MLB Trade Deadline

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Trade Deadline

Viewing 20 posts - 126 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2016 -a glut of Pitchers and OFs may be true,but there certainly is a need for Lefthanded quality pitchers and Lefty hitting quality OFs in the system.
    As for caring if and when the Chicago writers figure what the Cards are doing…who gives a damn what they think.
    Getting rid of Pham was better for all parties IMHO. What the hell did Pham have to do with STlouis tradition? Pham trashed the organization that kept him employed for 10 years while he was injured and struggling.You don`t bite the hand that feeds you.Not to smart…so saying Pham and Stlouis tradtion is nonsense.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

MO said in an interview that he traded Pham because ‘Pham wasn’t producing’,

Yet they continue to run Fowler out there daily, and he is by far the worst position player on the team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This article talks about intradivision trades. As you might expect it is a mixed bag. Some are in favor and some are not.

https://www.mlb.com/news/will-trades-between-mlb-rivals-be-more-common/c-287773174

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

…but there certainly is a need for Lefthanded quality pitchers and Lefty hitting quality OFs in the system.

The operative word is quality.

We got Shreve because the Yankees upgraded to Britton (and we gave them $1 million in international bonus pool money + a better AAA 1B than they had in their system).

The Rays were willing to trade Cabrera because they upgraded to Beeks.

This is why this front office has built an average team. We settle for average.

And BW52 – since you were addressing me, where do I say anything about Pham and tradition?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our favorite villain, Marx Saxon, penned a piece for The Athletic basically saying that the Cardinals have decided to go back to their Branch Rickey roots and focus on totally building from within and going younger.

I really don’t know if this is true or not. If it is there might be some merit to it although I still believe that most championship teams have all avenues open when building a team. That includes trades, free agents, drafting and developing, and international signings. You really need to be good in all areas.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scott, I think that’s the plan for the rest of the year…see what you’ve got with the young guys and adjust from there. With Pham gone, that’s $4-6 million less in Arb money that can be spent this offseason. If the team doesn’t use some of that dry powder this or next offseason, I dunno when they ever would. The payroll will be around $140 million as is and the tax cutoff will be $207 million or so.

14NyquisT
    Participant

25… the FO did make a move for that power bat/premier player, remember? We gave up four players to get Ozuna. Management was fooled by his baseball card the same way they screwed up with one-season Fowler. Lost $$$. A lot of $$$.

How many vet relievers were acquired to shore up the bullpen, to find our lock down closer… and the $$$ they wasted again. Nothing but Norris to show for it.

I know that when you acquire players its almost a crap shoot. The FO lost on a lot of rolls, but the mistakes are compounded when they fail to undo the failures. The cover-ups have much to do with the decline of the team into a second division, boring, lack-luster squad.

You can blame the players, but they are the ones that Mozeliak brought in.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas has been a huge get, a smart get, and a cheap get, and we beat out people to get him (if the coasts can take advantage of their shiny lights etc. then we can take credit for Jupiter being where we practice)

Mikolas and Norris have been great finds…to the point of prophetic

-Holland was a mistake but not a bad decision…we had injuries and unsureness in th pen and HOlland’s pedigree seemed to be a perfect fix…just a mistake and loss of money…but only one year it happens
    -Fowler seems a mistake too, longer years and more money…definite mistake…I didnt like the deal at the time and while i have embraced Fowler as a Cardinal…he hasnt lived up to his contract in any way IMO…so mistake and bad decision IMO…but i understand the move
    -Cecil is mistake as of now, but not a bad decision…but he still has 2 years left so we can still get good value if he figures it out…and it’s 7mil or so…not killing us just poorly spent at the moment for the production given
    -Gregerson is mitake as of now too…but again not a bad decision…we needed help in the pen…and it’s 5million and his contract is up after 2019 (1m buyout)…it’s not crazy money…and he could still return value

to me i see 1 bad decision of Fowler, and some mistakes on relievers…relievers are hard to predict…Holland is gone…Cecil and Gregerson are eating up about 13million in no production which is no fun…but it isnt the end of the world, plsu both coudl still provide production for their contract

The Mikolas and Norris finds are much bigger deals to me…and outweigh the mistakes (if not the bad decision of Fowler)

a front end AS starter liek Mikolas is performing is WAY more than his 7.75mi he is being paid…for similar production usually you have to pay double that….that makes up for the Cecil mistake right there

Norris is pitching like a dependable closer…that goes for about 10mil minimum right? he’s making 1.175mil…that’s about 9mil bonus value.. it doesnt solve the Holland mistake but it sure makes it more palatable…

there is no denying that the mistakes we made have affected us…even if they werent bad decisions just poor outcomes…but we have made good decisions too which have benefited us that have to be taken into consideration for total accomplishment and success of the FO

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Free

Jager-

Excellent post… I agree 100%

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I guess the last 2 games of the cubs series are what sealed the deal on pham. lol He had an ops over 1,000 from.July 15th until the 27th.

Maybe he wasn’t performing in certain area’s but let’s not be fooled here. The SI article and his prolonged slump and injury history led to him being sent packing.

bccran
    Participant

Pham was one down. Two to go.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Here’s a thought: Why don’t we trade Dexter Fowler for a truckload of batting gloves with decent Velcro so hitters don’t have to break concentration by resticking them between every pitch.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many different ways do people have to explain to you that Fowler is currently untradable before you will understand. After this season, Fowler has three more years on his contract at $16.5 million per year. No one will touch him, but the Cardinals are not ready to release him and eat $50 million. Those are the ONLY choices. There is absolutely no possible trade they could make to unload Fowler. Period.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I see you’ve misplaced your sense of humor Paul.

I was attempting to express frustration through amusement. I’m sorry you didn’t get it.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

If the team doesn’t use some of that dry powder this or next offseason, I dunno when they ever would.

They’ve had that dry powder for years, and never use it on upgrades

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At the time of the Holland signing it seemed like one of the best closers in the game was falling into the Cardinals lap. And here they were with enough dry powder to sign him.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

At the time of the Holland signing it seemed like one of the best closers in the game was falling into the Cardinals lap.

He had a 6.38 ERA and 1.333 WHIP in the second half of last year. There were plenty of warning signs on Holland.

The Cardinals did what they often do, which is create a void that forces them into making bad free agent decisions.

They were going into spring training with Gregerson as their stated closer. Everybody knew that wasn’t going to work.

So, once again, NOT AN UPGRADE, but rather filling a void.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holland averaged 41 saves in the 4 years prior to 2018. If ever there was an outlier, the stats you quoted would be it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have broken down Holland’s 2h 2017 stats three times already so I am not going to do it again. He had a finger injury that he tried to pitch through in August. His September numbers were back to normal. It turned out to be a bad signing by the Cards, but his 2017 has been misrepresented.

NJ315
    Participant

I never wanted them to sign Holland. And I was right about that as I was wrong about Norris.

Viewing 20 posts - 126 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.