MLB Trade Deadline

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Trade Deadline

This topic contains 144 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NJ315 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

post waiver deals are still possible…but seems unlikely for both of these guys…but stranger things have happened i guess

i do wonder about a Fowler post trade deadline deal as no one will take him with his salary outright

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brewers just got Jonathan Schoop from Orioles.Don`t know return yet.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

big move for the Brewers…not getting at least Harvey to help them was a mistake though

that lineup and the bullpen is going to either get them far or fail them

How do you justify the Moose deal when you go and get Schoop? Shaw Schop and MOose…can any of them play SS? otherwise i dont know how they play together

crazy bench thouhg

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so at the end of the day it seems we are:

-hoping for healthy Leone to bolster the pen probably in place of Gregerson
    -Shreve to replace Lyons as a power lefty
    -Webb to replace Cecil/Sherriff as 2nd lefty if desired
    -Oneill to replace Pham as impact bat
    -Norris to hold closer role
    -JMart to either get better at 1b soon, or Munoz and Gyorko to be offensive threats
    -Wacha and Cmart to return healthy enough to be impact makers to finish the season

It’s not very flashy, missed some great opportunities IMO, but it did address some concerns

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Orioles get Jonathan Villar 2B for Schoop

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Cards fall further behind the teams in front of them with their FONT office being worse than all those teams to so nothing new there.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The wait to deadline was anti-climatic with Cards unable or unwilling to continue dealing.Still Cards did revamp the bullpen and get younger overall and at least some issues received some attention.Still think like some others here that there will be a waiver deal or two befin the next weeks before playoff roster deadline.I doubt Jmartinez or Bud Norris see September with the Cards.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, I don’t remember villifying anyone. That is a pretty strong way to phrase it. I was giving an opinion on intradivision trades. Nothing more and nothing less.

As for the Cards, I’m a bit surprised we kept JMart and Norris but we can use JMart’s bat down the stretch then he can be traded this winter. Fowler will no doubt pass through waivers so he could be a candidate for an August trade depending on how much money we are willing to eat.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This deadline tells me that the front office feels the core there for a contending team and that trading extra players for useful pieces (not core players) will suffice to meet their goal of preparing for 2019 while not punting on 2018. So, they did not want to be sellers.

I guess the question of just how far away they feel that they are will be more obvious this offseason. If they sign or trade for a major upgrade we could expect them to be serious about pushing in 2019 but if not I suspect we’ll see more 85 win talent out there next year and beyond.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

vilify was probably too harsh…apologies for that…

why i labeled it that way was because you were seemingly implying that whoever is at the helm is not fit to sit there because they arent willing to trade in the division…you said as much in your post about being in the “big chair”

nevertheless…we did make progress….and undoubtedly the FO will say they didnt get the offers they wanted for NOrris and JMart..which should be expected and expected to be interpreted by all of us as them not doing their job….whether it is true or not

-NOrris staying for a run is a fine company line for not giving up on the season
    -JMart staying because we have control doesnt cut it for me as he has no place in the field…i love Oquendo but i dont think he can do much more with Jmart….there had to be offers, not getting one a bit closer by either adding value to get what we want from the other team or lowering our ask alone on JMart seems a big mistake…will it really get easier in the offseason? is him pinch hitting right now all that valuable

and to be honest not moving GGarcia doesnt make sense for the same reason..he is arb eligible and a lefty pinch hitter seems not worth the investment it will take to keep him especially with others coming up to fill that role being available and ready…even if they arent lefty

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oscar Mercado has been traded to the Indians for Conner Capel and Jhon Torres.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

also…the FO definitely has a big part to play in the last 3 years.. MM firing didnt deflect the fans from that target on their back for responsibility…

at the end of the day they released Holland as wasted money…and have hid Cecil and Gregerson on the DL now to cover that mistake… Fowler they are playing in hopes he can turn it around to distract from that mistake… then they moved Pham who called the FO out…thus hiding another negative minded towards the FO outspoken person

I am just not sure all of that and missing the playoffs will be enough to not have the fans calling for the FOs head this offseason….

if we had landed a big fish like Archer or traded for a someone that could be seen as the FO really trying hard to fix the offense i think the fans woudl understand if it didnt work out right now… but with the moves they made or didnt make it looks liek they are trying to act like they havent done anything wrong and that they arent very responsible for the team on the field

If i were them id be a bit more worried about my job being gone…at least if you start the revamping now you can say you NEEd the offseason to see it through… but if all you do is put some bandaids on the bullpen by calling up starters and force them to relieve…and make no discernible moves to get the offense better outside of moving a slumping FO bashing OF for minor leaguers to be replaced with a power hitting OFer with power potential..very similar to Grichuk (which didnt work) then i dont see how you have done anythign to prove you need the offseason to finish any kind of plan

this team looks tailor made for a new GM to come in and do what they please…if i were GM id want to show a better plan via my actions now rather than hoping to sell the idea after the season and everyone being upset and depressed ona subpar year…

I think the fans are willing to forgive mistakes as long as people try really hard…go and make a mistake MOz…you have made them already, why not make a big move and try to get it to go right to show you still have it in you…if it fails you are still where you are now…if it works not only do we win more but you look good

philcron77
    Participant

Free

That is another confusing trade. On surface it looks strange. I do like Capel some I think he has a solid chance to be good.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

what in the world is that MErcado deal?

why do we need another catcher? and why do we want a lesser OF prospect? or even ANY OF prospect at all?
    and why spend your time on THIS deal when there were others to be made?

and why make that deal right now anyways? that deal could have been made in the offseason if you still thought it was good…it doesnt clear any space needed right now and only makes our depth worse.

i hate coming down on the FO but this is getting ridiculous…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i thought Torres was a catcher…but it looks like he is a RF…nevertheless confusing and ridiculous IMO

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By moving Mercado for two OF’s in lower leagues it removes some of the congestion at the upper levels. We also have acquired two LH OF’s today (Capel and Williams) so that seemed to be a priority.

philcron77
    Participant

Free

More outfielders.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

but why do it now? why when there are other deals to be made or tried to be made?

Mercado can help Cleveland today if they want…it helps them but it only helps us in the offseason to clear space..AND Capel and Torres are farther down and far less proven…and are OFers…which we already have young ones we are committed too and Fowlers big contract…to pair with Bader and Oneill and AdGarcia and Aroazarena and eve JMachado …LThomas etc etc

i coudl understand if we grabbed a mid to lower level corner infielder or middle infielder maybe even…but another OFer after missing on the more important moves we need screams reactionary and in line with the criticism of MOz for doing something just to do something…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

The Mercado deal is flat out STUPID we give up by far the best player and get more lesser guys in return Mo you are an idiot plain and simple and need FIRED Yesterday!

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of surprised by dealing Mercado.Opens up a 40 man roster spot now.Wonder what’s next?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar Bw52.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate the Mercado trade. By far the worst of the season. Absolutely terrible.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I’m scratching my head yet again why they can’t seem to pull the trigger on trading guys that won’t be on the team next year any way. The prime example is Bud Norris. His salary will be far more than this year’s and there is no guarantee he will remain the closer. That lottery ticket should have been cashed in today. You can’t tell me the Dodgers wouldn’t want him. They took Axford for crying out loud. This was the time to move him and Martinez the DH. Trading Mercado makes very little sense right now. No problem with the Pham deal. In the end though, I’m not sure what they are doing but building a competitive team doesn’t seem to be it.

philcron77
    Participant

Free

I was saying to my buddy can’t get much worse than the Pham trade the definition of sell low. Mozeliak said hold my beer. Then did the Mercado trade.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Just “white noise Mo” doing what he does best….not much. But that’s for the best. When he tried to play big in recent years (off season, not trade deadline), he’s messed it up. Can’t blame him for being gun shy. So this is actually for the best. If he messes it up, it’s small scale….and if he’s gets lucky, he and his cronies can talk about another diamond in the rough he found that hardly moves the needle.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see anything special in the 5 players we got.

Surprised to see Mercado go. He’s been Cardinal property for 5 years and made a big comeback after a lot of disappointment. Probably not the MiLB OFer that I would have traded. The return looks marginal but the two in the Mercado deal are younger.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years