumption that Molina and Waino are re-signed (at $14M & $8M respectively)

Harrison Bader – $1.2MM / $1.7MM / $1.2MM
    John Brebbia – $800K / $800K / $800K
    Jack Flaherty – $2.2MM / $3.0MM / $2.2MM
    John Gant – $1.5MM / $1.9MM / $1.5MM
    Jordan Hicks – $900K / $900K / $900K
    Alex Reyes – $1.0MM / $1.2MM / $1.0MM

Middle number is what matters.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Chances are the Cards will offer all six arb players. I was speculating that if one was going to be non-tendered Brebbia would be the most likely but if the team can solve their roster crunch while keeping him that would be the smart move.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

PadsFS, looking through those numbers, Flaherty’s figure stands out as being very low. Are they figuring that arb salaries will be depressed due to the revenue hit? Looking back, Michael Wacha got just under 3M in 2017 and he wasn’t within a mile of Flaherty as a pitcher, plus was injured a lot.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The arb process uses old school stats that heavily weigh playing time. Flaherty is behind Wacha entering arb by 7 in GS, 82 in IP and the biggie is Wacha with 10 more wins. I know, but that’s how they do it, and MLBTR’s model is adjusted to what the process values.

I think 3mil is low too, so imagine how Flaherty views it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Saxon is speculating that the Cardinals may be cutting the player payroll for 2021. He has no new news or quotes, but is just reading the tea leaves.

https://theathletic.com/2152379/2020/10/21/grim-financial-picture-could-prompt-st-louis-cardinals-to-cut-payroll-in-2021/

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only way I could see the team appreciably cutting payroll would be to not resign Yadi or Waino, restructure Wong’s deal or trade away salary and get no players in return. While I’d be fine with standing pat for 2021 with basically the same team as 2020, fans will not so I’d expect less fans in the seats even if they are allowed back in next season.

Participant

Paid - Annual

After reading that article I came away thinking that Saxon hadn’t put as much thought into it as some on this board have. I am not saying his overall premise is wrong but I think he is short on details. I guess there are only so many words you can fit into an article though.

If his prediction comes true then I guess we can discontinue all of these threads we have concerning who we need to acquire to improve the offense. Sorry cranny.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years