Player Payroll/Budget

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Player Payroll/Budget

Viewing 7 posts - 176 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards could easily have $30M-$40M to spend next winter if they want to, and maybe more than that. I agree that the rotation and OF seems to be the most logical places to look but who knows who will step up in 2021 and who won’t. The landscape could look different a year from now.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj wrote:

2021 STL payroll update 2-8-2021

I’ll try to get this close and wait for GS to adjust where needed.

26.00 Goldschmidt
    18.50 Carpenter
    17.00 Mikolas
    14.75 Fowler (non-roster)
    12.00 Miller
    11.70 Martinez
    08.00 Wainwright
    04.16 DeJong
    04.00 Kim
    00.00 Arenado
    —–
    116.11mil (9 rosters spots)

02.10 Gant
    02.00 Bader
    00.90 Reyes
    00.86 Hicks
    —–
    121.97mil (13 spots)

03.90 Flaherty (my expected arb decision)
    08.00 Molina (my expected FA signing)
    —–
    133.87mil (15 roster spots)

06.60 (eleven 0-3yr near minimums at 0.60 each)
    —–
    140.7mil (26 roster spots) 140.7mil is 83% of the 2020 168.9mil payroll

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll try to get this close and wait for GS to adjust where needed.

That is pretty much what I have also. The only difference is I am calculating twelve league minimum slots because of Hudson.

The Cards still have room for another acquisition and be under last year’s pre-covid budget.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for transferring my reply to this thread.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dodgers are now at least $40 MM over threshold, above $250 MM. Cards are around $140? So LA is about 180% of StL. Other than that… 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well since you bring it up I will explain myself yet once again. I never said the Cardinals would match the Dodgers in payroll. I said that the two organizations have similarities in how they acquire talent and I still believe that. The Dodgers just do it on a larger scale.

They both primarily build from within.
    They both believe heavily in drafting and developing.
    They both try to retain their existing players with extensions.
    They both supplement their in-house talent with trades and the occasional free agent, although again, the Dodgers usually swim in the deeper end of the pool. I guess you could say that the Dodgers are the Cardinals on steroids. (Maybe not a good choice of words. My apologies to those who think Bonds, Clemens, etc… belong in the HOF.)

I do find it interesting though that the small market and destitute Cardinals were able to trade for the one guy the Dodgers really wanted (Arenado). And I am pretty sure Arenado would have gone to LA since he is from there. Naturally I am sure the Rockies didn’t want to trade him within the division but you would think the all powerful mega market Dodgers should have been able to come up with a trade package that the Rockies couldn’t resist. They couldn’t.

I heard Andrew Friedman on MLB radio the other day and he all but admitted that the Dodgers splurge recently had something to do with the Padres hyper activity this winter. Now I admit that is something Mo wouldn’t acknowledge so that is a definite difference.

And once again I offer the reminder the Dodgers have almost $100M coming off the books next winter (more than that if Bauer opts out), so I wouldn’t expect them to stay above the luxury tax for long.

If I am wrong about both teams primarily building from within with supplements from the outside please tell me where I am wrong. If all you have is just comparing total payroll numbers then I would say that doesn’t tell the entire story. The Dodgers are just more extreme in how they use the same template.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a really good article. I too have been confused with how Cot’s and some others have listed Arenado’s salary. It is very confusing. Regardless, this article suggests that the Cardinals probably won’t make many big moves at the deadline or in the offseason.

Viewing 7 posts - 176 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years