2021-22 MLB Offseason Activity

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021-22 MLB Offseason Activity

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So much of this is just showing how absurd the argument between owners and players is right now. This is a hot market thanks to the depressed salaries the last two years. I hope both sides realize that a protracted stoppage will kill all the fun and good will of the last few days, setting the game on a course to be the #3, possibly #4 sport in America in the next 20 years. Get it right, baseball.

Pork Twain
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish the <LB would do a cap and a floor, at some point.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually like the idea of a shortened time to do FA deals in the winter. It completely hurts agents like Boras that like to slow play the market.

It feels very much like the NBA FA season, which is a ton of fun to follow.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually like the idea of a shortened time to do FA deals in the winter. It completely hurts agents like Boras that like to slow play the market.

Well, Boras got $630 million for his clients in the past few days so I don’t think he was hurt all that much. I don’t care for him much, but he’s a player’s agent without a doubt and he gets the job done.

That said, I would be in favor of the same. Make it Jan 1 so that baseball gets in on the headlines around the holidays more. Then maybe an off-season trade deadline too. Pressure makes people act and that’s what the game needs right now. The action of the last few days is fun.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So much of this is just showing how absurd the argument between owners and players is right now. This is a hot market thanks to the depressed salaries the last two years. I hope both sides realize that a protracted stoppage will kill all the fun and good will of the last few days, setting the game on a course to be the #3, possibly #4 sport in America in the next 20 years. Get it right, baseball.

Exactly. How can the owners and players whine about money when over a billion dollars has been spent in the last couple of days? They better not mess this up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It feels very much like the NBA FA season, which is a ton of fun to follow.

I totally agree. I would do an annual December 31 deadline for free agents and maybe a later deadline for offseason trades. It is way more exciting than the normal offseason.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, does Seager to the Rangers move Trea Turner back to shortstop? And perhaps Muncy and/or Taylor to 2ndbase? What about 1st now? Would the Dodgers want to bring Pujols back for another year to hit against lefties?

The Dodgers are not having a good offseason so far. They have lost Scherzer and Seager while Kershaw, Taylor, and Jansen remain unsigned. Plus they are dealing with the Bauer headache. They owe him $35M the next two years and don’t even know if we will be playing or not.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How different has this offseason been as compared to last year? Last November saw only five free agents sign deals worth at least $1 million — all for one year and none for more than $15 million.

The first $20 million deal wasn’t signed until Dec. 15, when James McCann signed a four-year, $40.6 million contract with the Mets. Ha-Seong Kim’s four-year, $28 million contract with the Padres was the only other deal worth more than $20 million that was signed before the end of 2020.

No player signed a deal worth as much as Rodriguez’s $77 million deal until Jan. 27, when DJ LeMahieu signed a six-year, $90 million pact with the Yankees. This month, five free agents have already topped the $100 million mark, with Seager topping $300 million.

Of the 14 contracts handed out last winter worth at least $20 million, 12 were signed after Jan. 19. As of Monday afternoon, 17 players had already agreed to $20 million or more in guaranteed money.

“I think there is fear of the unknown on both sides,” an American League executive said. “There is only one thing I know for sure: deadlines bring deals, and Dec. 1 is a looming deadline. Players like to know where they are going.”

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25

Daniel Hudson headed to the Dodgers, it looks like.

I would have really like Hudson and the guy the Rays got in Brooks Raley. Maybe they will get Collin McHugh (1.55 ERA, 247 ERA+), Andrew Chafin (1.83 ERA, 230 ERA+), or Corey Knebel (2.45 ERA, 169 ERA+) still.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Joe Kelly anyone? Its rare for players to have reunions but…. What would he cost? Maybe 6/7 million?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Cursed Padres are in talks with Garcia and Suarez…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals don’t need to let Garcia slip away. He was terrific for us last year.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like them to get Kelly back. Incentive laden deal, and he could be our closer. And I wish we had locked up Garcia too. Has way too live of an arm. The best bet for us is to build a great bullpen. And a greater urgency than usual since the lockdown is likely in 2 days. Let’s sign a couple more relievers, and then go for low hanging fruit too.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Wilson Contreras would be a great move, imo. To continue the tradition of great defensive catchers for the Cards.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Suarez never walks anyone; four guys over the last two seasons as a closer is interesting considering the temptation to pitch around some hitters.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say this deal is about the same as the Matz deal. Slightly above average pitcher, probably has more trouble staying healthy than Matz. The two years may be better, maybe not.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Similar but I would rather pay two years instead of four even if the AAV is a little higher. Tomayto, Tomoto.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Similar but I would rather pay two years instead of four even if the AAV is a little higher. Tomayto, Tomoto

It’s a fair take. I’d argue at his age, paying him reliever money for four years isn’t a bad bet at all. There’s no guarantee we will have 5 better starters in two years to make him expendable, and if he is, we can likely trade him away and save the money anyway. I like Matz to outperform Wood over 2 and 4 years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance we could sign Kershaw to a make good 1 year deal? Not sure the extent of his injury, or return.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance we could sign Kershaw to a make good 1 year deal? Not sure the extent of his injury, or return.

From everything I have read Kershaw will either sign with the Dodgers or Rangers or retire.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A pretty good player who retired while he still had something left in the tank. I felt like Seager might have been a decent fit on the Cards at some point. Best of luck, Kyle!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why do the Cardinals not spend more? This could help answer the question.

They don’t have to in order to be the best in the division. Get to the playoffs and hope for the best.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The negotiations that don’t seem to be moving in a positive direction for the fans plus Omicron = very little to think and talk about. Is 2022 going to be as disappointing a year as the last two flat out frightening ones? I’m trying to be optimistic but this off-season sucks.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years