MLB Trade Deadline

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Trade Deadline

This topic contains 144 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NJ315 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is probably the best for Mercado… going to a winning organization with some light above him. He was too crammed in at Memphis.

I hope he gets up to Cleveland and receives a WS ring this season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This whole deadline really was a big nothing burger for the Cards. We nibbled here and there but nothing major happened.

The biggest thing we did was open up some playing time for Bader, O’Neill, and Hudson. Hopefully the three of them really blossom in the second half but barring some kind of explosion by someone I see us finishing around 81-81 then we will have to hope for some kind of significant move this winter.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Prospects. Prospects. It’s nice to have prospects. You can’t have too many prospects. But how about trading for an established mler or two with some bona fide credentials that can get this team moving?
    Oh yeah. We tried that, I guess. Fowler comes to mind. Cecil… I guess the FO isn’t worried about having to defend deals for prospects.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

O’Neill replaces pham.
    Williams replaces Mercado, so the FO must like Williams better.
    Capel and Torres don’t need protected this winter.

We were sellers for the sake of roster management, not impact, and MUCH more does done.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mercado wasn`t going to be the new Willie Mays.I think Cards decided the need for LH bats was a priority and getting some today was done.Cards still have Arozarena,lane Thomas,Adolis Garcia at AAA and other decent guys at Springfield.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m glad to finally see Archer go to another team. All the speculation about him coming here by you know who was wearing me out. Way to go Buccos… and we’ll get some changes to rough him up a bit.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lane Thomas has the power but he doesn’t have the plate discipline Mercado has. The Mercado trade seems to be a trade just to get two LH bats who also much less talented.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brenden sums up my feelings pretty well:

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC- Connor Capel is rated #10 on the Cards prospect list.The exact same spot Mercado was rated before the trade.Mercado has been around 6 years while Conner Capel was drafted in 2016.Jhon Torres is a righty batter and only 18.So saying the Cards got less talented players is wrong.I liked Mercado also but I understand the deal.Cards system was thin on potential impact LH bats.Justin Williams (from TB) and Capel (CLeve) can help that.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brenden sums up my feelings pretty well:

I feel kinda the same way you do, BHC. It feels like the organization has tried the same model ever since Albert left. They supplement the native talent on the roster with “smart” moves on bringing in vets, usually on 2 year deals and let the farm system fill in whatever gaps are there. They rode the wave of talent to some really successful seasons in 2012-15 but the savvy moves kind of dried up. They missed on their veterans and had to go to uncomfortable lengths to even get the guys at all.

The succession from Carp to Waino to…didn’t quite connect and they’ve been waiting for Wacha, Martinez or someone to take the next step and be the dominant force in the rotation. Albert morphed to Beltran to Marp in the lineup, with no one taking up the torch as Taveras, Grichuk, Piscotty and Pham all didn’t pan out for different reasons. We currently have our hopes pegged on Flaherty, Reyes, Weaver or O’Neill, Bader or Dejong to be the next star. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t.

I think more than anything what I’d like to see is a commitment to just making one unit elite, rather than merely good or potentially good. If you’re gonna double down on pitching, make a move for a top 10 pitcher like a Bumgarner or a DeGrom. If it’s hitting you want to bolster, sign Machado or Harper and more this offseason and show the fans you’re serious. Make the bullpen…well, it’s foolish to spend huge money on a pen long term but this year certainly would be a year you could sign multiple guys who are elite relievers if you so wanted. It’s not so much money that the Cards can’t afford to spend right up to the luxury threshold, basically.

That’s why it’s annoying that they made such middling moves today. There was a chance to provide something of a more clear direction, and they didn’t do it. I’m holding out some hope that they will this offseason, but past history has shown that they’re content to gamble on everything going right to win 95 games rather than setting up to win from the start.

Bsmith80
    Participant

Free

The Pham deal was the stupidest deal ever, whoever is in charge is throwing the St. Louis traditional in the effing drain. All I can said is WOW! Your some stupid a** people

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

If they aren’t going to try and win I’d rather they just tank the rest of the season so they get the draft picks, draft bonus allotment and international signing bonus allotment. Finishing 81-81 still doesn’t put them in the top part of the draft and it sure as hell doesn’t put them in the playoffs.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The smartest thing MO and his FO did was to not waste any of the arms we have. We still have an embarrassment of riches there. And, they didn’t waste the trade value of Kelly. We’ll see what happens with Kelly in the offseason now that his offense is back on track.

I thought Pham was going to be a 30-30 guy this year. Saw pictures of him working out with NFL players while saying the workouts were better for him because they were tougher. Still don’t understand what happened. Hope he emerges in Tampa Bay.

Mercado was blocked at the major league level. Arozarena needs to be at AAA, not AA. Most agree that we could use some LH outfield bats. We got them.

It would be nice if the Voit deal worked out well. Shreve could be a LH reliever that can help, and Voit was never going to take over first base in St. Louis.

If they had traded Norris, or even JMart, that would have almost signaled a rebuild coming, IMO. Both are needed to have a chance to win this year.

IMO, what this team needed most was a manager who wants to win and who would push his players to get better so they could win. Maybe we got him, maybe not.

All in all, I think the FO has done a commendable job so far in trying to clean up the train wreck that it brought upon itself. The biggest remaining need still appears to be an impact bat.

I still think this team has enough talent to get a wild card.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Welcome to the board, Bsmith80.

Please take the time to read the Board rules link. Disguised profanity remains profanity and is a violation.

I’m sure you can express your point of view without it.

Thanks.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Mudville,
    The embarrassment of riches (arms) would look even better with a good defensive squad behind them.
    Our D is so VERY poor, and its not like we are sacrificing D for a stacked lineup.
    I hope future acquisitions to support our staff is THE primary focus.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals had a glut of outfielders and pitchers in the system, so they traded for outfielders and pitchers. But hey! They’re left-handed!!!

The lack of vision in this front office never ceases to amaze me.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

LOL – even Chicago writers can’t figure out what the Cardinals are doing…

Great trade!!! jk

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The paucity of southpaws throughout the Cardinals system is a concern and needed to be addressed. You cannot win in professional baseball without at least some good left-handed pitching and hitting.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The lack of quality middle infielders is a concern that still needs to be addressed…

And I would rather have a better hitting right-handed hitter than a guy that is there just because he is left-handed. Go upside, not need.

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you draft for upside and trade for need.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The Cards needed to finally make an overdue impact player trade ala Holliday a number of years ago. They didn’t pull one off again this July. If they don’t be careful, they may start to see a slow erosion in their fan base.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Its time for Mo to go.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

I’ve been a vocal supporter of Pham and became especially so when he was benched in mid-August 2016 after OPSing in the .860 range up until his benching. He somehow became one of the most polarizing figures on the team. There were people who loved him and people who hated him. Why the hate? I never understood. But he was undersold by upper management(including Matheny) and the fans. Today, the fans who continually hated him, who wanted to trade him all throughout – even in his brightest moments(because of his eyes, of course) – rejoiced in utter contempt. Why? Because of the SI article, because they think he’s a narcissist(hahahahahahahahahahaha), because he’s raw and uncensored unlike them, because of a bad ending to 2016? I’ll never get the feel good story that was marred by so many disconcerting voices. I’ll never respect management for this trade. A cost-controlled self-critical man with a dogged work ethic and a load of talent for a couple of prospects who might not have been protected this coming off-season by the team trading them? So to make room for playing time for a player signed for too long and too much and in the face of a player like Pham who they should’ve known was ready to break out. There was never a reason for Fowler – it was shown. Instead of correcting that mistake to make room for O’Neill, they fooled themselves again and wasted value. All for what? So they can cut loose more players when they inevitably have to cut loose dead weight from the 40-man? One of my worst days as a Cardinals fan. I’d rather lose a playoff spot on the last day of the season.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MO said in an interview that he traded Pham because ‘Pham wasn’t producing’, and he’d already been with the organization for 12 years.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years